Topics

How to get the old Alt Tab dialog in Windows 10 Back

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi All,

Running Windows 10 Pro and Jaws latest.  I came across this, tried it and it works as advertised.  I didn't do the registry hack personally, but downloaded the program and made the change with their program.  Here's the website to hear how it works and the download link & steps are below the website URL.

To download the program click on the link below, press the letter, B for button, then up arrow a few times to the download link.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Does this process benefit screen reader users?  The current alt+tab approach seems pretty responsive to me.

Thought-provoking reading: http://bahaiteachings.org

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 3:41 PM
To: JFW List <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: How to get the old Alt Tab dialog in Windows 10 Back

Hi All,

Running Windows 10 Pro and Jaws latest.  I came across this, tried it and it works as advertised.  I didn't do the registry hack personally, but downloaded the program and made the change with their program.  Here's the website to hear how it works and the download link & steps are below the website URL.

To download the program click on the link below, press the letter, B for button, then up arrow a few times to the download link.

Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Dean,

I prefer it much better than the default Alt + Tab method.  But, my preferences are exactly that, my preferences.  I only put this out because I've read many times how people don't like the way the default Alt + Tab works and are suggested to use Windows key + Tab instead.
Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: How to get the old Alt Tab dialog in Windows 10 Back

Does this process benefit screen reader users?  The current alt+tab approach seems pretty responsive to me.

Hi All,

Sent from my iBarstool.

I’m trying to remember how the “old Alt+Tab” method was different from using Alt+tab now in Windows 10?

Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 3:31 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi Dean,

I prefer it much better than the default Alt + Tab method.  But, my preferences are exactly that, my preferences.  I only put this out because I've read many times how people don't like the way the default Alt + Tab works and are suggested to use Windows key + Tab instead.

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi All,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

I would like an explanation of this.  How, for a screen reader user who doesn’t notice how the windows are represented, is the new alt+tab different from the old one?  They seem the same to me, and Windows+tab is entirely different. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 12:39 AM

I’m trying to remember how the “old Alt+Tab” method was different from using Alt+tab now in Windows 10?

Hi Dean,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi All,

Sent from my iBarstool.

William Vandervest

On a related point, what does the (windows+tab) do?

Thanks

My understanding is that Windows+Tab gets you into the task view, you can also get to this by tabbing from the desktop or going to the taskbar with Windows Key+T and then doing a Shift+Tab.

If you have open applications then Windows+Tab will bring up a list of these applications, you can arrow left and right in that list and press enter to go to any of them which are listed.

Just now that I have Outlook open and I am composing this message if I press Windows+Tab I have two items in that list, one is the Inbox and one is this email which I am composing.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of William Vandervest
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:20 AM

Thanks

Cristóbal

Yup. You can also once on a highlighted application, access the context menu and go through the options of moving a program to another virtual desktop, have the same window appear on all desktops, etc.

Very helpful when you’re working with multiple desktops all the time like I do.

Cristóbal

Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 7:11 AM

My understanding is that Windows+Tab gets you into the task view, you can also get to this by tabbing from the desktop or going to the taskbar with Windows Key+T and then doing a Shift+Tab.

If you have open applications then Windows+Tab will bring up a list of these applications, you can arrow left and right in that list and press enter to go to any of them which are listed.

Just now that I have Outlook open and I am composing this message if I press Windows+Tab I have two items in that list, one is the Inbox and one is this email which I am composing.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of William Vandervest
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:20 AM

Thanks

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Dean,

The difference I'm finding after switching to the classic style is you get the desktop back.  What I mean is let's say you have Notepad, Word, Firefox,
& Dropbox all open, and you close all the mentioned windows.  With the default Windows 10 setting you land on an empty screen, so you have to invoke the Windows key
+ D, or M, keystroke to get back to the desktop.  Using the classic mode, after you close the previously mentioned windows you Alt + Tab and you're back
on the desktop.  Depending on individual settings this could be different, but this is the difference on my personal computer.  Now, I'm not going to debate
whether one is better than the other because whether I choose the Windows 10 default or the classic mode is  entirely my choice and noone elses.  Like
I said in the original post, the tweak was only mentioned because I've read many people wanting the Alt + Tab back to the desktop option back, and this
gives them that option.
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 6:07 AM

I would like an explanation of this.  How, for a screen reader user who doesn’t notice how the windows are represented, is the new alt+tab different from the old one?  They seem the same to me, and Windows+tab is entirely different. 

Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2018 12:39 AM

Hi Dean,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi All,

Sent from my iBarstool.

I will note that if it's accessible, and based on this topic I suspect it is, at least partially, Winaero Tweaker is a really, really nice tool.  It gives you a lot of control over the UI and it's just as easy to undo something you've done as it is to try it out.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

~ Fran Lebowitz

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Brian & All,

It's very accessible.  All that's required to do is arrowing, tabbing and using the spacebar to check or uncheck options.
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:38 PM

I will note that if it's accessible, and based on this topic I suspect it is, at least partially, Winaero Tweaker is a really, really nice tool.  It gives you a lot of control over the UI and it's just as easy to undo something you've done as it is to try it out.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

~ Fran Lebowitz