difficulty uploading large file

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

Using latest Filezilla,I am attempting to upload a fairly large rar file to an FTP site and although the file test extracts  on my system without errors, it will not extract at the other end.  This has been attempted numerous times with the same result.

Does anyone know if this is because of the rar format being used or some other problem. What if the zip or some other format was used instead.

Failing that, how  can I use one of the sites where a file can be uploaded   and then downloaded by another person? Although I have used one of these sites to download a file, I know nothing about uploading a file and making it available for another person.

Thanks

Tom

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hm, how large is the file?

Somehow I doubt this is a problem with Filezilla.

Have you tried on more than one ftp site?

Might be a problem on the remote end, since the file extracts fine on yours.

I personally use sendspace, but it is slow, for uploading large files especially. It’s a pain but I have a paid account and basically unlimited storage.

Many people use dropbox today and I’m sure someone could give you pointers about that if that’s what you need.

But FTP is pretty tried and true, you know?

Using latest Filezilla,I am attempting to upload a fairly large rar file to an FTP site and although the file test extracts  on my system without errors, it will not extract at the other end.  This has been attempted numerous times with the same result.

Does anyone know if this is because of the rar format being used or some other problem. What if the zip or some other format was used instead.

Failing that, how  can I use one of the sites where a file can be uploaded   and then downloaded by another person? Although I have used one of these sites to download a file, I know nothing about uploading a file and making it available for another person.

Thanks

Tom

Jason White

I would suggest verifying the md5 or SHA-256 hashes once the file is transferred to the remote end.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/verify-md5-sha-1-sha-256-checksum-windows10/

If they don’t match, something went wrong with the data transfer.

Using latest Filezilla,I am attempting to upload a fairly large rar file to an FTP site and although the file test extracts  on my system without errors, it will not extract at the other end.  This has been attempted numerous times with the same result.

Does anyone know if this is because of the rar format being used or some other problem. What if the zip or some other format was used instead.

Failing that, how  can I use one of the sites where a file can be uploaded   and then downloaded by another person? Although I have used one of these sites to download a file, I know nothing about uploading a file and making it available for another person.

Thanks

Tom

Marty Hutchings

I don’t know what a rar file is, but have you tried Dropbox?

Love in Christ
Marty

Using latest Filezilla,I am attempting to upload a fairly large rar file to an FTP site and although the file test extracts  on my system without errors, it will not extract at the other end.  This has been attempted numerous times with the same result.

Does anyone know if this is because of the rar format being used or some other problem. What if the zip or some other format was used instead.

Failing that, how  can I use one of the sites where a file can be uploaded   and then downloaded by another person? Although I have used one of these sites to download a file, I know nothing about uploading a file and making it available for another person.

Thanks

Tom

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Thanks to those who replied to my query about a rar upload problem.

I have also uploaded to a  free file transfer site

Wetransfer.com

which resulted in the same problem so it looks like the fault is at my end.

Will investigate further.

Cheers

Tom

Using latest Filezilla,I am attempting to upload a fairly large rar file to an FTP site and although the file test extracts  on my system without errors, it will not extract at the other end.  This has been attempted numerous times with the same result.

Does anyone know if this is because of the rar format being used or some other problem. What if the zip or some other format was used instead.

Failing that, how  can I use one of the sites where a file can be uploaded   and then downloaded by another person? Although I have used one of these sites to download a file, I know nothing about uploading a file and making it available for another person.

Thanks

Tom

Jonas Voll

How big is the file?

You may try to split your RAR’s to smaller file sizes,!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Using latest Filezilla,I am attempting to upload a fairly large rar file to an FTP site and although the file test extracts  on my system without errors, it will not extract at the other end.  This has been attempted numerous times with the same result.

Does anyone know if this is because of the rar format being used or some other problem. What if the zip or some other format was used instead.

Failing that, how  can I use one of the sites where a file can be uploaded   and then downloaded by another person? Although I have used one of these sites to download a file, I know nothing about uploading a file and making it available for another person.

Thanks

Tom

and
'spam@...'

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is now solved.  There was something wrong with the rar file and switching to a zip file did the trick.

Cheers

Tom