surveying about Flexible Web use

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I’m curious, if people use Flexible Web, where they use it.  I used it a bit when the feature was first available, but lost interest because of what I perceived to be the effort involved and the little gain.  Mostly, I was using it on newspaper sites, and with Firefox and Edge containing Reading Views, and thanks to the Mercury Reader add-on for Chrome, so does it, those browser-based features seem to obviate the need for Flexible Web.  But am I misanalyzing this? 

Dean

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

Maria Campbell

No.  Never saw the need or ease of it.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
~ Blaise Pascal ~

On 11/17/2018 4:00 PM, Dean Martineau wrote:

I’m curious, if people use Flexible Web, where they use it.  I used it a bit when the feature was first available, but lost interest because of what I perceived to be the effort involved and the little gain.  Mostly, I was using it on newspaper sites, and with Firefox and Edge containing Reading Views, and thanks to the Mercury Reader add-on for Chrome, so does it, those browser-based features seem to obviate the need for Flexible Web.  But am I misanalyzing this? 

Dean

Dan Longmore

Yes, I find little use for it.  Actually I find it confuses the issue even more for me. 

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dean Martineau
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 4:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: surveying about Flexible Web use

Dean

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I haven’t used it in a very long while.

Melissa

Dean

Michael Munn

I use flexible Web like almost daily. If I saw a Web page that I think it's clutter; I just using the Flexible Web By pressing the Insert Space Layer key and X to toggle the  Flexible Web. 
This feature was introduced in Jaws 14 I believe. 
I was rifling threw the Old FSCast the other day and I heard the demo that Jonathan Mosen Did back in 2012. 

If any of you who are interested Here is the correct link to download the FSCast 2012 September  Edition.

Thanks 
Best Regards 
Michael Munn  
Michael Munn
Member:
Virginia Association of Blind students 
Member:
Maryland Association of Blind Students 
Students of:
Hadley Institute of the Blind
Hadley 

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 5:54 PM Melissa Stott <mstott69@...> wrote:

I haven’t used it in a very long while.

Melissa

Dean

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

By the way, there are various browser extensions to manage cluttered webpages. Firefox has it's own reader view, for instance. However, ad blockers do wonders! They're also able to block those ridiculous social media sharing buttons.

I don't want to use something like flexible web that's built-into a screen reader. Mostly because I think adding extra features like that causes bloat. I really enjoy the way NVDA does things with add-ons. Also, I'd rather have my browser manage my web activity. The screen reader is there simply for one purpose, to make the web usable for me.

Things like quick nav, and OCR for PDF documents make the web usable. Although OCR is a separate thing. I also have never used research it. Why? because I enjoy web surfing!

Matthew Horspool

Hi Dean,

I find the name "Flexible Web" rather ironic as the reason why I don't use it is because it is not "Flexible" enough! I did use it very extensively when it was launched, but got fed up with rules not applying between browsers, and also I found I was having to create dozens of rules when only one would suffice if only I had a bit more control over how the feature worked.

For example, I want to be able to create a rule that says: on all web pages, in all browsers, suppress any frame with the word "google" in its URL. Thus suppressing all Google ads in one rule. This is not possible.

I'm a Chrome user and am just waiting for it to implement a reader mode. In the meantime I know about the Greesemonkey add-on and, when I get enough time to sit and play, I will get that working. Surely it will be more effective than Flexible Web.

Matthew

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dean Martineau
Sent: 17 November 2018 21:00

Dean

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

There is another Chrome add-in, Mercury Reader, which produces a nice reader view.  I don’t know about GreaseMonkey, so I’ll have to look into that. Your conclusions regarding Flexible Web are the same as mine so far.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Matthew Horspool
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 7:31 AM
Subject: Re: surveying about Flexible Web use

Hi Dean,

I find the name "Flexible Web" rather ironic as the reason why I don't use it is because it is not "Flexible" enough! I did use it very extensively when it was launched, but got fed up with rules not applying between browsers, and also I found I was having to create dozens of rules when only one would suffice if only I had a bit more control over how the feature worked.

For example, I want to be able to create a rule that says: on all web pages, in all browsers, suppress any frame with the word "google" in its URL. Thus suppressing all Google ads in one rule. This is not possible.

I'm a Chrome user and am just waiting for it to implement a reader mode. In the meantime I know about the Greesemonkey add-on and, when I get enough time to sit and play, I will get that working. Surely it will be more effective than Flexible Web.

Matthew

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dean Martineau
Sent: 17 November 2018 21:00

Dean