Topics

stopping chrome speaking remaining download time

paul lemm

hi,

wondering if anyone can help, I use chrome  as my main web browser , but when I download files  every minute                 or there about jaws updates me on the download progress, this isn’t a problem for small files, but if I want to download something that will take an hour or two constantly getting the download update gets a little annoying.  Is there any setting I can alter to stop jaws constantly reading the download progress?

Paul

Marty Hutchings

Does JAWS still speak the download progress when you Alt+Tab away from Crome?

Love in Christ
Marty

wondering if anyone can help, I use chrome  as my main web browser , but when I download files  every minute                 or there about jaws updates me on the download progress, this isn’t a problem for small files, but if I want to download something that will take an hour or two constantly getting the download update gets a little annoying.  Is there any setting I can alter to stop jaws constantly reading the download progress?

Paul

Van Lant, Robin

When in Chrome, do Insert V to open the JAWS settings for Chrome. Near the bottom of the tree view, you’ll find the progress bar verbosity settings.   You can either turn them off or I think you can change how often they let you know of the progress.

wondering if anyone can help, I use chrome  as my main web browser , but when I download files  every minute                 or there about jaws updates me on the download progress, this isn’t a problem for small files, but if I want to download something that will take an hour or two constantly getting the download update gets a little annoying.  Is there any setting I can alter to stop jaws constantly reading the download progress?

Paul

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

paul lemm

Hi Marty,

Unfortuently  it keeps speaking the remaining download time even when I’ve alt tabbed away from the chrome window.

Paul

Does JAWS still speak the download progress when you Alt+Tab away from Crome?

Love in Christ
Marty

wondering if anyone can help, I use chrome  as my main web browser , but when I download files  every minute                 or there about jaws updates me on the download progress, this isn’t a problem for small files, but if I want to download something that will take an hour or two constantly getting the download update gets a little annoying.  Is there any setting I can alter to stop jaws constantly reading the download progress?

Paul

paul lemm

Hi,

I tried the jaws quick settings for chrome with jaws key and V,  I managed to find the  progress bar  option, I’ve changed it to silent , but I’m still getting the ‘alert downloading, 2 hours left’ message. Thanks for the idea none the less, any other suggestions that might stop the announcements?

Paul

When in Chrome, do Insert V to open the JAWS settings for Chrome. Near the bottom of the tree view, you’ll find the progress bar verbosity settings.   You can either turn them off or I think you can change how often they let you know of the progress.

wondering if anyone can help, I use chrome  as my main web browser , but when I download files  every minute                 or there about jaws updates me on the download progress, this isn’t a problem for small files, but if I want to download something that will take an hour or two constantly getting the download update gets a little annoying.  Is there any setting I can alter to stop jaws constantly reading the download progress?

Paul

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Paul. I think the only way to stop the announcements is to turn off JAWS speech with INSERT plus SPACE, followed by S.

For this to work, you must go into your default configuration file for JAWS, and turn Less Speech options from Speech On Demand to Mute Speech.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Morning Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I still need to use jaws in other programs whilst its downloading, so turning off the speech isn’t really an option for  me. thanks for the suggestion though, I think I’ll just have to revert to downloading  really big files through IE, since that doesn’t give me the progress updates. Its not a big deal to  have to do it this way, I  just thought I’d ask in case there was a way of shutting it off in chrome.

Paul

[...]

Hi, Paul. I don’t use chrome. Even with Internet Explorer, there have been times where I have gotten download percentages. I don’t know if Chrome works this way, but the way I stopped download percentages in IE is to press ALT plus N for the info bar, then cycle through the options with Tab. Once I do that, I stop hearing the progress.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks Bill, I’ll see if I can use a similar technique in chrome to stop the download  progress being spoken. Its handy to know for IE though, since occasionally I do get it in IE too where it speaks download progress, but its not all the time, next time it does though I’ll try your trick. Thanks again.

Paul

[...]

Brian Clark

There is a Google chrome extension called  disable download bar that seems to do the trick. With one of the recent builds of chrome there is a visual bar at the bottom that stays active when doing downloads and it shows the progress bar and that’s what JAWS  is reading. Fortunately, I had the assistance of my sighted   wife who told me about this feature and we discovered this extension which removes that download bar and stops jaws from giving progress announcements when you are downloading.

On Oct 11, 2018, at 12:27 PM, paul lemm <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Brian,

That’s really helpful, I didn’t realise that’s why it was happening, I’m  going to go add that extension now.  Thanks for the  reply.

Paul