From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nino Dagostino
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 6:21 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Trying to format a krupt usb stick

Good morning:

I have a 32 gig usb drive the formatting got messed up some how, I am trying to restore the stick to the original 32 gig.

Does any body know of any formatting tools that could help?

Thank you.

Nino Dagostino

Hello:

I tried that and the stick formats to a small size, the stick was 32G

I am proble going to have to find another formatting program?

Thank you.

Insert the stic in Windows, open Windows Explorer, find the stic, right click/use Shift+F10 and select Format from the menu.

I have a 32 gig usb drive the formatting got messed up some how, I am trying to restore the stick to the original 32 gig.

Does any body know of any formatting tools that could help?

Thank you.

Don H

A 32 Gig thumb drive will not format to having 32 Gig.  More likely to be in the high twenties.

On 10/20/2018 9:52 AM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

Hello:

I tried that and the stick formats to a small size, the stick was 32G

I am proble going to have to find another formatting program?

Thank you.

Insert the stic in Windows, open Windows Explorer, find the stic, right click/use Shift+F10 and select Format from the menu.

I have a 32 gig usb drive the formatting got messed up some how, I am trying to restore the stick to the original 32 gig.

Does any body know of any formatting tools that could help?

Thank you.

Mario

have you tried the usual way using Windows, or does Windows have a
problem recognizing the drive when inserting it into a USB port?

I have a 32 gig usb drive the formatting got messed up some how, I am
trying to restore the stick to the original 32 gig.

Does any body know of any formatting tools that could help?

Thank you.

Mario

curious... why is that?

Insert the stic in Windows, open Windows Explorer, find the stic,
right click/use Shift+F10 and select Format from the menu.

I have a 32 gig usb drive the formatting got messed up some how, I am
trying to restore the stick to the original 32 gig.

Does any body know of any formatting tools that could help?

Thank you.

Don H

To be able to store information on a flash drive or any other drive you must have area available to also store info to retrieve such data.  So some storage is set aside for tables and such to keep track of where on the drive idata is stored.  This area is not shown as available bytes on the drive.

On 10/20/2018 10:04 AM, Mario wrote:
curious... why is that?

Insert the stic in Windows, open Windows Explorer, find the stic,
right click/use Shift+F10 and select Format from the menu.

I have a 32 gig usb drive the formatting got messed up some how, I am
trying to restore the stick to the original 32 gig.

Does any body know of any formatting tools that could help?

Thank you.

What size does it format to with Windows? I have never had a stick not format correctly using the format option in Windows.
But Don is correct, you never get the full size, a 32 Gb stick will probably hold about 28 Gb after formatting.

Insert the stic in Windows, open Windows Explorer, find the stic,
right click/use Shift+F10 and select Format from the menu.

Insert the stic in Windows, open Windows Explorer, find the stic,
right click/use Shift+F10 and select Format from the menu.

I have a 32 gig usb drive the formatting got messed up some how, I am
trying to restore the stick to the original 32 gig.

Does any body know of any formatting tools that could help?

Thank you.

.

I'm not quite sure what "corrupt" means in this instance.

It is possible for thumb/jump/flash drives used to create bootable media can seem to lose a lot of the capacity they once had.  The folks who created MemTest86 have a lesser known utility, ImageUSB, that has as its primary purpose creating multiple bootable USB drives using the same ISO image at one time.  It can also be used, however, to reclaim that "lost" space on those drives that experience it by using the "Zero USB drive" option in the utility.

I've had 2 USB thumb drives that have had the "lost capacity" issue after being used to create bootable media and using ImageUSB to zero them out again has reclaimed it each time.

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

Dave Durber

Hello Brian:

I have a 64 GB memory stick, on which I created a partition to install Windows from an ISO image.

Unfortunately, when I tried to use the Windows Partition and Format utility to remove the partition containing the Windows installation and return the memory stick back to 64 GB, I got an error telling me that the "Delete Volume function was Unavailable", which meant that the partition could not be deleted/removed.

Following the information you gave in your previous message, I downloaded and used the ImageUSB utility.

The problem is, that when I selected the option to zero the USB Memory stick to return it to its maximum storage capacity of 64 GB, ImageUSB  got rid of the information in the Windows installation partition but, it did not delete/remove the 7.5 GB partition, which was the size of the Windows Installation partition.

Any suggestions as to what I may have not done correctly?

[...]

fenderwal@...

Sorry I hadn't been following this thread, but have you tried deleting not the 7.5Gb partition, but the larger one instead? Just a thought.

[...]

Hello There:

I would delete the larger partition, if it existed but, when the program I was using to create the Windows installation partition from the .ISO file, would be deleted from the memory stick, I had to agree, even though, I had reduced the maximum available storage space to 40 GB, to make sure there would be enough space for the smaller Windows installation partition.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

Soronel Haetir

The reason that advertised space and windows disagree is that drive
makers use powers of ten while windows uses multiples of powers of 2
(same as memory). The wndows division factors are larger than used by
drive makers.

So a drive maker gigabyte is 1,000,000,000 bytes while a windows
gigabyte is 1,073,741,824 bytes. 32,000,000,000/1,073,741,824 ~=29.8gb
(as shown by windows explorer).

Jonas Voll

Hey, Dave!

But why do you need to use two partitions?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

and
'spam@...'

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 08:31 AM, Jonas Voll wrote:
But why do you need to use two partitions?
I had a similar thought.  Not that it can't be done, but it has been my experience that when it comes to partitioning thumb drives or SD cards, that way lies madness.

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

Dave Durber

Jonas:

By reducing the 64 GB partition to 40 GB then creating the Windows installation partition, I was hoping that I could save installation files for programs for any new install.

But, as I previouslya said, I did not get the choice, as the program comverting the .iso image to USB that all partitions on the USB would have to be deleted before it could creat the partition containing the Windows install.

By the Way, I did try to use, DiskPart to remove the 7.5 GB, with no success.

So back to the internet to see if anyone has any mor suggestions.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

But you do not need to do it this way!

Just create your USB drive with the PE or Windows installISO, and create a new folder after you create your USB drive and copy the software your wanting to install on the new OS!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST