scanning a PDF

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Hello,

I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.

I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.

I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.

Should I be doing something else?

Cheers,

Kevin

Do you know what the content of the file is (and I mean that generally)?

It is entirely possible that there is no text that can be OCRed, for example, if the file is several pages of photographs.

Milton Ota <mota1252@...>

Hi:
You might want to try this---
Unload JAWS and then restart JAWS either from your Desktop or shortcut key then see if it reads.

I have been noticing this problem on occasion with not only PDF files but also when reading a DAISY file with FSReader.
Junloading and restarting JAWS seems to fix the problem.

I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.
I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.
I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.
Should I be doing something else?
Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

I purchased a book titled accessibility handbook  - making 508 compliance web sites. It is a Kindle book. Jaws was able to read all but the text in a picture format. So I talked to the publisher about the problem and they gave me an electronic version in a PDF file. When I go into the book Jaws just says empty page. I paged down a few pages and Jaws keeps saying the same thing. The publisher is going to provide feedback to the writer of the book. So much for creating accessible web sites when the book has portions that are not accessible. Makes me wonder if the writer of the book is really knowledgeable of creating accessible web sites.

Do you know what the content of the file is (and I mean that generally)?

It is entirely possible that there is no text that can be OCRed, for example, if the file is several pages of photographs.

If you're willing to send me a copy of the PDF I can at least take a look at it.

You have to remember that the author has absolutely nothing to do with the typesetting of a book.  That's the publisher's doing.  But if the majority of the book is text, and I have no reason to believe it's not, the issue with OCR remains a mystery to me as PDF for professionally published material generally doesn't need to be OCRed at all, since it's a text-based PDF in almost all cases.

Bill Tillery <trbft@...>

Whenever I receive files of this nature and all else fails;  I open the document, though it indicates no text, print it out, and then use another OCR program to scan and reat.  Such as, Openbook, KNFB,  Seeing AI, or Envision.  HTH

I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.

I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.

I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.

Should I be doing something else?

Cheers,

Kevin

Van Lant, Robin

If it’s like the problem I was having today, you might also try loading the Touch cursor once you think the OCR is done and seeing if it then reads.   I could see text in the viewer today, but JAWS virtual cursor was not reading it. Only the Touch Cursor would read the OCR results.

Whenever I receive files of this nature and all else fails;  I open the document, though it indicates no text, print it out, and then use another OCR program to scan and reat.  Such as, Openbook, KNFB,  Seeing AI, or Envision.  HTH

I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.

I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.

I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.

Should I be doing something else?

Cheers,

Kevin

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Kevin,

If you have Openbook installed you can use it to read this empty PDF file by doing the following:
1. Open the file and press, Control + P, for the print command.
2. After the printer selection list populates navigate to, Freedom Import Printer, and press enter.
3. Give Openbook a little time to get started, and after it starts it'll scan the file then you can save it in your format of choice of the options given by Openbook
Also, if you want to send me the file off list I use a converter and I can convert into other formats that aren't offered by Openbook.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:22 PM

I purchased a book titled accessibility handbook  - making 508 compliance web sites. It is a Kindle book. Jaws was able to read all but the text in a picture format. So I talked to the publisher about the problem and they gave me an electronic version in a PDF file. When I go into the book Jaws just says empty page. I paged down a few pages and Jaws keeps saying the same thing. The publisher is going to provide feedback to the writer of the book. So much for creating accessible web sites when the book has portions that are not accessible. Makes me wonder if the writer of the book is really knowledgeable of creating accessible web sites.

Do you know what the content of the file is (and I mean that generally)?

It is entirely possible that there is no text that can be OCRed, for example, if the file is several pages of photographs.

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I’m a little confused here.  Did you use JAWS OCR, insert+space, o, d?  You didn’t mention having done that.  Assuming you did, as you likely did, then I would definitely run a dedicated OCR program, K1000 being my preference, OpenBook, FineReader, OmniPage.  Interestingly, having Googled OCR, I see several free online converters that may work.

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:22 PM

I purchased a book titled accessibility handbook  - making 508 compliance web sites. It is a Kindle book. Jaws was able to read all but the text in a picture format. So I talked to the publisher about the problem and they gave me an electronic version in a PDF file. When I go into the book Jaws just says empty page. I paged down a few pages and Jaws keeps saying the same thing. The publisher is going to provide feedback to the writer of the book. So much for creating accessible web sites when the book has portions that are not accessible. Makes me wonder if the writer of the book is really knowledgeable of creating accessible web sites.

Do you know what the content of the file is (and I mean that generally)?

It is entirely possible that there is no text that can be OCRed, for example, if the file is several pages of photographs.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

How many pages is the file and how long did you wait?

I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.

I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.

I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.

Should I be doing something else?

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

I waited for about 2 minutes. I found out that the first 4-5 pages have something Jaws couldn’t read. If I kept paging down I eventually reached the text.

How many pages is the file and how long did you wait?

I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.

I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.

I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.

Should I be doing something else?

Cheers,

Kevin

Milton Ota <mota1252@...>

Hi All,
As we are on the topic of scanning a PDF file, I discovered that if you are running windows 10, Office 365/Word 2016 you can import the PDF file into Word.

In the folder where the PDF is located, use Shift-F10 to bring up the context/application Menu. Select Open with and then Select Word.

There will be two prompts warning you that you are about to import the file and once you have accepted the two prompts the importing into Word will begin. Depending on the size of the file it may take a while for the conversion.

Formatting may change so be aware of that.

Hope this helps.

I waited for about 2 minutes. I found out that the first 4-5 pages have something Jaws couldn’t read. If I kept paging down I eventually reached the text.
How many pages is the file and how long did you wait?
I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.
I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.
I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.
Should I be doing something else?
Cheers,
Kevin

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

But will this actually do OCR on an image PDF?

How many pages is the file and how long did you wait?
I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will
not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.
I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went
into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the
OCR. It never read anything.
I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It
still didn’t read anything.
Should I be doing something else?
Cheers,
Kevin

Ann Byrne

Absolutely. although I have found that with longer files the process just hangs.