From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Angie Goodnight
Sent: November 8, 2018 4:14
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: New Computer

Good morning all,

I recently bought a new HP Laptop. I am having a couple of problems but I think it is me not the computer. Some of my shortcut keys are not working such as Insert F7 for links, or F7 for Spell Check. I cannot seem to find the application key where in the past it has always been two keys to the right of the space bar. I have my keyboard set to laptop. I have had no luck trying to search these issues online. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Angie Goodnight

Kimber Gardner

Just guessing here, but there may not be an application key at all. I
just bought a laptop that doesn't have one and it's going back to the
seller.

As for the function keys, they may be set to perform hardware
functions rather than the application specific functions you would
expect. I'm not sure how you would change that on an HP laptop. But
you can get the app specific function by holding down the FN key while
pressing the function keys.

I hope this helps.

--
Kimberly

Richard Turner

Try insert 1 and tap all the keys and see what jaws says. Then insert 1 to turn off keyboard help.
Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books which are your very own." __ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

On Nov 8, 2018, at 4:55 AM, Kimber Gardner <kimbersinbox1963@...> wrote:

[...]

7I did do that and it says nothing. A couple of F Keys with insert just say escape.

[...]

Jason White

This won't help here, but on Lenovo Thinkpad laptops, pressing FN+Escape
switches the function keys between the mode in which they act as function
keys, and the mode in which they perform specialized operations.

I switched mine to function key mode and left it there. The change is
persistent across reboots.

wrote:

[...]

Mario

in case it's not too late, on a laptop, the use of a missing application
key is usually achieved by pressing shift+f10.

[...]

Thanks, but I think I am still going to go for a different laptop. It
looks like if I go for a 15 inch instead of a 13 inch I can get all
the keys I want and maybe even save a few dollars.

On 11/8/18, Mario <mrb620@...> wrote:
[...]

Why don't you go where you bought it and ask them to make sure the function keys are enabled, as others pointed out it most likely is set up by default so you have to press the FN together with whatever function key combination, e.g. Jaws Key+FN+F7 would give you your list of links.

As for the application key that is just not there on many laptops and even desktop keyboards, just use Shift+F10, it does the same thing.