Excel 2016 and JAWS 2019 Always Crashing on Exit

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using JAWS 2019 with Excel 2016.  Every time I exit Excel (alt+F4) after saving my workbook (Controls), both Excel and JAWS crash.  I do not know which crashes first, if that matters.  JAWS automatically restarts.  Excel comes up with the dialogue box saying that the program has stopped working and asks me if I would like to restart the program.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Richard

Do you use Windows 7 or Windows 10?

This used to happen a lot to me under Windows 7, Windows 10 rarely ever crashes any more and Jaws under Windows 10 while offering reduced accessibility for many legacy applications I use rarely ever crashes, either.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 6:39 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Excel 2016 and JAWS 2019 Always Crashing on Exit

Hi!

I am using JAWS 2019 with Excel 2016.  Every time I exit Excel (alt+F4) after saving my workbook (Controls), both Excel and JAWS crash.  I do not know which crashes first, if that matters.  JAWS automatically restarts.  Excel comes up with the dialogue box saying that the program has stopped working and asks me if I would like to restart the program.

Thanks,

Richard

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

I often have these crashes when exiting Excel with JAWS 2018. I have not tried it with JAWS 2019 yet. I am running Windows 7.

Pam

Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 9:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Excel 2016 and JAWS 2019 Always Crashing on Exit

This used to happen a lot to me under Windows 7, Windows 10 rarely ever crashes any more and Jaws under Windows 10 while offering reduced accessibility for many legacy applications I use rarely ever crashes, either.

Hi!

I am using JAWS 2019 with Excel 2016. Every time I exit Excel (alt+F4) after saving my workbook (Controls), both Excel and JAWS crash. I do not know which crashes first, if that matters. JAWS automatically restarts. Excel comes up with the dialogue box saying that the program has stopped working and asks me if I would like to restart the program.

Thanks,
Richard

Richard B. McDonald

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 6:51 AM

Hi!

Thanks,

Richard

Chris Hill

Haven’t noticed with windows 10. 

On Nov 17, 2018, at 11:58, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

Hi!

Thanks,

Richard

Exactly, this happened a lot or maybe I should say it happened almost always in Windows 7 but it's not an issue in Windows 10. That is why I asked if this was Windows 7 or Windows 10. Windows 10 almost never crashes and Jaws 2018 and Jaws 2019 crash very rarely. Of course there is the little problem that in Windows 10 there are a number of other accessibility issues including greatly reduced usefulness of the Jaws cursor, but strictly when it comes to how stabil it is I have no complaints.

I wouldn't hold my breath that anything will change with respect to this issue of Jaws/Excel in Windows 7 given that Windows 7 is very much on the backburner these days.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 10:14 AM

Haven’t noticed with windows 10. 

On Nov 17, 2018, at 11:58, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

Hi!

Thanks,

Richard

Lee, Amanda * <amanda.lee@...>

I have been experiencing this issue for quite sometime with JAWS 18 as I can’t always readily upgrade to new versions here due to group policy, etc.  It’s annoying and the only solution I have is to launch another Screen Reader to Restart excel.

Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 9:39 AM

Hi!

Thanks,

Richard

Debby Hill

Hi Amanda,

Maybe you have already tried this, but have you gone to the file menu and exit and tried to get out from there? I remember a couple of years ago I had a similar problem with Acrobat professional. I think that is the way I had to exit because if I used alt+f4 everything crashed and I would have to restart the computer. That was before the days that JAWS could right itself.

Good luck!

Debby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lee, Amanda * via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 9:51 AM

I have been experiencing this issue for quite sometime with JAWS 18 as I can’t always readily upgrade to new versions here due to group policy, etc.  It’s annoying and the only solution I have is to launch another Screen Reader to Restart excel.

Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 9:39 AM

Hi!

Thanks,

Richard

romance's prince

hi, 

i've the same issue in both jaws 2018 and jaws 2019 with excel_16, yes i'm using windows_7
any help for this noisy issue?
i tried to close it using  file, exit; but the problem still the same
sometimes excel only crash not jaws.
  thanks

For whatever it is worth this problem completely disappeared for me after I started using Windows 10. Not sure if there really is a fix if you are still on Windows 7. I guess you could always see what happens if you unload Jaws, then close excel and reload Jaws.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of romance's prince via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2019 2:40 PM

hi, 

i've the same issue in both jaws 2018 and jaws 2019 with excel_16, yes i'm using windows_7
any help for this noisy issue?
i tried to close it using  file, exit; but the problem still the same
sometimes excel only crash not jaws.
  thanks