Start/Stop Narrator with a single key combination?

Tim Ford

HI All,

I heard recently that Windows Narrator can be started and stopped by the combination of windows key and enter.  Maybe I heard that wrong, because that key combination instead selects whatever Desktop icon happens to have focus.  Does anyone know what key combination does this start/stop of Narrator?  I am running Windows 7.

Tim Ford

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi Tim,

I’m not entirely sure, but I believe the keystroke you mentioned became effective in Windows 8.

Keith

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Start/Stop Narrator with a single key combination?

HI All,

I heard recently that Windows Narrator can be started and stopped by the combination of windows key and enter.  Maybe I heard that wrong, because that key combination instead selects whatever Desktop icon happens to have focus.  Does anyone know what key combination does this start/stop of Narrator?  I am running Windows 7.

Tim Ford

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

As far as I know this combination only works with Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade.

If you are running Windows 7 you can still get Narrator going, however, just type Windows Key+R for the Run command and then type Narrator followed by enter.

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:34 PM

HI All,

Tim Ford

Hank & Patty <hank1patty@...>

Hello,

I use Windows 8.1 & I just tried it turning narrator on & off with the Windows key & the Enter key & yes, this key combination works on Windows 8.1.

All the best,

Hank

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: Start/Stop Narrator with a single key combination?

As far as I know this combination only works with Windows 10 Anniversary Upgrade.

If you are running Windows 7 you can still get Narrator going, however, just type Windows Key+R for the Run command and then type Narrator followed by enter.

HI All,

Tim Ford

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

On Sep 28, 2016, at 2:47 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

From: main@jfw.groups.io[mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim Ford
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Start/Stop Narrator with a single key combination?

HI All,

Tim Ford

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Hi Sieghard,

In Windows 7, Windows-U should also launch Narrator.

Les

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel

As far as I know this combination only works with Windows 10 Anniversary
Upgrade.

If you are running Windows 7 you can still get Narrator going, however, just
type Windows Key+R for the Run command and then type Narrator followed by
enter.

HI All,

I heard recently that Windows Narrator can be started and stopped by the
combination of windows key and enter. Maybe I heard that wrong, because
that key combination instead selects whatever Desktop icon happens to have
focus. Does anyone know what key combination does this start/stop of
Narrator? I am running Windows 7.

Tim Ford

Tim Ford

The Windows key and u command takes you to the control panel ease of access center, but you then need to tab to the start narrator button, or press alt and the letter n and it will go to and start narrator. A bit cumbersome, hence my interest in a direct key combination, which apparently does not exist for us old Windows 7 folks.

Tim Ford

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:13 PM

Hi Sieghard,

Les

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel

As far as I know this combination only works with Windows 10 Anniversary
Upgrade.

If you are running Windows 7 you can still get Narrator going, however, just
type Windows Key+R for the Run command and then type Narrator followed by
enter.

HI All,

I heard recently that Windows Narrator can be started and stopped by the
combination of windows key and enter. Maybe I heard that wrong, because
that key combination instead selects whatever Desktop icon happens to have
focus. Does anyone know what key combination does this start/stop of
Narrator? I am running Windows 7.

Tim Ford

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

No, it didn't even exist in Windows 10 before the anniversary update. It is, however, just one more keypress, Windows+U or Windows+Enter is about the same and in Windows 7 you just have to follow up with an Alt+N. Also, and this is just a question, why not upgrade to Windows 10? You may of course have a perfectly legit reason like maybe your computer is a work computer where you don't have an option, but Windows 10 will run perfectly fine on just about anything that runs Windows 7. I have it running very well on my almost 5-year old laptop which has a first generation I5 CPU and also on an even older Pdesktop which has a CORE-2 Duo E7400 Intel chip and which dates back to I think around 2010. That desktop only has 4 Gb of RAM and, like I said, it runs Windows 10 just as good as it did Windows 7.

Regards,
Sieghard

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:54 PM

The Windows key and u command takes you to the control panel ease of access center, but you then need to tab to the start narrator button, or press alt and the letter n and it will go to and start narrator. A bit cumbersome, hence my interest in a direct key combination, which apparently does not exist for us old Windows 7 folks.

Tim Ford

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 3:13 PM

Hi Sieghard,

Les

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel

HI All,

I heard recently that Windows Narrator can be started and stopped by the combination of windows key and enter. Maybe I heard that wrong, because that key combination instead selects whatever Desktop icon happens to have focus. Does anyone know what key combination does this start/stop of Narrator? I am running Windows 7.

Tim Ford

Lee Maschmeyer

What happens if you check the box that says "Always read this block aloud" or something similar? I use Braille so don't want any speech usually but if Jaws Braille won't work it'd be nice to automate Narrator as much as possible. This is Windows 7.

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll