Windows 10, JAWS 17 and sluggishness

Karen Reynolds <reynolds-karen@...>

Hi,
I'm first off having trouble learning Windows 10, made worse by the recent
upgrade that changed several things I was doing, but my computer and JAWS
often seems very slow in responding. In particular, I'm having trouble
getting JAWS to stay talking or in some cases with IE 11 to be able to use
the JAWS cursor at all.

I know this is a little vague, well, maybe a lot, but I'm not sure what
specific question to ask because I don't really know what's causing these
issues. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get JAWS to work
more consistently and get rid of some of the stuff running in the
background? And what should I get rid of?

I've only recently upgraded to it so any help would be appreciated.

Karen

John Gurd

I had similar issues and ended up doing a clean install of Windows 10 which
helped a lot. It's a big job as it means reinstalling all your programs and
potentially some drivers so not to be taken lightly. Having said that
although Internet Explorer 11 is working better it still freezes and crashes
from time to time. One day I'll get around to installing another browser.
That's certainly a less drastic step than reinstalling Windows 10 (smiles).

John

I'm first off having trouble learning Windows 10, made worse by the recent
upgrade that changed several things I was doing, but my computer and JAWS
often seems very slow in responding. In particular, I'm having trouble
getting JAWS to stay talking or in some cases with IE 11 to be able to use
the JAWS cursor at all.

I know this is a little vague, well, maybe a lot, but I'm not sure what
specific question to ask because I don't really know what's causing these
issues. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get JAWS to work
more consistently and get rid of some of the stuff running in the
background? And what should I get rid of?

I've only recently upgraded to it so any help would be appreciated.

Karen

Hi,
Which OS did you upgrade from, and have you tried JAWS repair to see if it
fixes some issues?
I have forwarded this question to a Windows 10 mailing list in hopes that
someone here and there can help you.
Cheers,
Joseph

I'm first off having trouble learning Windows 10, made worse by the recent
upgrade that changed several things I was doing, but my computer and JAWS
often seems very slow in responding. In particular, I'm having trouble
getting JAWS to stay talking or in some cases with IE 11 to be able to use
the JAWS cursor at all.

I know this is a little vague, well, maybe a lot, but I'm not sure what
specific question to ask because I don't really know what's causing these
issues. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get JAWS to work
more consistently and get rid of some of the stuff running in the
background? And what should I get rid of?

I've only recently upgraded to it so any help would be appreciated.

Karen

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

It might be less drastic, but not headache free.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

I'm first off having trouble learning Windows 10, made worse
by the recent upgrade that changed several things I was
doing, but my computer and JAWS often seems very slow in
responding. In particular, I'm having trouble getting JAWS
to stay talking or in some cases with IE 11 to be able to
use the JAWS cursor at all.

I know this is a little vague, well, maybe a lot, but I'm
not sure what specific question to ask because I don't
really know what's causing these issues. Does anyone have
any suggestions as to how I can get JAWS to work more
consistently and get rid of some of the stuff running in the
background? And what should I get rid of?

I've only recently upgraded to it so any help would be
appreciated.

Karen

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi John,

I agree, when I upgraded my laptop which is almost 5 years old the experience was quite poor, I then did a complete fresh install and it improved by 100% and I had few issues since. The good thing is that once you upgrade a computer via the upgrade option you can then do a fresh install even if you don't have a Windows Key and it should activate just fine.

Regards,
Sieghard