From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Sunday, October 7, 2018 3:55 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws check for updates

When I open the Jaws 2018 or 2019 beta ui and go to help then check for

updates Jaws presents a dialog that jaws will not read until you do a

couple of alt tabs to get focus on the dialog box.  Why doesn't Jaws

automatically read dialog boxes it creates?

Soronel Haetir

I just tried this with jaws 2019 beta 2 and after the UIA confirmation
window (nothing they can do about that one) the up to date message box
was focused.

Hi Don,

I just tried this and while I currently have no updates I did have to press
Alt+Tab to get to the dialogue with the message I was up to date and the OK
button.

I suggest you provide this feedback to Freedom Scientific, it could be more
a result of how Windows 10 does things, but it certainly won't hurt for them
to take a look at it and, if it is a bug they can do something about then
hopefully it will be fixed in a future update. I am on the Jaws beta list
and will provide this feedback as well, but you should as well via the JAWS
for Windows Beta Report
Form<https://www.freedomscientific.com/Forms/JAWSBetaReport>, clicking on
this link takes you straight there.

Regards,

Sieghard

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

I don't know why it focuses for you but not for me and Don, I just tried again while focus was on the desktop, I pressed Jaws Key+J, arrowed up to Help and then expanded it and arrowed to Check for Updates. After pressing enter it took a few seconds and I heard a ding, my focus remained on the desktop and when I pressed Alt+Tab the OK button of the Jaws update dialogue gained focus:

JAWS Updates dialog
You already have the latest JAWS version installed.
OK Button

Regards,
Sieghard

When I open the Jaws 2018 or 2019 beta ui and go to help then check for

updates Jaws presents a dialog that jaws will not read until you do a

couple of alt tabs to get focus on the dialog box. Why doesn't Jaws

automatically read dialog boxes it creates?

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

Hrmmm, I tried it with the desktop focused and did have to alt+tab,
then tried it again with Firefox focused (which was the case last
night when I tried this) and did not.

[...]

Joseph Norton

I listers:

This is not new for me.

For a long time, through several versions of JAWS, I’ve always needed to alt-tab into the update dialog after selecting “check for updates”

I’ve not worried about it too much, since I figured FS were aware of it and would fix it if they could.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

Soronel Haetir

soronel.haetir@...