Changed Bookmark Link In Firefox

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I have just noticed a very anoying problem with Firefox.

Here’s the short explanation:

In Firefox, I have a bookmark for the web site of my local National Weather Service office.

I also have this link in Internet Explorer.

For some reason, when I now go to that link in Firefox, I get the National Weather Service Central Region Headquarters web site, and not the web site of mylocal NWS office.

Interestingly, when I go to the same bookmark in Internet Explorer (which can be found  in my IE 11 favorites), the local weather service web site comes up just fine.

How could this have changed in Firefox, and are there steps I can use to reinstate my preferred link in my Firefox bookmarks?

All of this is causing me to seriously consider dumping Firefox, and going to Google Chrome as my alternative to Internet Explorer.

In fact, I have installed Google Chrome on my new Windows 10 computer, and will start trying it out once I get that computer more completely set up.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Not seeing, literally, what's happening it's difficult to say.

That being said, as Internet Explorer gets creakier (and it has been creaky for quite a while and is gaining creaks with increasing speed) it often behaves somewhat differently than the flagship web browsers do.

If the link is not private in any way, please post it.  I'll take a look at what occurs in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE.

Tom Behler

Brian:

Here is the link that comes up ok in Internet Explorer 11, but differently in Firefox.

It is a public link, so no worries on that score.

https://www.weather.gov/grr/

As you check out that link, you can learn about the winter-like weather we already are having in November here in Western Lower Michigan.

Tom Behler

Not seeing, literally, what's happening it's difficult to say.

That being said, as Internet Explorer gets creakier (and it has been creaky for quite a while and is gaining creaks with increasing speed) it often behaves somewhat differently than the flagship web browsers do.

If the link is not private in any way, please post it.  I'll take a look at what occurs in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE.

Tom Behler

Brian:

It’s Tom Behler here again.

I just activated the link by copying it onto my clipboard, and then entering it into the search field in both Firefox and Intrernet Explorer, and it comes up fine.

It’s the Firefox bookmark that apparently has changed for some unknown reason.

Tom Behler

Not seeing, literally, what's happening it's difficult to say.

That being said, as Internet Explorer gets creakier (and it has been creaky for quite a while and is gaining creaks with increasing speed) it often behaves somewhat differently than the flagship web browsers do.

If the link is not private in any way, please post it.  I'll take a look at what occurs in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, and IE.

Tom,

          Just reporting back that the same page, for Grand Rapids, Michigan, opens in all four of the browsers I listed earlier and with the same format and information.

           Heaven only knows how that glitch entered into the URL itself in your Firefox bookmarks.

Tom Behler

Brian:

Do you know how I can change/correct the bookmark in Firefox?

It’s under the “from Internet Explorer” set of bookmarks.

Tom Behler

          Just reporting back that the same page, for Grand Rapids, Michigan, opens in all four of the browsers I listed earlier and with the same format and information.

           Heaven only knows how that glitch entered into the URL itself in your Firefox bookmarks.

Tom,

           Under Firefox, CTRL+SHIFT+B brings up the bookmarks manager (which, oddly enough, has the window title "Library").  The structure of the Bookmark Manager is very, very much like File Explorer.

           If you don't happen to open with it in the "From Internet Explorer" list of bookmarks, then Shift+Tab back over to the tree view, get yourself to that group, then tab back over in to the actual bookmarks list for that group.  Locate the bookmark for the page you need to edit.  Since I have no idea what you've called it or how it's stored I can't get more specific about what to search for.  Once you've landed on it, you can then hit Tab and start moving through the edit boxes for a bookmark:
  1. Name
  2. Location (the URL itself)
  3. Tags
  4. Keyword
I have never bothered with tags or keyword.  You will, of course, want to select all in the Location edit box and paste in the corrected URL.  There is no save button.  Just make sure to tab out of the field you've edited to make sure it "sticks" and you can then ALT+F4 to close the Bookmarks Manager window.

Tom Behler

Thanks, Brian.

I will give these steps a try as soon as I get a nice block of time here.

At least I know it’s fixable, although I wish I knew how the URL for the bookmark got changed in the first place.

Makes me continue to wonder how stable Firefox really is, since I’ve had other problems with it as well.

Tom Behler

[...]

            All I can tell you is that Firefox has been rock solid stable for all the years and versions I've been using it.

            What follows is not aimed personally, but it is a general observation:  Virtually always these "weird issues" and "odd problems" stem directly from operator error of some sort.  The trick is figuring out what that operator error happens to be.

             I've been around this block more times than I care to count with more types of software I care to count.  While bugs can and do account for some small fraction of "weird errors" it is a small fraction.

Tom Behler

Brian:

No worries about personal blame here.

In fact, if this was created by some sort of operator error on my part, I’d love to know what it was so I can prevent the problem from recurring in the future.

Right now, though, I have know clue what that error might have been.

Anyway, I’ll try to correct the bookmark and go from there.

I appreciate your providing the steps for me to use.

Tom Behler

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 09:24 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
In fact, if this was created by some sort of operator error on my part, I’d love to know what it was so I can prevent the problem from recurring in the future.
If only this was the reaction from everyone, all the time!  My entire goal in trying to find operator error, if it did indeed occur, is to prevent its accidentally recurring again.  You can't fix a mystery; a root cause has to be identified in order for a correction to be formulated.

Please report back with your success with correcting the bookmark or with questions should you hit a bump while trying to do so.

Tom Behler

Brian:

Your instructions for correcting a bookmark in Firefox worked flawlessly.

Thanks so much for the help.

I’m saving these steps for future reference.

Tom Behler