Topics

How to make jaws read number of items

James Lockwood <lockwoodnd@...>

I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

Ann Byrne

In most cases, insert+tab will read the current item, plus how many of how many.

I hope this works in your case.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

George Gray

I also have this situation. It appears that somehow a maximum of 13
is the count in any Folder where I have many additional files.

If I pres Enter + T it reads the file name and whatever it's place in
13. And, when I press Enter + Tab I hear the same.

Thanks.

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Richard Turner

I went to my "my documents" folder and pressed insert+tab and this is what I heard:
Not Selected 2016Low-Vision Expo images‎8/‎22/‎2018 ‏‎5:29 AM File folder 1 of 885

Jaws 2019, Windows 10

But, Window-Eyes would have read the index number automatically.

Richard

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Ann Byrne

Try insert+tab instead of enter+tab. also, sometimes the status line tells the how many of how many--insert+numpad 3.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

George Gray

Nope! Not with JAWS 2018. Thanks.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

James Lockwood <lockwoodnd@...>

Thank you for your response. I am more looking at a way to make Jaws do it automatically every time it reads out a file name. That’s what window eyes would do. But evidently I can’t find a way to make that happen

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Cook, Steve

Try jaws key plus 3

Steve Cook, CPM
Assistive Technology Consultant
SC Commission for the Blind
1430 Confederate avenue
Columbia, SC 29201
Phone: (803) 898-8788
Fax: (803) 898-8882

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

For me both Jaws Key+Tab as well as a simple say line, Jaws Key+NumPad 8, reads the file name, date, file type and whether it's 27 of 52 or whatever.
It does not read it when you simply arrow down or up through the list of files.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

George Gray

Nope! Not for me in JAWS 2018...

On 11/2/18, Sieghard Weitzel <@Sieghard> wrote:
For me both Jaws Key+Tab as well as a simple say line, Jaws Key+NumPad 8,
reads the file name, date, file type and whether it's 27 of 52 or whatever.
It does not read it when you simply arrow down or up through the list of
files.

I went to my "my documents" folder and pressed insert+tab and this is what I
heard:
Not Selected 2016Low-Vision Expo images‎8/‎22/‎2018 ‏‎5:29 AM File folder 1
of 885

Jaws 2019, Windows 10

But, Window-Eyes would have read the index number automatically.

Richard

“Definition of an expert: An ex is a has-been and a spirt is a drip under
pressure.” – Bruce U. Utah Phillips

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi George,

Will Jaws key + 3 / Page Down, on the numpad work for you?
Take care.  Mike.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2018 4:45 AM

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

George Gray

All that does is tell me the number of Item and that 1 is selected.
It does not tell me which number the Item is of how many there
are...thanks.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
[...]

George, Did you say you are using Jaws 2018?
In my 2018, jaws-key, which is really the insert key, plus numpad 3, gives me just the total number of items in that folder. While, insert plus numpad 8, or the tab key give me the item number and the total number of items.
It is the same in 2019. I just checked with both versions. So, that must be a settings issue somewhere, but I really don't know where that setting might be.

Richard

All that does is tell me the number of Item and that 1 is selected.
It does not tell me which number the Item is of how many there are...thanks.

On 11/3/18, Mike B. <mike9902@...> wrote:
Hi George,

Will Jaws key + 3 / Page Down, on the numpad work for you?
Take care. Mike. Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In
the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Cristóbal

I’m not at my computer right now, but going off of memory, I believe this is a setting you can tweak in the verbosity settings of Jawss. There is beginner, intermediate and advanced… Im each one, there are a series of checkboxes you can check or uncheck depending on the behavior you wish.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Enter + 3 gives me the same as yours, but Enter + 8 still only gives
me the file number out of 13 when I know there are 120 files in the
Folder.

Yes, it is probably a Setting somewhere, but I have no idea as to
where to find it and have been hoping that one of the folks may know
the answer.

Thanks.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
[...]

You should see if maximizing the Window makes a difference.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
[...]

netbat66

i don't know when this happened. grin.
but if i change the file view to the detailed view i get the index numbers i guess you call it.
if i right arrow once then arrow down it will announce the item number like 1 of 100 as i arrow down the list. but it is the last thing announced.
i looked in the speech verbocity and beginner options and announce item numbers was already checked. so i did not make any changes there.

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

George Gray

And, the winner is? Maximizing The Window!!! Duh! Thanks..:)

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi Sieghard,

While using Outlook 2013 under Jaws 2018 and now 2019,Jaws will read out the correct number of emails in the list by pressing shift tab but not so with insert numpad 8. Pressing insert 8gives the correct reading if the number of emails is 23 or less. However, if the number of emails is greater than 23, pressing this key combination gives 23 of 23.

I am wondering if this is peculiar to Outlook 2013 or does version 2016 suffer from the same error.
Cheers
Tom

At 05:29 AM 11/2/2018, you wrote:
I used to use window eyes. It would read the number if items in a
folder after reading off a file name. Is there a way to do this in
jaws? Right now jaws only reads item names in file explorer not how
many items there afterwards

Thanks

Jim

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Richard,
Under Outlook 2013 and Jaws 2019, the commands you mentioned give different results on my system.

Pressing insert numpad 3 mentions something about filters which I don't understand.
Pressing insert numpad 8 or insert tab gives me 23 of 23 messages while currently there are 28. Once the number gets to under 23 messages, the readout is correct.

Tom