Office 365 Excel 2016 and Jaws 2018 Issues

Brian Prewitt

Hi List,

One of my executives is having quite a few issues with Jaws 2018 and Office 365 Excel 2016, the latest build of both under Windows 7. So much so that I have installed excel 2010 on his computer in order for him to get work done. He is reporting the following issues. Jaws becomes silent when saving files, formulas aren’t read to him, he will lose an hour of work randomly, he can’t widen columns, add new sheets, rename sheets, etc. All of these things and others I may not have mentioned he can do in Excel 2010. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

Alyssa <lyssassong@...>

Contact FS, and report this. I also have issues with JAWS 2018 and Office 365. Mine are with Word. I cannot properly read information in tables, so I can see how this would transfer over to Excel.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Prewitt
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2018 10:05 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Office 365 Excel 2016 and Jaws 2018 Issues

Hi List,

One of my executives is having quite a few issues with Jaws 2018 and Office 365 Excel 2016, the latest build of both under Windows 7. So much so that I have installed excel 2010 on his computer in order for him to get work done. He is reporting the following issues. Jaws becomes silent when saving files, formulas aren’t read to him, he will lose an hour of work randomly, he can’t widen columns, add new sheets, rename sheets, etc. All of these things and others I may not have mentioned he can do in Excel 2010. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

Brian Prewitt

I have reported it. They tell me to do an Office repair and/or move to Windows 10.

On Oct 15, 2018, at 9:12 PM, Alyssa <lyssassong@gmail.com> wrote:

Contact FS, and report this. I also have issues with JAWS 2018 and Office 365. Mine are with Word. I cannot properly read information in tables, so I can see how this would transfer over to Excel.

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

Brian Prewitt

I will attempt an Office repair. As for Windows 10, do others find better Jaws 2018/Excel 2016(Office 365) stability under Windows 10 rather than Windows 7? Are there any adjustments that I can make in Jaws or Excel to make them work better under Windows 7?

Thank you,

Brian

On Oct 15, 2018, at 9:17 PM, Brian Prewitt <bprewitt@msblind.org> wrote:

I have reported it. They tell me to do an Office repair and/or move to Windows 10.

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

Richard Turner

You may also want to call Microsoft accessibility: 800-936-5900 
They would even take the time to remote into the machine and see if they could identify the issue and fix it.
Richard

xpert: an ex is a has-been, a spirt is a drip under pressure. -- Bruce U. Utah Phillips

🦅

On Oct 15, 2018, at 7:29 PM, Brian Prewitt <bprewitt@...> wrote:

I will attempt an Office repair.  As for Windows 10, do others find better Jaws 2018/Excel 2016(Office 365) stability under Windows 10 rather than Windows 7?  Are there any adjustments that I can make in Jaws or Excel to make them work better under Windows 7?

Thank you,

Brian
On Oct 15, 2018, at 9:17 PM, Brian Prewitt <bprewitt@...> wrote:

I have reported it.  They tell me to do an Office repair and/or move to Windows 10.
On Oct 15, 2018, at 9:12 PM, Alyssa <lyssassong@...> wrote:

Hi List,

One of my executives is having quite a few issues with Jaws 2018 and Office 365 Excel 2016, the latest build of both under Windows 7.  So much so that I have installed excel 2010 on his computer in order for him to get work done.  He is reporting the following issues.  Jaws becomes silent when saving files, formulas aren’t read to him, he will lose an hour of work randomly, he can’t widen columns, add new sheets, rename sheets, etc.  All of these things and others I may not have mentioned he can do in Excel 2010.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

Richard Turner

Actually, if this is a work machine, they may not unless you go through their Enterprise department, and I don't think they have a phone number.
Richard

xpert: an ex is a has-been, a spirt is a drip under pressure. -- Bruce U. Utah Phillips

🦅

On Oct 15, 2018, at 7:41 PM, Richard Turner <richardturner42@...> wrote:

You may also want to call Microsoft accessibility: 800-936-5900 
They would even take the time to remote into the machine and see if they could identify the issue and fix it.
Richard

🦅

On Oct 15, 2018, at 7:29 PM, Brian Prewitt <bprewitt@...> wrote:

I will attempt an Office repair.  As for Windows 10, do others find better Jaws 2018/Excel 2016(Office 365) stability under Windows 10 rather than Windows 7?  Are there any adjustments that I can make in Jaws or Excel to make them work better under Windows 7?

Thank you,

Brian
On Oct 15, 2018, at 9:17 PM, Brian Prewitt <bprewitt@...> wrote:

I have reported it.  They tell me to do an Office repair and/or move to Windows 10.
On Oct 15, 2018, at 9:12 PM, Alyssa <lyssassong@...> wrote:

Hi List,

One of my executives is having quite a few issues with Jaws 2018 and Office 365 Excel 2016, the latest build of both under Windows 7.  So much so that I have installed excel 2010 on his computer in order for him to get work done.  He is reporting the following issues.  Jaws becomes silent when saving files, formulas aren’t read to him, he will lose an hour of work randomly, he can’t widen columns, add new sheets, rename sheets, etc.  All of these things and others I may not have mentioned he can do in Excel 2010.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

What other applications do you or your employee need to use? If it's primarily Office then upgrading to Windows 10 is fine, it is very stabil and Office works well.
I know you mentioned he can't change the width of columns and so on, if he came from Excel 2010, are you sure he knows how to do it, if I remember correctly, didn't Excel 2010 still use menus or di dit have ribbon menus already?
If he has to use older applications and if he uses the Jaws cursor a lot there is a good chance he will lose that in Windows 10.

Sent: Monday, October 15, 2018 7:29 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Office 365 Excel 2016 and Jaws 2018 Issues

I will attempt an Office repair. As for Windows 10, do others find better Jaws 2018/Excel 2016(Office 365) stability under Windows 10 rather than Windows 7? Are there any adjustments that I can make in Jaws or Excel to make them work better under Windows 7?

Thank you,

Brian

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

Brian Prewitt

He uses Excel, Outlook, and Word primarily. The ribbon is in Excel 2010. He reports the column width is no longer in the context menu in Excel 2016.

On Oct 16, 2018, at 10:41 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

What other applications do you or your employee need to use? If it's primarily Office then upgrading to Windows 10 is fine, it is very stabil and Office works well.
I know you mentioned he can't change the width of columns and so on, if he came from Excel 2010, are you sure he knows how to do it, if I remember correctly, didn't Excel 2010 still use menus or di dit have ribbon menus already?
If he has to use older applications and if he uses the Jaws cursor a lot there is a good chance he will lose that in Windows 10.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

Well, he will have to learn where to find it or remember the shortcut keys, column width is Alt+H followed by O and W
Also, I believe there are ways to add things to the context menu with various ttweaks, you'd have to Google this, but I'm almost certain I read there is a way to add things to the context menu.
I found it took a bit to get used to Office 2013 and later 2016 which isn't so different, but it was quite a change from Office 2010, but you can't stay on 2010 forever so one might as well deal with it.

Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 8:50 AM

He uses Excel, Outlook, and Word primarily. The ribbon is in Excel 2010. He reports the column width is no longer in the context menu in Excel 2016.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

Brian Prewitt

I do agree that we will have to move to Excel 2016 sooner rather than later. So, it sounds like they have moved things from the context menu into the ribbon.

On Oct 16, 2018, at 11:03 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

Well, he will have to learn where to find it or remember the shortcut keys, column width is Alt+H followed by O and W
Also, I believe there are ways to add things to the context menu with various ttweaks, you'd have to Google this, but I'm almost certain I read there is a way to add things to the context menu.
I found it took a bit to get used to Office 2013 and later 2016 which isn't so different, but it was quite a change from Office 2010, but you can't stay on 2010 forever so one might as well deal with it.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

James Lockwood <lockwoodnd@...>

Worst thing about office 2016 is the auto correct button is taken out of the spellcheck dialogue area. So it is impossible to add new items to the auto correct list automatically by just clicking a button

On Oct 16, 2018, at 12:33 PM, Brian Prewitt <bprewitt@msblind.org> wrote:

I do agree that we will have to move to Excel 2016 sooner rather than later. So, it sounds like they have moved things from the context menu into the ribbon.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

Hi James,

I still seem to have the autocrect button
Notthe spelling of "autocorrect" which I intentionally misspelled. I did a spell check by pressing F7 (this is in Outlook writing this message) and below is what I copied from Jaws history after tabbing through all the options:

Spelling and Grammar: dialog
Not in Dictionary: autocrect
A u t o c r e c t
Suggestions: List box autocorrect
A u t o c o r r e c t
Suggestions: List box autocorrect
autocorrect
1 of 6
Dictionary language: Combo box
English (Canada)
Alt+D
Ignore Once Button Alt+I
Ignore All Button Alt+g
Add to Dictionary Button Alt+A
Change Button Alt+C
Change All Button Alt+l
AutoCorrect Button Alt+r
Check grammar check box checked Alt+k
Options... Button Alt+O
Cancel Button

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Lockwood
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 3:22 PM

Worst thing about office 2016 is the auto correct button is taken out of the spellcheck dialogue area. So it is impossible to add new items to the auto correct list automatically by just clicking a button

On Oct 16, 2018, at 12:33 PM, Brian Prewitt <bprewitt@msblind.org> wrote:

Thank you,

Brian

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

Van Lant, Robin

I heavily use Excel 2016 in Windows 10 with JAWS 2018. I moved to JAWS from Window Eyes as the same time I moved to Win 10 and Office 2016, so I'm not really able to compare JAWS in the two versions of Excel. The only real issue I have in Excel is a noticeable lag when opening large files where autofilters are turned on.

As for column width, I use the old Excel 2003 keyboard shortcut that still works. Hit Alt C (think Column) and then w to open a small edit box that tells you current width and allows you to change the entry. Also, Alt C then A will autofit the width.

Robin

Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 10:34 AM

Well, he will have to learn where to find it or remember the shortcut
keys, column width is Alt+H followed by O and W Also, I believe there are ways to add things to the context menu with various ttweaks, you'd have to Google this, but I'm almost certain I read there is a way to add things to the context menu.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian
Prewitt

Prewitt

Thank you,

Brian

Prewitt

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.

Mario

Robin, I think you mean. alt o c a. will auto fit. but doesn't the
column have to be selected first to accommodate the longest entry in the
column (with a control spacebar)?

-------- Original Message --------
[mailto:Robin_Van_Lant=Key.com@groups.io]
Sent: Monday, Oct 22, 2018 5:16 PM EST

I heavily use Excel 2016 in Windows 10 with JAWS 2018. I moved to JAWS
from Window Eyes as the same time I moved to Win 10 and Office 2016, so
I'm not really able to compare JAWS in the two versions of Excel. The
only real issue I have in Excel is a noticeable lag when opening large
files where autofilters are turned on.

As for column width, I use the old Excel 2003 keyboard shortcut that
still works. Hit Alt C (think Column) and then w to open a small edit
box that tells you current width and allows you to change the entry.
Also, Alt C then A will autofit the width.

Robin

I do agree that we will have to move to Excel 2016 sooner rather than
later. So, it sounds like they have moved things from the context menu
into the ribbon.

Well, he will have to learn where to find it or remember the shortcut
keys, column width is Alt+H followed by O and W Also, I believe there
are ways to add things to the context menu with various ttweaks, you'd
have to Google this, but I'm almost certain I read there is a way to add
things to the context menu.
I found it took a bit to get used to Office 2013 and later 2016 which
isn't so different, but it was quite a change from Office 2010, but you
can't stay on 2010 forever so one might as well deal with it.

Prewitt

He uses Excel, Outlook, and Word primarily. The ribbon is in Excel
2010. He reports the column width is no longer in the context menu in
Excel 2016.

What other applications do you or your employee need to use? If it's
primarily Office then upgrading to Windows 10 is fine, it is very stabil
and Office works well.
I know you mentioned he can't change the width of columns and so on, if
he came from Excel 2010, are you sure he knows how to do it, if I
remember correctly, didn't Excel 2010 still use menus or di dit have
ribbon menus already?
If he has to use older applications and if he uses the Jaws cursor a lot
there is a good chance he will lose that in Windows 10.

Prewitt

I will attempt an Office repair. As for Windows 10, do others find
better Jaws 2018/Excel 2016(Office 365) stability under Windows 10
rather than Windows 7? Are there any adjustments that I can make in
Jaws or Excel to make them work better under Windows 7?

Thank you,

Brian

I have reported it. They tell me to do an Office repair and/or move to
Windows 10.

Contact FS, and report this. I also have issues with JAWS 2018 and
Office 365. Mine are with Word. I cannot properly read information in
tables, so I can see how this would transfer over to Excel.

Prewitt

Hi List,

One of my executives is having quite a few issues with Jaws 2018 and
Office 365 Excel 2016, the latest build of both under Windows 7. So
much so that I have installed excel 2010 on his computer in order for
him to get work done. He is reporting the following issues. Jaws
becomes silent when saving files, formulas aren’t read to him, he will
lose an hour of work randomly, he can’t widen columns, add new sheets,
rename sheets, etc. All of these things and others I may not have
mentioned he can do in Excel 2010. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brian

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential
information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from
disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If
you received this communication in error, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic
or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal
information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or
redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the
services for which you are receiving the information.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or
services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional
E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

Yes, if you want to autofit the longest entry anywhere in the column, you would need to first select the column. Often I already know that I am in the cell with the longest entry, so I can just do the autofit option without selecting the whole column first.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 3:47 PM

Robin, I think you mean. alt o c a. will auto fit. but doesn't the column have to be selected first to accommodate the longest entry in the column (with a control spacebar)?

-------- Original Message --------
[mailto:Robin_Van_Lant=Key.com@groups.io]
Sent: Monday, Oct 22, 2018 5:16 PM EST

I heavily use Excel 2016 in Windows 10 with JAWS 2018. I moved to JAWS from Window Eyes as the same time I moved to Win 10 and Office 2016, so I'm not really able to compare JAWS in the two versions of Excel. The only real issue I have in Excel is a noticeable lag when opening large files where autofilters are turned on.

As for column width, I use the old Excel 2003 keyboard shortcut that still works. Hit Alt C (think Column) and then w to open a small edit box that tells you current width and allows you to change the entry.
Also, Alt C then A will autofit the width.

Robin

Well, he will have to learn where to find it or remember the shortcut keys, column width is Alt+H followed by O and W Also, I believe there are ways to add things to the context menu with various ttweaks, you'd have to Google this, but I'm almost certain I read there is a way to add things to the context menu.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi List,

Regards,

Brian

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.