scanning a PDF

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Hello,

I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.

I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.

I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.

Should I be doing something else?

Cheers,

Kevin

Do you know what the content of the file is (and I mean that generally)?

It is entirely possible that there is no text that can be OCRed, for example, if the file is several pages of photographs.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Milton Ota <mota1252@...>

Hi:
You might want to try this---
Unload JAWS and then restart JAWS either from your Desktop or shortcut key then see if it reads.

I have been noticing this problem on occasion with not only PDF files but also when reading a DAISY file with FSReader.
Junloading and restarting JAWS seems to fix the problem.

Original message:

Hello,
I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.
I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the OCR. It never read anything.
I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It still didn’t read anything.
Cheers,
Kevin

I purchased a book titled accessibility handbook  - making 508 compliance web sites. It is a Kindle book. Jaws was able to read all but the text in a picture format. So I talked to the publisher about the problem and they gave me an electronic version in a PDF file. When I go into the book Jaws just says empty page. I paged down a few pages and Jaws keeps saying the same thing. The publisher is going to provide feedback to the writer of the book. So much for creating accessible web sites when the book has portions that are not accessible. Makes me wonder if the writer of the book is really knowledgeable of creating accessible web sites.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: scanning a PDF

It is entirely possible that there is no text that can be OCRed, for example, if the file is several pages of photographs.

--

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

If you're willing to send me a copy of the PDF I can at least take a look at it.

You have to remember that the author has absolutely nothing to do with the typesetting of a book.  That's the publisher's doing.  But if the majority of the book is text, and I have no reason to believe it's not, the issue with OCR remains a mystery to me as PDF for professionally published material generally doesn't need to be OCRed at all, since it's a text-based PDF in almost all cases.

--

Bill Tillery <trbft@...>

Whenever I receive files of this nature and all else fails;  I open the document, though it indicates no text, print it out, and then use another OCR program to scan and reat.  Such as, Openbook, KNFB,  Seeing AI, or Envision.  HTH

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:29 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: scanning a PDF

Hello,

Cheers,

Kevin

Van Lant, Robin

If it’s like the problem I was having today, you might also try loading the Touch cursor once you think the OCR is done and seeing if it then reads.   I could see text in the viewer today, but JAWS virtual cursor was not reading it. Only the Touch Cursor would read the OCR results.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Tillery
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:47 PM

Whenever I receive files of this nature and all else fails;  I open the document, though it indicates no text, print it out, and then use another OCR program to scan and reat.  Such as, Openbook, KNFB,  Seeing AI, or Envision.  HTH

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:29 PM

Hello,

Cheers,

Kevin

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Kevin,

If you have Openbook installed you can use it to read this empty PDF file by doing the following:
1. Open the file and press, Control + P, for the print command.
2. After the printer selection list populates navigate to, Freedom Import Printer, and press enter.
3. Give Openbook a little time to get started, and after it starts it'll scan the file then you can save it in your format of choice of the options given by Openbook
Also, if you want to send me the file off list I use a converter and I can convert into other formats that aren't offered by Openbook.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:22 PM

I purchased a book titled accessibility handbook  - making 508 compliance web sites. It is a Kindle book. Jaws was able to read all but the text in a picture format. So I talked to the publisher about the problem and they gave me an electronic version in a PDF file. When I go into the book Jaws just says empty page. I paged down a few pages and Jaws keeps saying the same thing. The publisher is going to provide feedback to the writer of the book. So much for creating accessible web sites when the book has portions that are not accessible. Makes me wonder if the writer of the book is really knowledgeable of creating accessible web sites.

--

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I’m a little confused here.  Did you use JAWS OCR, insert+space, o, d?  You didn’t mention having done that.  Assuming you did, as you likely did, then I would definitely run a dedicated OCR program, K1000 being my preference, OpenBook, FineReader, OmniPage.  Interestingly, having Googled OCR, I see several free online converters that may work.

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 7:49 PM

Hi Kevin,

If you have Openbook installed you can use it to read this empty PDF file by doing the following:

1. Open the file and press, Control + P, for the print command.

2. After the printer selection list populates navigate to, Freedom Import Printer, and press enter.

3. Give Openbook a little time to get started, and after it starts it'll scan the file then you can save it in your format of choice of the options given by Openbook

Also, if you want to send me the file off list I use a converter and I can convert into other formats that aren't offered by Openbook.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:22 PM

--

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

How many pages is the file and how long did you wait?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:29 PM

Hello,

Cheers,

Kevin

I waited for about 2 minutes. I found out that the first 4-5 pages have something Jaws couldn’t read. If I kept paging down I eventually reached the text.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:00 PM

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers

Hello,

Cheers,

Kevin

Milton Ota <mota1252@...>

Hi All,
As we are on the topic of scanning a PDF file, I discovered that if you are running windows 10, Office 365/Word 2016 you can import the PDF file into Word.

In the folder where the PDF is located, use Shift-F10 to bring up the context/application Menu. Select Open with and then Select Word.

There will be two prompts warning you that you are about to import the file and once you have accepted the two prompts the importing into Word will begin. Depending on the size of the file it may take a while for the conversion.

Formatting may change so be aware of that.

Hope this helps.

Original message:

I waited for about 2 minutes. I found out that the first 4-5 pages have something Jaws couldn’t read. If I kept paging down I eventually reached the text.
From: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
To: jfw@groups.io <mailto:jfw@groups.io>
Hello,
Cheers,
Kevin

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

But will this actually do OCR on an image PDF?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Milton Ota
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:35 AM
To: kevinmeyers@wi.rr.com
Cc: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi All,
As we are on the topic of scanning a PDF file, I discovered that if you
are running windows 10, Office 365/Word 2016 you can import the PDF
file into Word.

In the folder where the PDF is located, use Shift-F10 to bring up the
context/application Menu. Select Open with and then Select Word.

There will be two prompts warning you that you are about to import the
file and once you have accepted the two prompts the importing into Word
will begin. Depending on the size of the file it may take a while for
the conversion.

Hope this helps.

Original message:

I waited for about 2 minutes. I found out that the first 4-5 pages have
something Jaws couldn’t read. If I kept paging down I eventually
reached the text.
<main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Hello,
I’m using windows10 and Jaws2018. I received a PDF file that Jaws will
not read. I tried to use the OCR in Jaws and that didn’t read it as well.
I put the cursor on the file name in my download folder. I then went
into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the
OCR. It never read anything.
I then went into the PDF and did the same with activating the OCR. It
still didn’t read anything.
Cheers,
Kevin

Ann Byrne

Absolutely. although I have found that with longer files the process just hangs.

At 07:57 AM 11/15/2018, you wrote:

Hi All,
As we are on the topic of scanning a PDF file, I discovered that if you
are running windows 10, Office 365/Word 2016 you can import the PDF
file into Word.

In the folder where the PDF is located, use Shift-F10 to bring up the
context/application Menu. Select Open with and then Select Word.

There will be two prompts warning you that you are about to import the
file and once you have accepted the two prompts the importing into Word
will begin. Depending on the size of the file it may take a while for
the conversion.

Hope this helps.

Original message:

I waited for about 2 minutes. I found out that the first 4-5 pages have
something Jaws couldn’t read. If I kept paging down I eventually
reached the text.
<main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Hello,
into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start the
OCR. It never read anything.
Cheers,
Kevin

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

In Office 365 Word 2016 does indeed do OCR on the PDF.
I have an image PDF I keep around for such testing.
If I just hit enter on it so the computer opens it in Adobe Acrobat DC, then Jaws offers to do OCR on the document.
If I do shift+f10 or use the applications key, and elect to open it in Word, I get a message that Word will now convert the document to an editable word document. I just tested both with my image pdf and I would say that Word did a little better job than did Jaws.
But, either way is quite good. If you have Office 365 though, and you want to then save the document, using Word means you don't have to copy it from the Jaws virtual screen and paste it into a document.

Ironically enough, the image PDF is a brochure about the Pac Mate ...

Richard

“Definition of an expert: An ex is a has-been and a spirt is a drip under pressure.” – Bruce U. Utah Phillips

Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:57 AM

Hi All,
As we are on the topic of scanning a PDF file, I discovered that if you are running windows 10, Office 365/Word 2016 you can import the PDF file into Word.

In the folder where the PDF is located, use Shift-F10 to bring up the context/application Menu. Select Open with and then Select Word.

There will be two prompts warning you that you are about to import the file and once you have accepted the two prompts the importing into Word will begin. Depending on the size of the file it may take a while for the conversion.

Hope this helps.

Original message:

I waited for about 2 minutes. I found out that the first 4-5 pages
have something Jaws couldn’t read. If I kept paging down I eventually
reached the text.
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
<main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Kevin
Meyers
Hello,
into the jaws window and pressed the necessary key strokes to start
the OCR. It never read anything.
Cheers,
Kevin