Can the Windows 10 update message be turned off?

Tim Ford

A friend of mine has this issue, and I am posting the question on his behalf.  He has a Windows 7 machine, running JAWS 16 or 17.  He is irritated by some sort of Microsoft message that keeps offering to update him to Windows 10, which he does not want to do.  Is there a way to stop these nuisance messages?
Tim Ford

ratshtron <northstar1950@...>

he can go to the run command and type in:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583

re-boot the system.
this will uninstall the update and then when the update comes back he will need to hide the update and not install it.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 12/15/2015 10:31 PM, Tim Ford said:
A friend of mine has this issue, and I am posting the question on his behalf. He has a Windows 7 machine, running JAWS 16 or 17. He is irritated by some sort of Microsoft message that keeps offering to update him to Windows 10, which he does not want to do. Is there a way to stop these nuisance messages?
Tim Ford

cecropia64

Thanks for this. I just uninstalled it and am very greatful to you for this info.
Thanks again.

On 12/15/2015 11:34 PM, ratshtron wrote:
he can go to the run command and type in:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583

re-boot the system.
this will uninstall the update and then when the update comes back he will need to hide the update and not install it.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 12/15/2015 10:31 PM, Tim Ford said:
A friend of mine has this issue, and I am posting the question on his behalf. He has a Windows 7 machine, running JAWS 16 or 17. He is irritated by some sort of Microsoft message that keeps offering to update him to Windows 10, which he does not want to do. Is there a way to stop these nuisance messages?
Tim Ford

Tim Ford

Great! One follow-up question please. I am not familiar with how to hide the update file. Can you describe the steps for that?

he can go to the run command and type in:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583

re-boot the system.
this will uninstall the update and then when the update comes back he
will need to hide the update and not install it.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 12/15/2015 10:31 PM, Tim Ford said:
A friend of mine has this issue, and I am posting the question on his behalf. He has a Windows 7 machine, running JAWS 16 or 17. He is irritated by some sort of Microsoft message that keeps offering to update him to Windows 10, which he does not want to do. Is there a way to stop these nuisance messages?
Tim Ford

ratshtron <northstar1950@...>

updates need to be set to download but let me install them that way when they are downloaded you should have a new updates in the task tray that you can click on and then you tab over to important updates and you press enter on that to bring up the list of downloaded updates. down arrow through the list till you find the kb:3035583 update and right mouse click on it. you should then down arrow down to hide update and you also uncheck the update with the spacebar before you right click on it. you can then tab to the ok button and press enter on the install button if there's other updates to install.

-----Original Message----- From: ratshtron
Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:34 PM
To: jfw@groups.io

he can go to the run command and type in:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583

re-boot the system.
this will uninstall the update and then when the update comes back he
will need to hide the update and not install it.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 12/15/2015 10:31 PM, Tim Ford said:
A friend of mine has this issue, and I am posting the question on his behalf. He has a Windows 7 machine, running JAWS 16 or 17. He is irritated by some sort of Microsoft message that keeps offering to update him to Windows 10, which he does not want to do. Is there a way to stop these nuisance messages?
Tim Ford

ratshtron <northstar1950@...>

you are quite welcome. when the update comes back, be sure to unceck and hide the update.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 12/15/2015 10:49 PM, cecropia64 said:
Thanks for this. I just uninstalled it and am very greatful to you for this info.
Thanks again.

On 12/15/2015 11:34 PM, ratshtron wrote:
he can go to the run command and type in:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583

re-boot the system.
this will uninstall the update and then when the update comes back he will need to hide the update and not install it.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 12/15/2015 10:31 PM, Tim Ford said:
A friend of mine has this issue, and I am posting the question on his behalf. He has a Windows 7 machine, running JAWS 16 or 17. He is irritated by some sort of Microsoft message that keeps offering to update him to Windows 10, which he does not want to do. Is there a way to stop these nuisance messages?
Tim Ford

Tim Ford

One more question, hopefully the last! Just to make sure, he does not have Windows 10 installed, he just wants to stop those invasive popup messages that JAWS reads, asking him to update from Windows 7 to 10. Are your instructions still appropriate?

Tim Ford

Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:34 PM
To: jfw@groups.io

he can go to the run command and type in:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:3035583

re-boot the system.
this will uninstall the update and then when the update comes back he
will need to hide the update and not install it.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 12/15/2015 10:31 PM, Tim Ford said:
A friend of mine has this issue, and I am posting the question on his behalf. He has a Windows 7 machine, running JAWS 16 or 17. He is irritated by some sort of Microsoft message that keeps offering to update him to Windows 10, which he does not want to do. Is there a way to stop these nuisance messages?
Tim Ford

Microsoft keeps releasing updated versions of the Windows Updates that install GWX (Get Windows Ten [X]) and you have to be eternally vigilant with regard to Windows Updates if you're going to try to keep GWX from installing.

A far easier option, and one that "the geek world" is loving, is GWX Control Panel, available on the developer's webpage here.  He has been quite diligent in paying attention to which Windows Updates are trying to install GWX as time goes by and either blocking those if they're not yet installed or removing any GWX material from those that have.

I recommend this highly as an ongoing solution until Microsoft ends the free upgrade period (with attendant nags) on July 31, 2016.

Brian

cecropia64

Thanks for that heads-up.

Stew

On 12/17/2015 12:19 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Microsoft keeps releasing updated versions of the Windows Updates that install GWX (Get Windows Ten [X]) and you have to be eternally vigilant with regard to Windows Updates if you're going to try to keep GWX from installing.

A far easier option, and one that "the geek world" is loving, is GWX Control Panel, available on the developer's webpage here.  He has been quite diligent in paying attention to which Windows Updates are trying to install GWX as time goes by and either blocking those if they're not yet installed or removing any GWX material from those that have.

I recommend this highly as an ongoing solution until Microsoft ends the free upgrade period (with attendant nags) on July 31, 2016.

Brian

Peter Donahue

Good afternoon everyone,

If this helps and you have a sighted person that can do this for you there seems to be a checkbox that if activated with a mouse stops the Windows 10 Upgrade message from appearing. We had some friends of ours here last night. One of them saw this notification and was able to stop it by clicking it with the mouse. So far it has not reappeared at least for now. Let's hope it stays that way. Otherwise we'll need to install the GWX tool mentioned in previous messages. As far as we're concerned this is spam and Microsoft needs to be called out for it. It's one more reason why I'm seriously considering switching to a Mac desktop. I need to buy a new desktop next year and the Mac is high on my list for consideration.

Peter Donahue

A far easier option, and one that "the geek world" is loving, is GWX Control Panel, available on the developer's webpage here <http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/>. He has been quite diligent in paying attention to which Windows Updates are trying to install GWX as time goes by and either blocking those if they're not yet installed or removing any GWX material from those that have.

I recommend this highly as an ongoing solution until Microsoft ends the free upgrade period (with attendant nags) on July 31, 2016.

Brian

HAMILTON

Could this checkbox, that appears with the "get Windows 10" dialogue, be discovered using the Convenient OCR feature? For those of us do not have sighted help, that would be great to know!

brian albriton

Here’s a link to an article on doing this.

You can turn off the message, uninstall the update to get windows ten, and finally, hide it from future updates.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-disable-get-windows-10-icon-and-notifications