From: Keyboard Player [mailto:jrmt10@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, Sep 8, 2016 5:27 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Reading Text Captions in Youtube Videos

Does anyone know how to get Jaws to read text on the screen in YouTube
videos? I like to watch this guy's reviews, but he puts text on the
screen rather than speaking, and all you hear is silence in between
the clips he reviews. I tried to turn on closed captions/subtitles,
but it only read the part I could already hear, very slowly, and
didn't do anything with the text. The link to one of his videos is
here. I do have to warn you, though, that this is a review of British
PSA's, and they are pretty creepy, so if you get disturbed easily you
might not want to watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaUVFGpjTUM
Thanks in advance for your help.

.

I use the latest version of Internet Explorer.

On 9/9/16, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:
I don't know if I will be able to help, but what browser are you

Does anyone know how to get Jaws to read text on the screen in YouTube
videos? I like to watch this guy's reviews, but he puts text on the
screen rather than speaking, and all you hear is silence in between
the clips he reviews. I tried to turn on closed captions/subtitles,
but it only read the part I could already hear, very slowly, and
didn't do anything with the text. The link to one of his videos is
here. I do have to warn you, though, that this is a review of British
PSA's, and they are pretty creepy, so if you get disturbed easily you
might not want to watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaUVFGpjTUM
Thanks in advance for your help.

.

Mario

a shot in the dark, but have you tried Firefox or Google Chrome? another
browser might prove to access something that IE has a problem with.

[...]

I used to use Chrome but I hated it. I don't think it read these
videos correctly either. The browser is displaying the text, but it
is just not being read by Jaws. I showed the vid to a sighted friend,
and she said that you can see the text, but it isn't really like
subtitles. It is actually the video. The writing is showing up where
the action would take place if there is any. Were you able to get
Jaws to read the text? I have also tried using Jaws's OCR feature,
and that was one big hot mess. It scrambled the rest of what was
written on the web page and didn't touch the video.

On 9/10/16, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

James Homuth

If the text you're trying to get JAWS to read is part of the video itself,
that's not going to happen. There's not a screenreader in existence that'll
do that. It's not the same as trying to read the text of an image.

[...]

Oh bummer. That is exactly what it is.