List request

Richard Turner

This is my Pet Peeve for the month:
Those of you, and there are several so I'm not pointing out anyone in particular, on this list who have there email set to not quote the previous message make it very difficult for those of us who want to help. If you do not explain the context of your message, it often leaves me scratching my head wondering what the heck the person is replying to.
So, please consider summarizing the answer you are replying to so we might be able to offer a different suggestion, or set your email program to include the prior message.
Just my thoughts. I often want to assist, but have no idea what the issue is, so I simply delete the message.
Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books which are your very own." __ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Thank you...i feel the same way how can we help if we do not know what your
asking about

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: October 28, 2018 8:13
To: JFW user list <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: List request

This is my Pet Peeve for the month:
Those of you, and there are several so I'm not pointing out anyone in
particular, on this list who have there email set to not quote the previous
message make it very difficult for those of us who want to help. If you do
not explain the context of your message, it often leaves me scratching my
head wondering what the heck the person is replying to.
So, please consider summarizing the answer you are replying to so we might
be able to offer a different suggestion, or set your email program to
include the prior message.
Just my thoughts. I often want to assist, but have no idea what the issue
is, so I simply delete the message.
Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books
which are your very own." __ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I also concur, but find the endless quotation of a group of messages, quite often all of them, no more helpful than nothing at all, and sometimes less so.

When it's obvious from the conversation flow what is being responded to then quotation really isn't necessary.  When it is necessary, retention of the actual thing being responded to, and excision of the rest of it, is most helpful, particularly when conflicting opinions have been offered.

I have been castigated for top quoting a line or two to establish context.  I have no intention of changing that practice when it's needed because it is critical for the reader to know what is being responded to.

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

Dave...

Brian, Castigated? You should be awarded. No one keeps things clearer on the list than do you.

Dave

Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2018 08:45
Subject: Re: List request

I also concur, but find the endless quotation of a group of messages, quite often all of them, no more helpful than nothing at all, and sometimes less so.

When it's obvious from the conversation flow what is being responded to then quotation really isn't necessary.  When it is necessary, retention of the actual thing being responded to, and excision of the rest of it, is most helpful, particularly when conflicting opinions have been offered.

I have been castigated for top quoting a line or two to establish context.  I have no intention of changing that practice when it's needed because it is critical for the reader to know what is being responded to.

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

pmbeardy@...

hi, I never read the ppl that quote the message they're responding to especially if they have the entire message before the answer. *delete* right away* I usually read the previous message if I want to.it's like going to the movies and getting the endless previews etc. the mc before the main speaker telling lame jokes oh my god I am out of the click again... oh my god it's highschool again.... oh my god this list shouldn't be a popularity contest. my two cents or whatever.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 08:45:01 -0700, "Brian Vogel" wrote:

I also concur, but find the endless quotation of a group of messages, quite often all of them, no more helpful than nothing at all, and sometimes less so.

When it's obvious from the conversation flow what is being responded to then quotation really isn't necessary.  When it is necessary, retention of the actual thing being responded to, and excision of the rest of it, is most helpful, particularly when conflicting opinions have been offered.

I have been castigated for top quoting a line or two to establish context.  I have no intention of changing that practice when it's needed because it is critical for the reader to know what is being responded to.

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

Shirley Tracy

I think keeping the subject line clear and specific will help a lot, even if it needs to be changed/updated to fit a new thread from the original. Just my opinion.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy

[...]

I agree with Richard, when I read messages I delete them when I read the message and if another person replies a day later referring to something but he does not have the thread in his message I found it is often unclear what this refers to. I guess in such a case I just also delete he message since I may not be able torespond not knowing the context, but while a long thread may not be always useful it doesn’t bother me since the new reply is at the top (if it isn’t then that is not my problem) so I don’t have to read the entire thread, but if I do want to refer back to something then I can or if I look for a link that was in a message 5 replies further down the thread then it is easy to find..

[...]

Mario

I agree Richard. most of us reading posts go thru quite a lot of
messages, and some posts don't indicate to whom the sender is answering.
somewhat annoying.

Those of you, and there are several so I'm not pointing out anyone in
particular, on this list who have there email set to not quote the
help. If you do not explain the context of your message, it often leaves
me scratching my head wondering what the heck the person is replying to.
So, please consider summarizing the answer you are replying to so we
might be able to offer a different suggestion, or set your email program
to include the prior message.
Just my thoughts. I often want to assist, but have no idea what the
issue is, so I simply delete the message.
Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good
books which are your very own." __ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

.

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

On the subject of quoted material, I don’t use it because I really don’t like the way it comes across. It can come across as a jumbled mess most of the time. When/if I get lectured that I should include the quoted material, as I did on another list once, my response is just to leave the thread entirely.

Richard Turner

Hope, No one is saying you have to use it. I know I'm not saying that. I'm simply asking that when folks reply with either a solution or a follow up question they at least give a short summary of what they are replying to, like what you did with your message below.
Thanks,

On Oct 28, 2018, at 4:53 PM, Hope Williamson via Groups.Io <isepic@...> wrote:

On the subject of quoted material, I don’t use it because I really don’t like the way it comes across. It can come across as a jumbled mess most of the time. When/if I get lectured that I should include the quoted material, as I did on another list once, my response is just to leave the thread entirely.

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

Hi Richard, I always try to summarize what I’m responding to. Apparently I forgot once one day lol.

Larry Wayland

A man to that.

Those of you, and there are several so I'm not pointing out anyone in
particular, on this list who have there email set to not quote the previous
message make it very difficult for those of us who want to help. If you do
not explain the context of your message, it often leaves me scratching my
head wondering what the heck the person is replying to.
So, please consider summarizing the answer you are replying to so we might
be able to offer a different suggestion, or set your email program to
include the prior message.
Just my thoughts. I often want to assist, but have no idea what the issue
is, so I simply delete the message.
Richard

"It is a great thing to start life with a small number of really good books
which are your very own." __ Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

denise avant <denise.avant@...>

Hello,

I am replying to this thread only because I have been having trouble posting directly to the list using MS Outlook, though I have joined it. So, just as a test, I have clicked on the e-mail address for the group seen in some of the posts. When I do that, I am sent to Windows Mail,  not Outlook, which is my mail client. I can read the mail from the group in Outlook. So, I am wondering if it is not possible to actually send a post to this group using Outlook? I did e-mail the list moderator with no response.

[...]

James Homuth

Hello,

It sounds like your Outlook isn’t set up properly. This message came through just fine, but the fact it wants to open it up in windows Mail tells me whoever actually set up Outlook only did part of the job. This would also explain why I never received your email.

James,

List Admin

[...]

If you use Windows 10 you need to go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps and set Outlook as your default mail client.

[...]

Hi,

I just checked my settings, and outlook is the default e-mail client. I should also say that I sent one of my previous messages from the mail account on my iPhone. I think I have sent two, but I have forgotten what one of them was about. I recall that the other had to do with possibly having JAWS work on a Surface Go.

It sounds like your Outlook isn’t set up properly. This message came through just fine, but the fact it wants to open it up in windows Mail tells me whoever actually set up Outlook only did part of the job. This would also explain why I never received your email.

James,

List Admin

[...]

My guess is something’s amiss with your Outlook settings, then. Also curious why it wants to open Windows Mail if Outlook’s the default. But I’ll bet your emails aren’t actually sending, but are rather probably still sitting in your outbox.

I just checked my settings, and outlook is the default e-mail client. I should also say that I sent one of my previous messages from the mail account on my iPhone. I think I have sent two, but I have forgotten what one of them was about. I recall that the other had to do with possibly having JAWS work on a Surface Go.

It sounds like your Outlook isn’t set up properly. This message came through just fine, but the fact it wants to open it up in windows Mail tells me whoever actually set up Outlook only did part of the job. This would also explain why I never received your email.

James,

List Admin