Using Macrium Reflect Version 7 to Take A Full System Image Backup

There has been much discussion on several groups about an entirely accessible backup utility with regard to actually taking a full system image backup.  I have yet to find a backup and recovery utility that is 100% accessible in all respects, but Macrium Reflect, Version 7, is 100% accessible for creating a full system image backup for "the typical user" who keeps the typical disc arrangement under Windows where all OS files and user data files are on the C: drive.

Given what's been happening over the last several days with the Windows 10 Version 1809 feature update it is really critical to take a full system image backup before it is applied.

Here's the link to download the step-by-step instructions, along with notes about setting things up, in MS-Word format:

Using Macrium Reflect With a Screen Reader To Take a Full System Image Backup

You should be presented with a Save dialog shortly after activating the link. 

I went through this process from beginning to end using NVDA to control everything.  I cannot imagine that things should be different in JAWS and possibly even Narrator.  If there are any significant differences that you encounter please share them on this topic.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

David Bailes

Hi Brian,
thanks for the information. I had previously tried Macrium reflect using a standard user account, and found it to be inaccessible using screen readers. But having read your post, I tried it using an admin account, and found that it was accessible, as you've said.
I've used Macrium relect for quite a while, and it seems to have a good reputation.

David.

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 04:13 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
There has been much discussion on several groups about an entirely accessible backup utility with regard to actually taking a full system image backup.  I have yet to find a backup and recovery utility that is 100% accessible in all respects, but Macrium Reflect, Version 7, is 100% accessible for creating a full system image backup for "the typical user" who keeps the typical disc arrangement under Windows where all OS files and user data files are on the C: drive.

Given what's been happening over the last several days with the Windows 10 Version 1809 feature update it is really critical to take a full system image backup before it is applied.

Here's the link to download the step-by-step instructions, along with notes about setting things up, in MS-Word format:

Using Macrium Reflect With a Screen Reader To Take a Full System Image Backup

You should be presented with a Save dialog shortly after activating the link. 

I went through this process from beginning to end using NVDA to control everything.  I cannot imagine that things should be different in JAWS and possibly even Narrator.  If there are any significant differences that you encounter please share them on this topic.
--

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

I had forgotten that Steve Matzura posted a direct link to a download site for Windows PE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) versions that are set up to talk when they run using NVDA.   That site is:  http://www.opopanax.net/download/ 

I have not used any of these talking Windows PE ISOs, but I have no reason whatsoever to believe they would not work.  The correct one for your system could be downloaded on its own, and then you could just download the Macrium Reflect software without Windows PE.

You would still need to create the Macrium recovery media, which should then use the talking Windows PE to build it.
--

Now, for anyone wanting the latest version of the Macrium 7.1 installer, who doesn't want to have to dig through the steps at the website to eventually download it, I've put it on my Google Drive:  Macrium 7.1 Full Installer.

When you activate that link you'll probably get a blank browser tab, followed moments later by a save dialog that asks where you'd like to save the .exe file.
--

Gudrun Brunot

Bless you, Brian.

Gudrun

Please note my new email of brunotgudrun@gmail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2018 10:18 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Using Macrium Reflect Version 7 to Take A Full System Image Backup

Now, for anyone wanting the latest version of the Macrium 7.1 installer, who doesn't want to have to dig through the steps at the website to eventually download it, I've put it on my Google Drive: Macrium 7.1 Full Installer <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1ZyAnnQdVZg766iRVVUW_x54iYf2M2xuu> .

When you activate that link you'll probably get a blank browser tab, followed moments later by a save dialog that asks where you'd like to save the .exe file.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Jonas Voll

Yep, the versions

On that site work good, I can use the windows 7 pe to install windows 10, the important item is use the 32 or 64 bit!!!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration and opportunity for people who are blind or visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

Sent: Saturday, October 6, 2018 11:14 PM

I had forgotten that Steve Matzura posted a direct link to a download site for Windows PE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) versions that are set up to talk when they run using NVDA.   That site is:  http://www.opopanax.net/download/ 

I have not used any of these talking Windows PE ISOs, but I have no reason whatsoever to believe they would not work.  The correct one for your system could be downloaded on its own, and then you could just download the Macrium Reflect software without Windows PE.

You would still need to create the Macrium recovery media, which should then use the talking Windows PE to build it.
--

SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com 
and 
logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 
'spam@...'

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

James Malone

Hi Brian, how does this work?
Thanks for the download.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gudrun Brunot
Sent: Sunday, October 7, 2018 3:59 PM

Bless you, Brian.

Gudrun

Now, for anyone wanting the latest version of the Macrium 7.1 installer, who doesn't want to have to dig through the steps at the website to eventually download it, I've put it on my Google Drive: Macrium 7.1 Full Installer <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1ZyAnnQdVZg766iRVVUW_x54iYf2M2xuu> .

--

James Malone

Hi Brian, figured it out.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of James Malone
Sent: Sunday, October 7, 2018 9:12 PM

Thanks for the download.

Bless you, Brian.

Gudrun

--

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

Hi, what is this and how much does it cost please?

Sent: 08 October 2018 22:54

Hi Brian, figured it out.

Sent: Sunday, October 7, 2018 9:12 PM

Thanks for the download.

Bless you, Brian.

Gudrun

--

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Steven, this is Macrium Reflect Free, Version 7, and it's a backup and restore utility, and a very well known and respected one.
--

It has been brought to my attention that one, and only one, dialog during the installation of Macrium Reflect, Version 7, has accessibility issues unless you use one of the various screen readers' alternate cursor methods.  Two members of the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group have been kind enough to put together instructions for dealing with this dialog in each of the three major screen readers:  JAWS, Narrator, and NVDA.

Dealing with the License Key Dialog of Macrium Reflect, Version 7, with a Screen Reader

JAWS
, from David Bailes:

JAWS users can use either the Jaws cursor, or the touch cursor, which is the Jaws equivalent of object navigation.
Using the touch cursor:
1. Starting with the next button being the focus.
2. Switch to using the touch cursor (shift + numpad plus, using the desktop layout).
3. Press either left arrow twice or shift+tab twice to move to the home radio button.
4. Press spacebar or enter to select the radio button, and move the focus to it.
5. Switch back to the pc cursor (numpad plus twice quickly, using the desktop layout).
6. Tab to the next button and press it.

Narrator
and NVDA, by Timothy Wynn:

Both sets of instructions presume you are in the License Key dialog with focus on the Next button

Narrator
:
1) Enable Narrator if not already running.
2) Use Narrator+Left-arrow to move to the previous item. Narrator will say "non-selected, Commercial, radio-button".
3) Use Narrator+Left-arrow to move to the previous item once more. Narrator will say "non-selected, Home, radio-button".
4) Use Narrator+Enter to do the primary action. On Windows 10 Version 1709, there is no response heard when performing this action, but use the next item (Narrator+Right-arrow) and previous item (Narrator+Left-arrow) commands to confirm. Narrator will say non-selected, Commercial, radio-button", followed by "selected, Home, radio-button"".

NVDA:
1) Start NVDA if not already running.
2) Use the move to previous object command. NVDA will say "This is My Group button".
3) Use the move to first contained object command. NVDA will say "Home radio button not checked".
4) Use the activate current navigator object command. NVDA will say "Check", followed by "This is My Group button", and finally "Home radio button checked".
5) Tab to and activate the Next button, and you should now be on the Registration screen.

--

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) <steven.hicks@...>

Thanks, any idea where I can get it from please?

Sent: 09 October 2018 16:29

Steven, this is Macrium Reflect Free, Version 7, and it's a backup and restore utility, and a very well known and respected one.
--

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 02:34 PM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) wrote:
Already answered earlier in the posts:  https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/63815 (topic starter) and  https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/63824  

I even made it easier, so that one does not have to drill down through a couple of layers at https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree 

--

Jessica D <jldail13@...>

Hi,
I'm on the macrium website, as I type, and don't see a download link. 
Where can I get this software from? 

I've never heard of it, until now. 

Thanks,
Jessica

On Oct 10, 2018, at 7:24 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 02:34 PM, Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) wrote:
Already answered earlier in the posts:  https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/63815 (topic starter) and  https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/63824  

I even made it easier, so that one does not have to drill down through a couple of layers at https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree 

--

R&J

From the Macrium home page click on "Home users".  This will bring up a menu on which you key your e-mail address and click SUBMIT.  The e-mail will contain a link to begin the download.

I recently discovered this program and it works great.  Pay strict attention to the instructions for creating a rescue disk or USB drive.  Depending upon how your computer boots, you will have to format the rescue media either in NTFS or FAT32 format.  And if your computer is relatively new, the FAT32 format is required and you cannot put files on it that are larger than 4 GB.  Thus, when you install the software, go through the options and set the maximum backup file size to 4 GB rather than the default of automatic.

Ron Kaplan

By the way, it is possible to install Macrium Reflect using the command line if you download the command line installer.

See:  https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Installing+Macrium+Reflect+from+the+command+line 

I have asked them a follow-up question regarding whether the LICKEY parameter is needed for Macrium Reflect Free and will post their response once I get it.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's Make a Deal.

~ Fran Lebowitz