FM Key and Jaws

Pastor Gil Pries <revgil@...>

HI,

I got a new keyboard and it has a FM key.

What does it do?

Thanks,

Pastor Gil

That depends on the keyboard and how it is configured.

I bought a Logitech K780 which out of the box required you to press the FN key if you wanted to use a function key when using the keyboard with a Windows PC.

If you pressed a function key without the FN key it would do system functions like increase or decrease screen brightness, turn the TouchPad on or off, raise or lower the volume, mute the sound etc.

For example, in Office applications F12 opens the older style Save As dialogue or in Jaws the Jaws key+F11 speaks the time, Jaws Key+F7 brings up a list of links on a webpage.

So, if I wanted F12 I had to press FN+F12, if I wanted Jaws to speak the time I had to press FN+Jaws Key+F11 etc.

Now, try pressing the Jaws Key (Insert on the Numpad) and FN all the way across on the left and then F7 to bring up a list of links, maybe if your fingers are a foot long you can do it.

I had to download the Logitech Options application which allows me to check a little checkbox which changed this so that when I use the keyboard for Windows the Function Keys just do what they should do without having to press FN.

Now if I want to press F1, F2 or F3 which are the keys which switch the keyboard to my iPhone (F2) or Apple TV (F3) or if I want to lower or increase the volume which is done with F11 and F12 I have to press the FN key, but since I don't do this as often I don't mind and if I press F2 (when I use the keyboard for my PC I have to press FN+F2) to switch to my iPhone then once it has switched I don't need to press the FN key anymore since the keyboard is smart enough to know when it is connected to a PC or to an iPhone or something else.

I got a new keyboard and it has a FM key.

What does it do?

Thanks,

Pastor Gil

Pastor Gil Pries <revgil@...>