Installing windows10

Nino Dagostino

Hello:

How do I create a boot disk so I can install windows10?

I downloaded the media creation tool but it wants to install windows10 right away .

I want to boot off my cdrom.

I cant get usb disks to boot from this computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

When I download the Media Creation Tool and then run the executable I get a message like “Getting a few things read”, then after a bit it comes up with the software license agreement which of course you have to agree to. Then it again says “Getting a few things ready” and then after another 10 or 20 seconds I am presented with the following options:

What do you want to do?

Upgrade this PC now radio button checked  1 of 2

Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC radio button checked 2 of 2

Back Button Alt+B

Next Button alt+N

By default you land on “Upgrade this PC Now”, but if you down arrow you get to the other radio button, then just press Alt+N for Next and you will be asked what media you want to use, e.g. a USB Drive, make an ISO file or make a DVD. I haven’t had a DVD drive on a computer for years but I assume that if you do and you have a writeable DVD in it then you can select this drive and it wil then download Windows 10 and create the DVD.

Regards,

Sieghard

How do I create a boot disk so I can install windows10?

I downloaded the media creation tool but it wants to install windows10 right away .

I want to boot off my cdrom.

I cant get usb disks to boot from this computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sieghard,

          Just FYI, in reality the two options with regard to not upgrading this machine now are having the MCT directly create a bootable USB drive, or downloading the ISO.  If you want the ISO on optical media you have to use a burning utility to transfer the image file to DVD.  That, or you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB.  There is no "direct to DVD" option.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Mario

anybody who knows, instead of a DVD, can a bootable USB thumb drive be
created by burning the ISO using any burning program?

          Just FYI, in reality the two options with regard to not
upgrading this machine now are having the MCT directly create a bootable
USB drive, or downloading the ISO.  If you want the ISO on optical media
you have to use a burning utility to transfer the image file to DVD.
That, or you can use Rufus to create a bootable USB.  There is no
"direct to DVD" option.

/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
for illusion is deep./

          ~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/

I am pretty sure Rufus can do this, but then again if you use the Media Creation Tool it can also do it.

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 03:28 PM, Mario wrote:
can a bootable USB thumb drive be created by burning the ISO using any burning program?
Yes, and I use Rufus to create these routinely.  I prefer to download the ISO and keep it in case I want a second (or Nth) bootable USB drive.

Lots of folks prefer to allow the Media Creation Tool to create the bootable USB media.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back