Topics

How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use your computer?

Mike Ulrich <mulrich@...>

So every now and then one of my sighted friends comes over and wants to check something out on the internet. But she’s always complaining about my eloquence’s voice program running with JAWS.

So what’s the fastest and best way to shut JAWS down, and the fastest and best way to bring it back up, after she’s done?

I know way back when, on a different computer, I had someone put on some  short cut keys to disable JAWS, once disabled you could just hit those short cut keys again, and JAWS would come back up.

So how do I go about setting this up again on my current laptop?

Although, it’s kind of funny listening to a sightling freak out; when having to listen to eloquence going a thousand miles an hour while working on your computer!

Michael D. Ulrich

Just an ordinary average blind guy!

“Providing Insight for Blindness”

Florida Council of the Blind

Fundraising Committee Member

Home Phone: 239-540-7431

Cell phone: 239-565-5845

Email: mulrich@...

Delaunay Christophe

Hi Michael,

First, check whether the Jaws shortcut you should have on your desktop has a shortcut key or not. In order to do so, select it and press <alt+enter> to display its properties.

Then, tab twice. You should hear “Shortcut key (hotkey):” and something more. If this additional information is simply <none>, type a key on your keyboard, (the letter j for instance). Then, tab away from this item, and shift+tab back to it. You should now hear “Shortcut key (hotkey): ctrl+alt+j”. “j” could be replaced with the letter you typed.

If it’s ok, tab until the Ok button and press <enter>.

In order to check if it works, try pressing it. Jaws cannot be launched twice but it should inform you about such an attempt, for instance, by placing you into the Jaws window or opening the Jaws context menu, (depends on whether you choose to minimize jaws in the taskbar on in the notification area).

Now, if it works, you can confidently type <jawskey+f4> in order to shut jaws down. After your sighted friend gives you back your computer, simply type the hotkey you previously defined and jaws should restart soon.

HTH, Have a nice day. ChD

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:01 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use your computer?

So every now and then one of my sighted friends comes over and wants to check something out on the internet. But she’s always complaining about my eloquence’s voice program running with JAWS.

So what’s the fastest and best way to shut JAWS down, and the fastest and best way to bring it back up, after she’s done?

I know way back when, on a different computer, I had someone put on some  short cut keys to disable JAWS, once disabled you could just hit those short cut keys again, and JAWS would come back up.

Although, it’s kind of funny listening to a sightling freak out; when having to listen to eloquence going a thousand miles an hour while working on your computer!

Michael D. Ulrich

Marianne Denning

If you have JAWS running on your task bar and you know its number you can press the menu or windows key and that number to launch it. To check this go to your task bar. The The first item would be menu key 1, the next menu key 2... For example, I would press menu key 6 because JAWS is in the sixth position on my task bar.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Delaunay Christophe <christophe.delaunay@...> wrote:

Hi Michael,

First, check whether the Jaws shortcut you should have on your desktop has a shortcut key or not. In order to do so, select it and press <alt+enter> to display its properties.

Then, tab twice. You should hear “Shortcut key (hotkey):” and something more. If this additional information is simply <none>, type a key on your keyboard, (the letter j for instance). Then, tab away from this item, and shift+tab back to it. You should now hear “Shortcut key (hotkey): ctrl+alt+j”. “j” could be replaced with the letter you typed.

In order to check if it works, try pressing it. Jaws cannot be launched twice but it should inform you about such an attempt, for instance, by placing you into the Jaws window or opening the Jaws context menu, (depends on whether you choose to minimize jaws in the taskbar on in the notification area).

Now, if it works, you can confidently type <jawskey+f4> in order to shut jaws down. After your sighted friend gives you back your computer, simply type the hotkey you previously defined and jaws should restart soon.

Michael D. Ulrich

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
(513) 607-6053

Peter Tesar

Hello Michael,

If all you want to do is silence JAWS, you can do this without killing JAWS.

You will have to use the layered command.

Use the numpad insert key, this is the JAWS modifier key.

JAWS plus space bar, then press "s" to toggle the synthesizer on or off.

Peter T

On 2016-09-28 7:35 AM, Delaunay Christophe wrote:

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

Thanks! Do you think if I go that route and shut off just the voicing, it won’t interfere with a sightling’s normal navigation of whatever program they’re working with? As in maneuvering the mouse ETC?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Tesar
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use your computer?

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

Peter Tesar

For the few times I had to use this feature, it did work.

PeterT

On 2016-09-28 11:08 AM, Mike Ulrich wrote:

Thanks! Do you think if I go that route and shut off just the voicing, it won’t interfere with a sightling’s normal navigation of whatever program they’re working with? As in maneuvering the mouse ETC?

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

Thanks Peter!.....Mike

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:13 AM

For the few times I had to use this feature, it did work.

PeterT

On 2016-09-28 11:08 AM, Mike Ulrich wrote:

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Mike. If you shut off only the voicing of JAWS, it will still interfere with typing text into form fields. Sighted users won't be able to type into edit fields without activating them in JAWS, unless JAWS is completely unloaded.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:08 AM

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14190 (20160928) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14193 (20160928) __________

Zach Abernathy <zabernathy@...>

He beat me to it. If jaws is active but silent in no way will sightings be able to interact with forms and such like usual.
Regards,

On Sep 28, 2016, at 8:21 AM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Hi, Mike. If you shut off only the voicing of JAWS, it will still interfere with typing text into form fields. Sighted users won't be able to type into edit fields without activating them in JAWS, unless JAWS is completely unloaded.

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14190 (20160928) __________

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14193 (20160928) __________

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I think that it is the JAWS cursor that is such a
distraction to sighted people, of course, as well as all the
noise it makes. I have headphones, so they wouldn't hear
mine, but the cursor seems to alter what they are used to
seeing on the screen. Incidentally, I have on the most
comfortable, you don't even know they are there, two-dollar
headphones.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 7:01 AM
Subject: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use
your computer?

So every now and then one of my sighted friends comes over
and wants to check something out on the internet. But she's
always complaining about my eloquence's voice program
running with JAWS.

So what's the fastest and best way to shut JAWS down, and
the fastest and best way to bring it back up, after she's
done?

I know way back when, on a different computer, I had someone
put on some short cut keys to disable JAWS, once disabled
you could just hit those short cut keys again, and JAWS
would come back up.

So how do I go about setting this up again on my current
laptop?

Although, it's kind of funny listening to a sightling freak
out; when having to listen to eloquence going a thousand
miles an hour while working on your computer!

Michael D. Ulrich

"Providing Insight for Blindness"

Email: mulrich@centurylink.net

Drew Hunthausen

It also makes it much more difficult for someone who uses a mouse as Jaws will not always cooperate making it confusing for them.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:21 AM

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

So Miss Carolyn, prey tell; what brand and model of headphones do you use?
Are they Bluetooth?

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Carolyn
Arnold
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:04 PM

I think that it is the JAWS cursor that is such a distraction to sighted
people, of course, as well as all the noise it makes. I have headphones, so
they wouldn't hear mine, but the cursor seems to alter what they are used to
seeing on the screen. Incidentally, I have on the most comfortable, you
don't even know they are there, two-dollar headphones.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike
Ulrich

So every now and then one of my sighted friends comes over and wants to
check something out on the internet. But she's always complaining about my
eloquence's voice program running with JAWS.

So what's the fastest and best way to shut JAWS down, and the fastest and
best way to bring it back up, after she's done?

I know way back when, on a different computer, I had someone put on some
short cut keys to disable JAWS, once disabled you could just hit those short
cut keys again, and JAWS would come back up.

Although, it's kind of funny listening to a sightling freak out; when having
to listen to eloquence going a thousand miles an hour while working on your
computer!

Michael D. Ulrich

That’s what I thought. So how can I set up my computer, via short cut keystrokes, to completely shut off JAWS, and still easily bring it back up once said sightling is finished?

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:21 AM

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

No, they earphones are not Blue Tooth. They came from Rose's
Department Store, and I bought eight or ten of them and have
given some for presents. I have a pair at the computer, one
to use on my phone, since a mike is included, and one on my
LBS reader. I went to get a box to ask my husband, but have
none of them here now. I have a couple of dollar ones in the
box, but wonder if they are as good. They had extra ear pads
included, and the pads are puffy, sort of like a teeny
balloon that has just started to deflate. I have been using
them for about a year now.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to
use your computer?

So Miss Carolyn, prey tell; what brand and model of
headphones do you use?
Are they Bluetooth?

Behalf Of Carolyn Arnold
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to
use your computer?

I think that it is the JAWS cursor that is such a
distraction to sighted people, of course, as well as all the
noise it makes. I have headphones, so they wouldn't hear
mine, but the cursor seems to alter what they are used to
seeing on the screen. Incidentally, I have on the most
comfortable, you don't even know they are there, two-dollar
headphones.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Behalf Of Mike Ulrich
Subject: How to shut off JAWS when sightlings want to use
your computer?

So every now and then one of my sighted friends comes over
and wants to check something out on the internet. But she's
always complaining about my eloquence's voice program
running with JAWS.

So what's the fastest and best way to shut JAWS down, and
the fastest and best way to bring it back up, after she's
done?

I know way back when, on a different computer, I had someone
put on some short cut keys to disable JAWS, once disabled
you could just hit those short cut keys again, and JAWS
would come back up.

So how do I go about setting this up again on my current
laptop?

Although, it's kind of funny listening to a sightling freak
out; when having to listen to eloquence going a thousand
miles an hour while working on your computer!

Michael D. Ulrich

Lee Anne Atkinson

Hi,

I do it one of two ways: 

1.  I just use the windows-R command and type JAWS# where number is the version of JAWS I am running. 

2.  I also have an icon on my desktop so just use ctrl-M then J for JAWS and it comes back. 

Of course, I am still running Windows 8… 

Hope this helps.

Lee Anne

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 12:28 PM

That’s what I thought. So how can I set up my computer, via short cut keystrokes, to completely shut off JAWS, and still easily bring it back up once said sightling is finished?

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Someone already gave you this info:

Use JAWS Key plus F4 to turn off JAWS. Make sure that before you do this you have a shortcut key on your desktop set to reload JAWS. If you have a JAWS icon on your desktop that looks something like this excluding possibly the version numbers:

JAWS17.0

Press ALT plus ENTER when this icon is highlighted, meaning you arrow to it but don't click it before pressing ALT plus ENTER.

Once you have pressed ALT plus ENTER on the icon, you will reach the properties of the file. Use the TAB key to get to the dialog which says:

Shortcut key:

If it says NONE, press whichever key you want to use to bring up JAWS. I use the letter J. Then TAB to Apply and press ENTER. Then TAB to OK and press ENTER.

Once this is done, whenever JAWS is unloaded, you may press ALT plus CONTROL plus J and JAWS will load automatically.
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:27 AM

Bill White billwhite92701@...

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

Unloading Jaws does not require you to set up a shortcut key, Jaws Key+F4 will do this, it is a built-in shortcut key and if you press it Jaws will say the following:

Unloading JAWS

Quit JAWS dialog

Are you sure you want to quit JAWS? Press Enter to quit now, or Escape to cancel.

OK

At this point focus is on the OK button, so just press enter and Jaws will go away, if you don't want it to do this press Escape.

As for bringing Jaws back as other pointed out you'll have to add a shortcut key combination like Control+Shift+J to the Jaws shortcut on the desktop.

As long as the Jaws shortcut is on your desktop you can also press Windows+M a couple of times to make sure all Windows are minimized and you are on the desktop, then type "J" and as long as Jaws is the only shortcut that starts with J focus will now be on Jaws and pressing enter will start it.

A final method is to use Windows+R to bring up the Run dialogue, type "Jaws" followed by your version and press enter. For example, if you have Jaws 17 then type "Jaws17" without space and press enter.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:28 AM

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

Tony

You can skip the Yes question by using Jaws+Windows+F4.  Jaws will shut down immediately.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:03 PM

Unloading Jaws does not require you to set up a shortcut key, Jaws Key+F4 will do this, it is a built-in shortcut key and if you press it Jaws will say the following:

Unloading JAWS

Quit JAWS dialog

Are you sure you want to quit JAWS? Press Enter to quit now, or Escape to cancel.

OK

At this point focus is on the OK button, so just press enter and Jaws will go away, if you don't want it to do this press Escape.

As for bringing Jaws back as other pointed out you'll have to add a shortcut key combination like Control+Shift+J to the Jaws shortcut on the desktop.

As long as the Jaws shortcut is on your desktop you can also press Windows+M a couple of times to make sure all Windows are minimized and you are on the desktop, then type "J" and as long as Jaws is the only shortcut that starts with J focus will now be on Jaws and pressing enter will start it.

A final method is to use Windows+R to bring up the Run dialogue, type "Jaws" followed by your version and press enter. For example, if you have Jaws 17 then type "Jaws17" without space and press enter.

Regards,

Sieghard

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich

ratshtron

all you need to do is press insert plus f4 and then press enter on the o.k. button and jaws is gone. just be sure you have a hot key assigned to the jaws shortcut on the desktop to bring it back. of course, depending on the version, you can press windows plus r and type in

jaws##

and press enter. the ## refers to the main version of jaws you are running, so if you are running jaws15 that's what you would type

jaws15

and press enter.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 9/28/2016 06:01 AM, Mike Ulrich said:
----------------------------------------
So every now and then one of my sighted friends comes over and wants to check something out on the internet. But she's always complaining about my eloquence's voice program running with JAWS.
So what's the fastest and best way to shut JAWS down, and the fastest and best way to bring it back up, after she's done?

I know way back when, on a different computer, I had someone put on some short cut keys to disable JAWS, once disabled you could just hit those short cut keys again, and JAWS would come back up.

Although, it's kind of funny listening to a sightling freak out; when having to listen to eloquence going a thousand miles an hour while working on your computer!

Michael D. Ulrich

----------------------------------------

Jaws Key+Windows+F4 will dump Jaws and restart it. It is meant as a last resort when Jaws hangs or crashes in which case this key combination usually brings it back.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:20 AM

You can skip the Yes question by using Jaws+Windows+F4.  Jaws will shut down immediately.

Tony

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 1:03 PM

Unloading JAWS

Quit JAWS dialog

OK

Regards,

Sieghard

Hello Michael,

Peter T

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Ulrich