entries in jaws dictionary

mike mcglashon

Hi guys:

I have a question regarding dictionary entries in jaws, 2019;

Here’s how it goes:

When I read court cases;

There are embedded page numbers within the case;

For instance,

A case might start on page 350 and go to 360;

Within the case, as one reads, he will find [*350), [*351), [*352], etc up to [*360].

What I would like to do,

Is when jaws sees these page number strings, [*3, where [*3 is part of the string for [*351];

I wish jaws to say, “official reporter page” and then the page numbers within the brackets;

So, when jaws sees [*354], it will say “official reporter page 354”

I tried making entries for this, but jaws will say “official reporter page” but it won’t say the page number within the brackets;

How do I put in the wildcard within the replacement word box so that jaws will say “official reporter page” and yet still read the original word that it is on;

Better yet, instead of having jaws say “official reporter page”, I have it make a sound and yet still read the string of original text?

My goal is since I know that there is only one star (*) between the left bracket and the beginning of the page number, I can make ten entries within the dictionary,

All that either say “official page reporter” and then the original string saying the page number itself,

Or I can have jaws play a sound when it sees that string, and then still say the actual word which is the page number of the reporter that I am on at the time.

I hope I haven’t confused anyone?

Please advise as necessary.

Mike m.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

Dave...

Mike,

Not sure that's possible with the JAWS Dictionary. And I think the asterisk is the wildcard character, and searching for that may not work. Your solution might require writing a JAWS script for the application you're     using to read these documents.

Dave

Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 06:58
Subject: entries in jaws dictionary

[...]

wow,
That’s out of my league.
How would a fellow even begin to do something like that?

contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@...

Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 06:58

[...]

No idea myself. I don't write scripts. I'm retired and only have time to do woodworking or trying to stay retired. Writing scripts sounds too much like programming, which I did plenty of when I was not retired.

Dave

Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2018 06:58

[...]

Mario

Mike, do asterisks (AKA stars) appear any where else within the
document? if not, you can make an entry with the actual word as an
asterisk and the replacement word as page number. the result should say
page number followed by the actual page number in the document when ever
JAWS reads all or if you need to edit.

Email: michael.mcglashon@comcast.net

On Nov 11, 2018, at 10:07 AM, Dave... <dgcarlson@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[...]

Yes, stars do appear in the document.
With each case read,
There are generally three reporters to which the case is published.
As I read, I will see something like:
[*123] this represents the official reporter; (this is what I am most interested in);
[**123] this represents the highest unofficial reporter;
[***123] this represents the second level unofficial reporter;

I think I tried to do what you said once,
In that,
I put an entry in like this:
Actual word: [*1 replacement word: "official reporter page"
All jaws did at that point, was to say "official reporter page" it did not read the actual word which would have been [*123].
I expected jaws to say "official reporter page" and then the page number which would be the actual word.

Mike mcglashon
[...]

because of the three levels of page numbering, I think David's right
about writing or having a script written to do what you want, and I
don't have the mind set understanding to write such a script. but I do
think it would be a fairly simple matter of using if/then/else
statements in a SayAll script.

[...]

.

Matthew Horspool

Hi Mike,

With a rule such as you describe, the number 1 is part of the actual word but not part of the replacement word and so JAWS won't speak it.

To take an easier example: actual word dog; replacement word cat. This tells JAWS that, whenever it sees the word "dog", it should say "cat". Not "doccat" or "caddog", just "cat".

So, to make that rule do what you want, you would need: actual word [*1, replacement word official reporter page 1.

This is assuming that it worked as you described in the first place, which surprises me because, as others have said, the * is the wildcard character!

Matthew