From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Val Paul
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 3:01 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: signing in after start up

Hi!

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Val. You can still get the Startup music. It depends how your computer was set up. If you have a local Windows account, it is very easy to remove the password so you don't need to log in every time the computer starts. If you have an account which was set up to log in with Microsoft, it is more difficult.

Did you give up the Mac, Val?

Nice to hear from you again.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your
pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

Jason White

My laptop has a fingerprint sensor, so all I have to do is to touch the sensor at the sign-in dialog - no typing of a password required, and security is maintained.

On 10/24/18, 08:51, "Richard Turner" <main@jfw.groups.io on behalf of richardturner42@outlook.com> wrote:

Hi,
It is not recommended to turn off the sign in because it leaves your system completely open to anyone who might access your computer. As I recall you are on Windows 10, if so, tap the Windows key, type account and hit enter.
Arrow down to sign in options (I think it is called) and you can change things in there.

You can turn on the Windows startup sound in the Sound schemes. I think there is something about Fast Startup skipping the sound but I don't recall those steps right now. Not enough coffee this morning, grin.

Richard

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

david

hello;
if you absolutely don't want to sign in when you bootup your computer,
you can do the following to have the computer boot directly to the desktop.

once your computer has booted up to the desktop,

1, windows-key+r=run,
2, type in: netplwiz press enter,

3, you should see this text,
Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
check box checked,
you need to uncheck this box.
now you need to go to ok button.

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a dream.

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your
pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

Chris

4. you will then be prompted for your login details before you can close the below dialog, just enter your username and password and click ok

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your

pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

Marty Hutchings

In step 3, there is a Apply button.  Do we need to press it?  As you tab, it is after the OK button.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:47 PM

4. you will then be prompted for your login details before you can close the below dialog, just enter your username and password and click ok

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your

pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

Chris

Yes hit apply then you be prompted for your login details

Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:47 PM

4. you will then be prompted for your login details before you can close the below dialog, just enter your username and password and click ok

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your

pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hi David. Interestingly enough, your netplwiz command and control userpasswords22 open the exact same dialogue.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue

Val Paul

Hi David!

Thanks so much.

have tried this, and it has worked.

Val.

On 24/10/2018 19:48, david wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill!

Yess, after having a lot of isues with it, and having to keep taking it back to the shop for adjustment, plus, I just couldn't get on with it!

So, here i am, back in the fold, and glad to be so, as i missed the banter with everyone. I also missed the friendliness and help I got.

I've just come out of hospital a fortnight ago after having fallen and broken my hip, but i'm coming on not too bad!

Thanks bill.

Val.

On 24/10/2018 15:55, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Val. You can still get the Startup music. It depends how your computer was set up. If you have a local Windows account, it is very easy to remove the password so you don't need to log in every time the computer starts. If you have an account which was set up to log in with Microsoft, it is more difficult.

Did you give up the Mac, Val?

Nice to hear from you again.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your
pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

Val Paul

Thanks Richard.

Nice to speak to you again.

Val.

On 24/10/2018 13:51, Richard Turner wrote:
Hi,
It is not recommended to turn off the sign in because it leaves your system completely open to anyone who might access your computer. As I recall you are on Windows 10, if so, tap the Windows key, type account and hit enter.
Arrow down to sign in options (I think it is called) and you can change things in there.

You can turn on the Windows startup sound in the Sound schemes. I think there is something about Fast Startup skipping the sound but I don't recall those steps right now. Not enough coffee this morning, grin.

Richard

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

Mario

to get the startup sound, you'll need to turn off fast startup. if you
don't, the computer doesn't completely shutdown like in previous
versions of Windows.

On 24/10/2018 13:51, Richard Turner wrote:
Hi,
It is not recommended to turn off the sign in because it leaves your
system completely open to anyone who might access your computer.  As I
recall you are on Windows 10, if so, tap the Windows key, type account
and hit enter.
Arrow down to sign in options (I think it is called) and you can
change things in there.

You can turn on the Windows startup sound in the Sound schemes.  I
think there is something about Fast Startup skipping the sound but I
don't recall those steps right now.  Not enough coffee this morning,
grin.

Richard
“Definition of an expert: An ex is a has-been and a spirt is a drip
under pressure.” – Bruce U. Utah Phillips

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your
pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

.

Mario

also, the sound that would play when Windows is instructed to shut down
is gone in Windows 10, but I haven't heard of a way to get it back that
actually works.

to get the startup sound, you'll need to turn off fast startup. if you
don't, the computer doesn't completely shutdown like in previous
versions of Windows.

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your
pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

.

Val Paul

Hi Mario!

Have just installed chrome from Ninite with no fuss at all.

Now going to turn off fast start up.

Thanks for that site, and the advice.

Val.

On 25/10/2018 16:03, Mario wrote:
to get the startup sound, you'll need to turn off fast startup. if you
don't, the computer doesn't completely shutdown like in previous
versions of Windows.

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your
pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

.

I was on the Windows Insider program with this laptop and have 1809 installed. So far I noticed that the shutdown sound plays a lot more consistently than before. I had enabled it by creating an elevated task in the Task Scheduler application although I believe there is also a registry hack available which would be easier.
Having said this I'd like to remind people that just because you hear the shutdown sound the computer has shut down. Just a couple of days ago I shut down my laptop in the morning, the shutdown sound played and I didn't check further. When I came back from work that evening my wife saw that the laptop was still on beccause some program which was running had blocked the shutdown and prompted me to either Force the Shutdown or to Cancel and save my work before trying again. Sometime this dialogue speaks, but I find it is not always the case.

Regards,
Sieghard

also, the sound that would play when Windows is instructed to shut down
is gone in Windows 10, but I haven't heard of a way to get it back that
actually works.

to get the startup sound, you'll need to turn off fast startup. if you
don't, the computer doesn't completely shutdown like in previous
versions of Windows.

Can anyone tell me if you have to log in every time you start up your
pc, or is there away you can avoid doing so?

Also, can you still get the jingle on the start up menue?

Nice to be back on the list with everyone.

Val Paul.

.

Val Paul

How do you get the shut down sound, and how do you get to the start can't seem to find that.

Val.

On 25/10/2018 16:31, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
[...]

if in the events list of the sounds applet of the control panel doesn't
sho an item called "system exit", you'll have to unhide it via carefully
making a simple change in the registry. once done, "system exit" should
appear in the events list, and testing it to play the traditional sound,
once the sound has been assigned will play, but the sound still doesn't
play the sound when shutting down the computer via the normal procedure.

Sieghard made a post, not on this list, explaining how to make the
shutdown sound play but I can't find it. maybe someone can repost it
here if you really, really want to try, but as Sieghard said, it's not
really necessary to have the sound at shutdown... but, it would be nice
to have a shutdown sound anyway.