Topics

Google Drive/Docs

Natalia Voegele

Hi all,

     I was wondering if someone could help me with Google drive/Docs? I have listened to the FS podcasts on the subject and have a student which I need to teach these to. He reads a lot of documents using these for school. I have a hard time getting some of the commands to work and don’t know if it’s something I’m doing incorrectly, if it’s Google Drive/Docs, or a combination of both. I’ve called FS for help and I seemed to know more about Google drive/Docs than the representative I spoke to, did.

Thank you,

Natalia

Natalia,

        Are you/is he trying to access Google Drive through its native web interface or have you considered installing the Google Drive application on his computer.  This creates a folder that synchronizes with your personal Google Drive and you can use the standard JAWS commands just like you normally do in Windows Explorer/File Explorer to access your files on Google Drive.

        If you drag and drop a file into the Google Drive folder that was created it will be uploaded to Google Drive.  If you delete one, it will be deleted.  If you edit the file, the latest version will be synced to the drive after you're done.

Brian

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Natalia

I do not use Google Drive, but I see that there has not been any responses to your request; what are your particular issues with the program, please?

Cheers Kevin.

     I was wondering if someone could help me with Google drive/Docs? I have listened to the FS podcasts on the subject and have a student which I need to teach these to. He reads a lot of documents using these for school. I have a hard time getting some of the commands to work and don’t know if it’s something I’m doing incorrectly, if it’s Google Drive/Docs, or a combination of both. I’ve called FS for help and I seemed to know more about Google drive/Docs than the representative I spoke to, did.

Thank you,

Natalia

David Moore

Hi,
I use Google drive and Google docs all of the time. I can answer any question you have. Remember, you must be in focus mode with NVDA and with JAWS, the virtual cursor must be turned off in order to use the built in key commands for Google. Have a great one.

Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: Google Drive/Docs

Hello Natalia

I do not use Google Drive, but I see that there has not been any responses to your request; what are your particular issues with the program, please?

Cheers Kevin.

     I was wondering if someone could help me with Google drive/Docs? I have listened to the FS podcasts on the subject and have a student which I need to teach these to. He reads a lot of documents using these for school. I have a hard time getting some of the commands to work and don’t know if it’s something I’m doing incorrectly, if it’s Google Drive/Docs, or a combination of both. I’ve called FS for help and I seemed to know more about Google drive/Docs than the representative I spoke to, did.

Thank you,

Natalia

David,

          For my edification, what is "focus mode," exactly?   I don't think I've ever heard that term used and I have no idea what that means.  Of course, I had no idea what Forms Mode meant, either, since it's been in "On by Default" mode in all the versions of JAWS I've touched over the last several years, but actually knew how to use it thinking what I was doing was using the Quick Navigation Keys (since a great many overlap).

          Thanks in advance.

Brian

David Moore

Hi Brian,
Thanks for getting back with me. If your using JAWS on an HTML page, The virtual cursor is on. When you are reading the page and using the navigation commands, you are in what is called brows mode. When you are in an edit field, you have to go into forms mode. With NVDA, there are corresponding terms. With NVDA, when you are reading the page, you are in navigation mode. When you are in an edit field, you have to go to Focus mode. Each screen reader uses. different terminology. So, again, Forms mode in JAWS equals focus mode in NVDA screen reader. Brows mode in JAWS equals navigation mode with NVDA screen reader. If you only use JAWS, you do not have to worry about the NVDA terminology. I would suggest listening to the two Freedomscientific webinars over and over and do everything he is doing in the webinar. If you are using JAWS, you need to turn off the virtual cursor by pressing JAWS key + X. That is the most important step in using Google drive and docs with JAWS. The reason why JAWS can allow you to use the navigation commands like H for heading, is because you have the virtual cursor turned on. In Google drive and docs, you have to turn that virtual cursor off, so you can use the commands that are in Google instead of the JAWS commands. For example, when you are in Google drive, and you press JAWS key + X to turn off virtual cursor, then you can press C to get to the toolbar in Google docs. You can press the command GN to get the list of files in Google drive. You have to learn all knew navigation commands that are just in Google. Again, to use these commands that are just in Google, with JAWS, you have to turn off the virtual cursor by pressing JAWS key + X. When you are done, to turn it back on, just press JAWS key + X again. It is a toggle. Now, with NVDA, to use the Google commands, press insert + space bar to go into focus mode. Then, you can use the commands like GN to go to the list of files as well. Just like JAWS, just press insert + space bar to turn focus mode back off. I hope this makes more since. The biggest job is to learn the knew commands that are just for Google docs and Google drive. These two webinars have documentation that you can download as web pages. While you are listening to the MP3 webinars, read along with the screen reader the documentation. You will have to read the documentation a few times to memorize the Google commands. Have a great one.

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:20 PM

David,

          For my edification, what is "focus mode," exactly?   I don't think I've ever heard that term used and I have no idea what that means.  Of course, I had no idea what Forms Mode meant, either, since it's been in "On by Default" mode in all the versions of JAWS I've touched over the last several years, but actually knew how to use it thinking what I was doing was using the Quick Navigation Keys (since a great many overlap).

          Thanks in advance.

Brian

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Brian & David,

In Jaws the keystroke for toggling the virtual cursor on / off is, Insert / Jaws Key + Z, not Insert / Jaws Key + X.  The keystroke, Insert / Jaws Key + X, says the text in the frame where the cursor is located.  HTH
Take care.
Mike

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:20 PM

David,

          For my edification, what is "focus mode," exactly?   I don't think I've ever heard that term used and I have no idea what that means.  Of course, I had no idea what Forms Mode meant, either, since it's been in "On by Default" mode in all the versions of JAWS I've touched over the last several years, but actually knew how to use it thinking what I was doing was using the Quick Navigation Keys (since a great many overlap).

          Thanks in advance.

Brian

Mike & David,

          Thanks for the follow-ups.

          It's interesting to encounter a confusion on terminology because of switching between products.  I always try, no matter what product I'm tutoring on, to stick exclusively to the terminology they use in their documentation for object X.   It took me forever to call what all the rest of the world, including most web programmers, call a text box an edit field.  I also get that different products use different terms for "the same things."

          Back to the subject at hand, I've never received an answer to my earlier questions regarding whether or not anyone has tried using Google Drive for Desktop, which is available for Windows or Mac, and can be downloaded from this Drive webpage?  I actually quite love it, because it creates what appears to be a regular folder named Google Drive on your desktop and in Windows Explorer/File Explorer.  You can just drag and drop files to and from this folder and it uploads, downloads, deletes, what have you those actions are actually synchronized to your Google Drive in the cloud.  You can create folders within it, too.  It's ultra convenient, if nothing else.  It's not of much use, though, if you want to access your Google Drive on a machine that's not your own, and you would still need to be able to navigate the Google Drive webpage then.

Brian

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Brian,

I'm going to tell you real quick that no I don't use this program / service or whatever it's proper label is but, just so you know, drag & drop does not work worth a damn in Jaws!  LOL  LOL
Take care.
Mike

[...]

Nermin

Hi Brian,

focus mode is just a different term used for what JAWS would call forms mode. Every screen reader has slightly differing naming conventions. So, for example, NVDA calls the virtual cursor mode, i.e. the mode for reading a webpage, browse mode, and does not refer to forms mode as such, but calls that one focus mode instead.

Regards,
Nermin

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 7:20 PM

David,

          For my edification, what is "focus mode," exactly?   I don't think I've ever heard that term used and I have no idea what that means.  Of course, I had no idea what Forms Mode meant, either, since it's been in "On by Default" mode in all the versions of JAWS I've touched over the last several years, but actually knew how to use it thinking what I was doing was using the Quick Navigation Keys (since a great many overlap).

          Thanks in advance.

Brian

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I love google drive and use it more vs dropbox. Why? Not sure lol.  The only thing I can’t seem to master is sharing a folder.  I can do it but it takes a minute for me to get it done.

[...]

Yes, I use Google Drive and docs a lot. It is very accessible. You just have to learn the key commands for Google drive and docs. I can send the commands to you if you want. Freedom Scientific did two great webinars on Google drive and docs, If you go to their training page, you can download two great webinars in mp3 audio and the documentation. All of the key commands and all instructions are in those two webinars. Have a great New Year, Brian.

[...]

Elise Berkley

Hello, Brian.  My aname is Elise and I was wondering if you could send me the list of keystrokes for google docs.  One of my professors used google docs last semester and nothing was accessible to me.  He had to email me articles that he had put into a google doc with a calendar because, when I clicked on the link, it did nt work.  This would greatly help me in case one of my other instructors uses this.  Thank you so much.
Elise Berkley

Edited

Elise,

          This thread, like several others, somehow got split into two separate ones.  Here is the direct link to the "other branch of this conversation" on the Groups.io website, JFW Group, where I give a link to Google's Help Page for keyboard shortcuts for Google Drive and another poster gives some key pieces of information about what you have to shut off in JAWS if you wish to be able to use them.

          By the way, I, personally, never even try to make changes to Google Drive documents from within the Google Docs interface.  I find it far, far easier to simply download the file and use its native Windows application to work with it.

Brian

Elise Berkley

Thank you so much.  You are a lifesaver.  Elise