How does one start Microsoft Narrator at the Login Screen in Windows 10?

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi,

A family member has given me permission to use her Windows 10 machine to see how I like it. It doesn’t have a screen reader on it at the moment. I have the Login info, but is there a way to turn on Narrator immediately after Powering it on, i.e., before logging in to the computer? She is travelling at the moment, and I don’t have sighted assistance here for a while.

Also, how can I review Narrator commands from my PC running JAWS before I attempt this on the Windows 10 machine?

Thanks in advance. Keith

Chris Chaffin

control windows enter will start narrator.  This is a toggle keystroke, so the same keystroke will exit narrator.

HTH,

Chris
,

On Nov 11, 2018, at 7:12 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Groups.Io <kramlinger.keith@...> wrote:

Hi,

A family member has given me permission to use her Windows 10 machine to see how I like it. It doesn’t have a screen reader on it at the moment. I have the Login info, but is there a way to turn on Narrator immediately after Powering it on, i.e., before logging in to the computer? She is travelling at the moment, and I don’t have sighted assistance here for a while.

Also, how can I review Narrator commands from my PC running JAWS before I attempt this on the Windows 10 machine?

Thanks in advance. Keith

If the PC has been upgraded to version 1809 before that update got pulled Narrator will offer you a tutorital after you start it. In case it has not yet been upgraded the Narrator experience will be quite different, Microsoft has made a lot of improvements in the 1809 version of Windows.

Of course in my opinion it still cannot be compared with the Jaws 2019 experience so whatever you get out of using this PC with Narrator maybe of limited value.

[...]

Ann Byrne

Starting on the logon screen, the shortcut Windows+ctrl+enter will work if it is set up, but not if it isn't. So if you try the shortcut on the logon screen and nothing happens, try this:

1. Press ctrl+escape to get to the start menu.
2. Type Windows+r (run)
3. Type "narrator" and press enter.

Once you have Narrator running, tinker with the settings. Be sure the 'use shortcut key' is checked. If you want narrator to start automatically on the logon screen, check that setting. There is also a setting to start Narrator automatically after logon, which can be checked.

The list of Narrator shortcut keys will display when you press capslock+f1.

Hi Ann,

When Keith speaks about the logon screen I assume he means the password screen. If Windows Key+Control+Enter does not start Narrator then nothing else will either, what you describe first would require him to have entered the password to log in and get to the desktop.
Also, Windows Key+R for the Run command can be pressed anywhere if you are logged in, there is no need to first press Control+Escape which is exactly the same as pressing the Windows key anyways.
Lastly, you can go to the Run dialogue and type Narrator, but you can also simply press the Windows key to bring up the Windows search box and type Narrator and press enter to start it.
In most cases even typing the first 3 or 4 letters of Narrator will bring it up in the Windows search box and pressing enter will start it.

Starting on the logon screen, the shortcut Windows+ctrl+enter will
work if it is set up, but not if it isn't. So if you try the
shortcut on the logon screen and nothing happens, try this:

1. Press ctrl+escape to get to the start menu.
2. Type Windows+r (run)
3. Type "narrator" and press enter.

Once you have Narrator running, tinker with the settings. Be sure
the 'use shortcut key' is checked. If you want narrator to start
automatically on the logon screen, check that setting. There is also
a setting to start Narrator automatically after logon, which can be checked.

The list of Narrator shortcut keys will display when you press capslock+f1.

Richard Turner

Keith,
If you don't find the Narrator commands, write me off list and I'll send you a document of them.

Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books which are your very own." __  Sir Arthur Conan Doyle