How to see what I have running in background?

Mike Ulrich <mulrich@...>

Hi,

I’ve just fired up my laptop, running W7 with JAWS 16.0.

This happens a lot; once first fired up, it runs sluggishly slow for the first 10-15 minutes or so. I’m going nuts right now trying to type this out!

So how can I see what is running in the background when this happens? I mean; to see if I’m catching an update or something like that? Or to see what other programs I have that are also running?

Thanks much!......Mike

Michael D. Ulrich

Just an ordinary average blind guy!

“Providing Insight for Blindness”

Florida Council of the Blind

Fundraising Committee Member

FCB 6th Annual Blind Fishing Tournament!

Saturday April 9, 2017!

Cape Coral Yacht Club; 5819 Driftwood Pkwy. Cape Coral, Fl. 33904

Home Phone: 239-540-7431

Cell phone: 239-565-5845

Email: mulrich@...

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Mike,

You can try pressing, Jaws / Insert key + F10, to see a list of running programs.  Or, press, Jaws / Insert key + F11, to see what's going on in the System Tray.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

I’ve just fired up my laptop, running W7 with JAWS 16.0.

This happens a lot; once first fired up, it runs sluggishly slow for the first 10-15 minutes or so. I’m going nuts right now trying to type this out!

So how can I see what is running in the background when this happens? I mean; to see if I’m catching an update or something like that? Or to see what other programs I have that are also running?

Thanks much!......Mike

Michael D. Ulrich

Just an ordinary average blind guy!

“Providing Insight for Blindness”

Florida Council of the Blind

Fundraising Committee Member

FCB 6th Annual Blind Fishing Tournament!

Saturday April 9, 2017!

Cape Coral Yacht Club; 5819 Driftwood Pkwy. Cape Coral, Fl. 33904

Home Phone: 239-540-7431

Cell phone: 239-565-5845

Email: mulrich@...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Mike. Press the following key combination:
CONTROL plus SHIFT plus ESCAPE

This will take you into the Task Manager. Then use TAB to get to the various tabs in the tab manager.

Select the Processes tab, and tab to the list of running processes. Once done, press ESCAPE to exit the Task Manager. This is the best way to find out what is running in the background.

I hope this helps you.
I’ve just fired up my laptop, running W7 with JAWS 16.0.

This happens a lot; once first fired up, it runs sluggishly slow for the first 10-15 minutes or so. I’m going nuts right now trying to type this out!

So how can I see what is running in the background when this happens? I mean; to see if I’m catching an update or something like that? Or to see what other programs I have that are also running?

Thanks much!......Mike

Michael D. Ulrich

Just an ordinary average blind guy!

“Providing Insight for Blindness”

Florida Council of the Blind

Fundraising Committee Member

FCB 6th Annual Blind Fishing Tournament!

Saturday April 9, 2017!

Cape Coral Yacht Club; 5819 Driftwood Pkwy. Cape Coral, Fl. 33904

Home Phone: 239-540-7431

Cell phone: 239-565-5845

Email: mulrich@...

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14144 (20160919) __________

http://www.eset.com

james <j.hooper3272@...>

Thanks for the info a followup question, where can you go to find out a bout the particular processes running I mean can you close some services without harming the over all performance of your system maybe even speed it up?

[...]

David Moore

Hi James,
Yes, you can turn off most of the apps that run in the background. Here is what you do. Press windows+I to bring up the settings app in win10. Next, find the privacy group and press enter. Next, find background apps and press enter. Now, you can tab to hear if an app is check or unchecked. If your screen reader says button, it is not running in the back ground. If you hear button checked, that means that it is running in the background. When you hear button checked, you can just press the space bar to turn that app off from running in the back ground. The only apps I have running in the back ground, are the settings, News, Weather, and the Photos app. You do not need any other app to run in the back ground. So, just tab through them all, and make sure that it just says button instead button checked. If it says button checked, press the space bar to turn that app off from running in the back ground.
I hope that helps. Take care, James.
David Moore

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 4:52 PM

Bill White billwhite92701@...

[...]

I am running windows 7 and I was talking a bout the processes running.

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 4:52 PM

[...]

Jeff Christiansen

Just look in the task manager.

windowsKey+X or WindowsKey+R and type taskman then enter

the processes tab is what you are looking for

hth

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 4:52 PM

[...]

I found them my questions is where can igo to find out about the processes and whether I need to let them run or not

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 4:52 PM

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I tried that and found out stuff was saying 32 bit; here I thought I had 64, even thought I had gotten 64 JAWS and updates. I will get my husband to check for sure.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com <mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>

Email: mulrich@centurylink.net <mailto:mulrich@centurylink.net>

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14144 (20160919) __________

http://www.eset.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Yes, you can, as long as you don't try to close services and programs that are integral to the Windows OS. You don't want to shut down something Windows will need to use during the current boot-up session.
[...]

So is their a site or somewhere that would explain different services what they are for?

[...]

When you are in your Task Manager, James, try to remember, or write down the name of each filename which is a process. Then Google that filename. E.G.

what is explorer.exe

If you did this, Google would tell you that explorer.exe is a Windows program which displays all the information about your files. This is one which you would not want to turn off, since you couldn't see any of your files, folders, or the desktop without this process running.
[...]

I saw that after the fact, will let the thread run.

My apologies.

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 4:52 PM

[...]

Michael D. Ulrich <mulrich@...>

Hi Bill, apparently I have 56 items in this list. Does that mean I've got 56 apps running? I also noticed and and process button. If I hit that button, will that stop all those things from running all the time? Is this something I should do? Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 19, 2016, at 4:52 PM, James Hooper <j.hooper3272@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Mike. You don't have 56 aps running. What you have is 56 separate processes running. Some of these are Windows operating system-associated files which is how the operating system runs. Other things may be programs such as Adobe Reader. If you are unsure of what a process is, look at the file by using JAWS Key plus the 5 key on the NumPad twice quickly. This will cause JAWS to spell the entire filename. Once you know the spelling of the filename, look up this filename on Google, and see if it is an essential Windows Operating System process. If it is, don't turn it off.

Now to your second question. If you press the "End Process" button, it will only end the process which is currently highlighted.

One of the things I find when searching through my processes is that occasionally, I will have this process running even though I am done with the ap. The process is:
iexplore.exe

This is Internet Explorer's ap. When I find this, I end all iexplore.exe processes. Just be sure you know the difference between iexplore.exe and explore.exe. Explore.exe is an essential Windows process, and is how Windows displays all your files and folders. Do Not turn off this process, or you will need to reboot your computer to get it going properly again.

Good luck with your endeavors at using the Task Manager.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14148 (20160920) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 14148 (20160920) __________

http://www.eset.com

mike mcglashon

good morning guys
I have been following this thread for a little while
The gentleman said that if I take the program name and put it in Google it would tell me whether or not the file in question is a necessary operating system file to be running
Will it describe what the program does and will it be straightforward and telling us whether it's an operating system bio?
Or
Well it just give us its function
Which would still bag

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 20, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

[...]

It will describe what the file does, but it won't always be straightforward in telling you that it is an Operating System function. The description of what the file does should clue you in to the fact that Windows needs this file running to do its work.

[...]

Tony

I have no problem checking the process list.  My question is when the total of items in the process add to a total cpu usage of 0 to 4 percent and the status line says the cpu usage is 40 percent.

Rebooting the system stops the extra cpu usage but it may reappear in hours or weeks.

Where do I go to find the culprit?

Tony

[...]

A bunch of general notes:

  • 40% CPU usage is nowhere near to "high."  If you're experiencing bad lagging at 40% CPU usage you need to see if something is thrashing your hard disc.  A machine should be flying along at 40% CPU usage if nothing else is preventing it from doing so.
  • The 64-bit Windows environment still uses lots of 32-bit processes.  Many programs that come in 32 and 64 bit will even install 32-bit by default unless instructed otherwise on a 64-bit system.
  • Many programs, whether part of the Windows OS or not (Chrome being one example) run many simultaneous processes.  In the case of Chrome it's one per tab plus a couple more (I can't remember the exact count)
  • If you are having horrible lag at system start this can very often be the result of an orphan entry in the registry or startup folder that's trying to start something that's no longer on your system.  Some programs are notorious for not cleaning up after themselves well when they are uninstalled while others can end up this way if uninstalled incorrectly.  Windows will keep trying and trying and trying to start up processes/programs that are specified as part of boot up even when they are no longer present, and it hangs waiting for a response and, after some ungodly long period of time without response, will try again to start whatever it happens to be.  (At least this has been the case for as long as I've been working with Windows.  This might have changed with Windows 10, but I doubt it.

--
Brian

         ~ William James

Tony

I probably should have given a bit more info.

I’m running Windows 7 64-bit Pro on a SSD with a second, small SSd paging drive, 3 2tb spinning drive and 8gb ram which is the max on my Dell desktop with an I3 at 3.3ghz

At runtime I start Jaws 16 and MS Security Essentials.  Others, like Adobe, Itunes, printer and scanner management I have set to load only when needed, which is rairly.

Cpu usage is less than 2% at this point.

I usually load uTorrent which brings the usage up to 10-15 percent.

The system may idle at this level for days, approaching 100% when running 7-zip or audio processing programs.  It returns to the 10-15% level when those programs finish.

Occasionally, the idle usage goes to 50-60% with uTorrent running and to 30-40% after uTorrent is terminated and with only a browser or two open.

Closing all applications in the Task Manager list and the uTorrent process drops the usage to either near zero or to 30-40%.  I have not been able to determine any reason for the difference or a way to predict when the higher level will occur.

Checking the Task Manager Process list shows many of the previously running processes still loaded but at most 1 or 2 processes at 1% usage and a status line entry of 30-40% total usage.

I have run MS Security Essentials, which has protected me for years and nothing shows.  I haven’t been able to find a version of MalWare Bytes that I can run successfully.

Keyboard delay is barely noticeable at 30-40% usage, noticeable at 60% and terrible at 70+%.  Probably a good pard of that is Jaws related, especially when memory load is high and paging is likely to be occurring.

I tend to keep multiple projects running.  I have seen 90+ entries in the process list and 25+ in the applications list.  Most are static displays but many are active with high cpu and i/o demands.  Terminating all of these programs sometimes results in essentially no cpu usage while at other times it still shows 30-40% usage.

Tony