In JAWS 2019 how do I turn back on both the "tab" and "alt+tab" key sounds?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I like hearing the sounds “tab” and “alt+tab” when I press these keys so that I get that confirmation.  Apparently, in JAWS 2019 this functionality is defaulted to “off.”  How can I turn this back on?

Thanks,

Richard

Edward Green

Hi Richard,

I think it's the tab key you need to turn back on, then alt will speak when you press the combination.

Press JAWS key+6 to open the settings centre, press shift+control+d to load the defaults, and type key labels into the search box.

Arrow down to manage key labels, and go from there.  As I said, I think it's the tab key you need to enable.

Make sure you've OK-ED yourself out of the various dialogs when you've changed it.

Cheers,

Ed

On 2 Nov 2018, at 00:15, Richard B. McDonald <richardbmcdonald@...> wrote:

Hi!

I like hearing the sounds “tab” and “alt+tab” when I press these keys so that I get that confirmation.  Apparently, in JAWS 2019 this functionality is defaulted to “off.”  How can I turn this back on?

Thanks,

Richard

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Richard,

Try the following:
1. Open the Settings Center with the keystroke, Jaws key + 6, on the number row then press, control, shift + D, to open default all applications.
2. Navigate to, Keyboard closed, and press right arrow to open.
3. Down arrow to, General closed, and right arrow to open.
4. Down arrow to, Manage key labels..., and press the spacebar to open.  Note;  don't press enter , if you press enter it'll close the Settings Center.
5. Press the letter, T, and it'll take you to, Tab tab mute, now tab 1 time an you'll hear, toggle mute button, so press the spacebar to hear, Tab tab speak.
6. Tab to, Okay, press the spacebar, again tab to, Okay, press enter to save & close.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 5:15 PM
Subject: In JAWS 2019 how do I turn back on both the "tab" and "alt+tab" key sounds?

Hi!

I like hearing the sounds “tab” and “alt+tab” when I press these keys so that I get that confirmation.  Apparently, in JAWS 2019 this functionality is defaulted to “off.”  How can I turn this back on?

Thanks,

Richard

Michael Munn

The Tabkey no longer echoed in Jaws 2019 release.
This is what I heard from Eric Damery.
I find that pretty anoying.

"If a person must be blind, it is better to be blind in Iowa than anywhere else in the nation or in the world."
Harold Russell,
Des Moines
1968
Michael Munn
Member:
Virginia Association of Blind Student
Delegate:
Virginia Association of Blind Student
Student of:
Hadley Institute for the Blind
Email address:

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 5:15 PM

Hi!

I like hearing the sounds “tab” and “alt+tab” when I press these keys so that I get that confirmation.  Apparently, in JAWS 2019 this functionality is defaulted to “off.”  How can I turn this back on?

Thanks,

Richard

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Michael,

I believe you replied to my message on how to stop / reverse this setting.  Just because the Jaws folks thought this might be an improvement and you find it annoying like many others why don't you just change the setting and move on.  It's not like they made this change without giving Jaws users the option to change it!
Take care.  Mike.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 5:15 PM

Hi!

I like hearing the sounds “tab” and “alt+tab” when I press these keys so that I get that confirmation.  Apparently, in JAWS 2019 this functionality is defaulted to “off.”  How can I turn this back on?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard B. McDonald

Thanks Mike!  That did the trick!

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 5:15 PM

Hi!

I like hearing the sounds “tab” and “alt+tab” when I press these keys so that I get that confirmation.  Apparently, in JAWS 2019 this functionality is defaulted to “off.”  How can I turn this back on?

Thanks,

Richard

Shan Noyes

I am happy that they implemented this feature in the new version of jaws have a nice day shan

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 5:15 PM

Hi!

I like hearing the sounds “tab” and “alt+tab” when I press these keys so that I get that confirmation.  Apparently, in JAWS 2019 this functionality is defaulted to “off.”  How can I turn this back on?

Thanks,

Richard

Key labels has been there for a long time, maybe in Jaws 2019 they muted the tab key default, I did that years ago since I don't care to hear it spoken.