Topics

Evaluating laptop keyboards for jaws functionality

Kimber Gardner

Hi All,

How do jaws users evaluate a keyboard on a laptop you are considering?
I'm talking about the presence (or absence) of keys that are necessary
to the functionality of jaws commands.

I received a new Lenovo Ideapad and was dismayed to realize that the
keyboard is missing not only the applications key but also the
dedicated home, end, page up and page down keys. Strangely, my old
Lenovo, the one I am typing this message on, has all these keys so it
never occurred to me to try and verify that the new one would also.
But now I'm wondering, how do you check the keyboard specs when
ordering a new laptop that you haven't actually had your hands on?

Before someone suggests an external keyboard let me say that I require
the portability of a laptop that doesn't necessitate dragging around
an extra keyboard. I also don't really want to remap a bunch of keys
to accomplish everyday functions.

So what do people suggest? Do I really have to drag myself over to
microcenter or some other store so I can actually touch the laptop I'm
considering? Is there another way?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kim

--
Kimberly

Mich Verrier

Hi Kim. I think that would be really the only way unless you can find a laptop with a full sised keybord that would work getting a feel for keybords would be the only way. for instince I am using my del laptop with full keybord and this is something that I made shure to ask for when getting this laptop from my vender that it has a full sised keybord. Hth. From Mich.

[...]

Richard Turner

The keyboard specs should be part of the details about the laptop before you place the order. Of course, putting your hands on one first is the best way to go. I have not used the jaws laptop layout, but it is suppose to give you all the functionality of the full keyboard.
Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books which are your very own." __ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

On Nov 8, 2018, at 4:34 AM, Mich Verrier <michv@...> wrote:

YHi Kim. I think that would be really the only way unless you can find a laptop with a full sised keybord that would work getting a feel for keybords would be the only way. for instince I am using my del laptop with full keybord and this is something that I made shure to ask for when getting this laptop from my vender that it has a full sised keybord. Hth. From Mich.

[...]

Chris Hill

Hello.  There really is no way to know what you're getting with a mail-order laptop.  Also, the big box stores aren't going to be beaten by much on the price of a large item like that, they over-price small stuff but are pretty competitive on the big stuff.  Mail-order laptops aren't really worth the risk.

Now, as far as what you're dealing with, I've spent a lot of time in the last year looking at laptop keyboards.  There are generally other ways to do what you need to do.  For your home end, page up and page down, try holding down the fn key (usually it is either the left most key on the bottom row, or it is the second from the left and using the arrow keys.  On my laptop there is also a special combination for the applications key, I believe it is fn plus the key just to the left of the separate arrows.  You can always fall back on the applications combination that was around before the separate key, that was shift-f10.

Another sweet litttle trick manufacturers do is to make the up and down arrows as half-height keys, HP seems to like that one. The best keyboard I saw all year comes from Asus, and if I had to buy a laptop right now, I'd start looking there.

On 11/8/2018 05:55, Kimber Gardner wrote:
[...]

Mike Ulrich <mulrich@...>

If I’m not mistaken, you have to look at the total number of keys that are on the laptop. If I believe correctly, a full-size keyboard has something like 128 keys or so, or something like that? See what I’m saying? Hope this helps.

On Nov 8, 2018, at 8:05 AM, Chris Hill <hillco@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, it used to be 101 keys, but I don't remember if that was before or after the windows key.  Good luck getting that information, though, I don't think I've read it anywhere lately.

The only way to know is to take a very observant sighted person and go shopping, or be prepared to return whatever it is you buy. Heck, even Microsoft has left a separate applications key off of some of their keyboards and they invented the thing.

On 11/8/2018 08:01, Mike Ulrich wrote:
[...]

I evaluate it by going to a computer store and putting my hands on it. This is one situation where ordering online can just be a less satisfying experience.
Also, you mentioned you bought a 13 inch model, anything less than a 15 inch laptop will never have as complete a keyboard just because it's not large enough. There are plenty of 15 inch laptops out there which have full keyboards including a numeric pad. My Asus Zenbook has an application key, but I'm so used to pressing Shift+F10 that I rarely use it.

[...]

Soronel Haetir

While I find an applications key incredibly nice I can get around
that, doing without the numpad would be much more troublesome.

A full-size regular US qwerty keyboard (but without function specific
keys like volume up/down) has 102 or 103 keys.

On 11/8/18, Sieghard Weitzel <@Sieghard> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@...

Kimber Gardner

The Asus ZenBook is one I'm considering. I can live with a 15 inch
model for the better keyboard. I don't carry my laptop around all that
often, but sometimes when I attend conferences the portability is
essential. So for those situations a good keyboard is a must.

Are you happy with the ZenBook overall?

[...]

netbat66

i don't know if this would effect jaws. but be aware that some del and hp computers do not have a numlock key so you can not turn the number pad off to use the jaws functions. you would have to use the laptop layout even with a desktop keyboard.

[...]

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip.