New Winamp beta on winamp.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell

I have the old Winamp.  Will this replace it or work as a separate entity?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Success is having the courage to meet failure without being defeated.

On 10/19/2018 1:22 PM, Bill White wrote:

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Maria. It replaces the old Winamp. As with any beta install, I would keep a copy of the old Winamp installer, in case there are bugs, or in case you don’t like the behavior of the new beta.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have the old Winamp.  Will this replace it or work as a separate entity?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Success is having the courage to meet failure without being defeated.

On 10/19/2018 1:22 PM, Bill White wrote:

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Leo

hi, I wonder why people keep using winamp, I haven't used it for many many years now,

so I really want to know some features about this winamp  beta, if someone already tryed it out.

Mostly I'm interested in listening to audiobooks so, it's easy to know current and remaining time? and,

does winamp allow to resume so I can stop and re take later my audiobook?

thanks for further information.

Visit my blog:
https://blindbirdchronicles.wordpress.com

Do me a favor and inspire me...
Literophilus
El 19/10/2018 a las 12:23, Bill White escribió:

Hi, Maria. It replaces the old Winamp. As with any beta install, I would keep a copy of the old Winamp installer, in case there are bugs, or in case you don’t like the behavior of the new beta.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have the old Winamp.  Will this replace it or work as a separate entity?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Success is having the courage to meet failure without being defeated.

On 10/19/2018 1:22 PM, Bill White wrote:

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Maria Campbell

It is what I got used to and still meets my needs.

On 10/19/2018 2:39 PM, Lev wrote:

[...]

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

People use Winamp because of the powerful keyboard support implemented in JAWS scripts and in the NVDA add-on. Also, the keyboard support in the program itself.  One usually wants something to replace Windows Media Player, and Winamp is both powerful and simple.

I have the old Winamp.  Will this replace it or work as a separate entity?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Success is having the courage to meet failure without being defeated.

On 10/19/2018 1:22 PM, Bill White wrote:

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Winamp allows resume, if you set a bookmark. I use winamp for the ease of playing large numbers of files, for the convenience of the ALT plus 3 key to tag files, and for the five-second increment in arrowing through files. Plus, it is a matter of using what feels comfortable to the user. Also, Winamp is very good for listening to radio stations. There are millions of Winamp users around the world, despite the fact that a new version hasn’t been released since 2013.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have the old Winamp.  Will this replace it or work as a separate entity?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Success is having the courage to meet failure without being defeated.

On 10/19/2018 1:22 PM, Bill White wrote:

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

George Gray

Has anyone actually installed and taken it for a test run? If so, can
you inform us as to what any differences may be, or any enhancements
that may now be on board.

Personally I have always loved WinAmp and found it to be the greatest
thing in sound since vinyl...:)

lucky1inct@gmail.com

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Marty Hutchings

I too would like to know if the Winamp upgrade is worth it.  This is by far the most keyboard friendly music player.  I only wish that iTunes was half as easy to use as Winamp.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 1:57 PM

People use Winamp because of the powerful keyboard support implemented in JAWS scripts and in the NVDA add-on. Also, the keyboard support in the program itself.  One usually wants something to replace Windows Media Player, and Winamp is both powerful and simple.

I have the old Winamp.  Will this replace it or work as a separate entity?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Success is having the courage to meet failure without being defeated.

On 10/19/2018 1:22 PM, Bill White wrote:

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

William Vandervest

I have winamp pro, will the new version install as an upgrade to the new
version of winamp pro?
Thanks

Jed Barton <jedbarton@...>

Winamp is quite simply the best player you can get. I absolutely love
it. It's simple, easy, and it just works every single time.

On 10/19/18, William Vandervest <timelord09@comcast.net> wrote:
I have winamp pro, will the new version install as an upgrade to the new
version of winamp pro?
Thanks

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

There is no more Winamp pro. So, if you have features you paid for in Winamp
Pro, you should make sure that the new Winamp will still include them. For
example, I don't know if you will be able to burn CDs in the new, completely
free, version of Winamp.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I have winamp pro, will the new version install as an upgrade to the new
version of winamp pro?
Thanks

Debbie April Yuille

I use it because it’s the only player I know of that can show you’re the Sample Rate and Bit Rate of a file that’s playing.

Debbie

I have the old Winamp.  Will this replace it or work as a separate entity?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Success is having the courage to meet failure without being defeated.

On 10/19/2018 1:22 PM, Bill White wrote:

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Vic Beckley

Bill,

Do you know if the scripts work with this beta?

Vic

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

dennis

they work just fine. the biggest difference i have seen so far is there are a bunch more file types it will play. the library seams to be active again with online choices. i haven't played with that much but everything else is working great. you can also sign up on winamp.com to the news letter and get update information. i installed it yesterday and have had 0 problems what so ever.

On 10/20/2018 6:32 AM, Vic Beckley wrote:

Bill,

Do you know if the scripts work with this beta?

Vic

Just wanted to notify those who are interested that there is a new Winamp beta on winamp.com>downloads. It is:

winamp58_3660_beta_full_en-us.exe

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

There have been a couple of reports of folks having issues installing the Winamp 5.8 beta that's currently available for download at Winamp's site.  I had no issues at all.

I used NVDA during the install, and I have Unchecky on my system which runs Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1809 [yes, I got an early update that worked], Build 17763.  Here is what I encountered after the initial UAC dialog when launching the Winamp installer:

Dialog 1:  Opening Dialog, just hit the Next button

Dialog 2:  Install type (Standard versus Custom).  Unchecky, if you're using it, switches any installer that gives standard and custom options to custom, since if there is bundled software the only way it will be exposed for a user to choose or decline is with a custom install.  In the case of Winamp I can report that there is no bundled software, so if you wish to choose the standard install you should be safe.  That being said, you will probably not get the next dialog for choosing components you wish to install, so if you wish to pick and choose, keep/choose the custom option.  I proceeded with Custom.  Next button.

Dialog 3:  Install Location.  Uses the Program Files (x86) Winamp folder, which is precisely as expected.  Next button.

Dialog 4:  Choose Components.  Defaults to Full with all skins, visualizations, etc.  There are three other options to choose from, and no matter which you choose the component tree changes to indicate via checkboxes what components are/are not installed with that option.  You can customize any of them.  I just went with Full.  Next button.

Dialog 5:  Choose Start Options.  Has three checkboxes:  Start Menu Entry, Quick Launch Icon, Desktop Icon.
                Next button

Dialog 6:  This is the last true Winamp dialog, however, you will get another UAC dialog right after you launch Winamp for the first time just like you do when you launch the installer.  The only thing on this dialog is a checkbox asking if you want to launch Winamp when finished and the close (or maybe it was finish) button.

NOTE:  If using NVDA, pay attention to the rising beep indicator to determine when the install is actually complete.  The Winamp installer exposes each and every item during the install to NVDA, so it keeps reading and reading and reading well after Dialog 6 above has been presented and I have no idea how long this might keep going on as I stopped it about 30 seconds or so after I saw that the install had completed (and it did complete when the beep indicator tells you it did).

  If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

          ~ Fran Lebowitz

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

No, I don’t know, because I rarely install beta programs. I didn’t even install the new beta of JAWS.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...