JAWS 2018 & the Signature Dialog in Outlook

I am encountering the following problem on a Windows 7 machine running JAWS 2018 and Outlook 2013.

If you get to the Signature dialog,

                ALT+F, T, get to the Mail entry in the Options Dialog, then Tab to the Signatures button

then navigate to the edit box for the signature itself JAWS will not read the content.  If I go letter by letter it's an endless litany of "blank," and hitting INS+Down Arrow to make it read the whole signature text gives absolutely nada.  If you tab around to the other controls in the dialog the various buttons, etc., are correctly announced.

Is anyone else able to replicate this for JAWS 2018 and Outlook 2010, 2013, & 2016 - whether on a Windows 7 or Windows 10 machine?

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Richard Turner

I just checked with Jaws 2018 and 2019 beta, on Windows 10 Home 64 bit running the latest Windows 10.1809.

Signatures read fine with both.

Richard

I am encountering the following problem on a Windows 7 machine running JAWS 2018 and Outlook 2013.

If you get to the Signature dialog,

                ALT+F, T, get to the Mail entry in the Options Dialog, then Tab to the Signatures button

then navigate to the edit box for the signature itself JAWS will not read the content.  If I go letter by letter it's an endless litany of "blank," and hitting INS+Down Arrow to make it read the whole signature text gives absolutely nada.  If you tab around to the other controls in the dialog the various buttons, etc., are correctly announced.

Is anyone else able to replicate this for JAWS 2018 and Outlook 2010, 2013, & 2016 - whether on a Windows 7 or Windows 10 machine?

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Cristóbal

Same here with 2018. In fact, I had to go in and change a signature and had no issues other than all the tabbing.

Cristóbal

[...]

           Thanks.  If it's not happening for anyone else (and I await additional data points with bated breath) then there's probably some weird corruption on this specific machine.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Steve Matzura

Why would you automatically think that? Nobody who answered your question has the configuration you do. I suspect it's a JAWS 16 issue.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 04:00 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:
Why would you automatically think that? Nobody who answered your question has the configuration you do. I suspect it's a JAWS 16 issue.
Because, if I were to have a string of, say, 20 people here all telling me this isn't happening for them under JAWS 2018 and various versions of Outlook the logical conclusion is that it is an idiosyncratic error.  They happen all the time.

The biggest mistake people make, and it is made all the time, is believing that an issue that they're having simply must be a software bug that everyone's having.  While that's sometimes true, it's often not.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Richard Turner

Brian,

Are you using Jaws 16?

Have you tried the beta of 2019?  Or, even the demo mode of 2018?

If the newer Jaws versions solve the problem, then it sounds like a compatibility issue with Jaws 16 and not something specific to your machine.

On the other hand, if the newer Jaws do not solve it, then perhaps it is one of those fun issues that are almost impossible to track down.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Richard

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 04:00 AM, Steve Matzura wrote:

Why would you automatically think that? Nobody who answered your question has the configuration you do. I suspect it's a JAWS 16 issue.

Because, if I were to have a string of, say, 20 people here all telling me this isn't happening for them under JAWS 2018 and various versions of Outlook the logical conclusion is that it is an idiosyncratic error.  They happen all the time.

The biggest mistake people make, and it is made all the time, is believing that an issue that they're having simply must be a software bug that everyone's having.  While that's sometimes true, it's often not.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 10:05 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
Are you using Jaws 16?
No, I am not.  My subject says, clearly, JAWS 2018, as did the text of my original message and all follow ups by me.  Someone else introduced JAWS 16 into the mix and it is utterly irrelevant in this situation.

Both machines have fully licensed and activated versions of JAWS 2018 on them.  One is a Windows 7 box with Office 2013, the other a Windows 10 box with Office 2010.  Both have exactly the same issue with the signature edit box and with not announcing the shortcut key(s) for controls in the lower ribbon as you traverse it.

The latter is particularly maddening as there is no way for my students to learn what those shortcut keys are as things stand when they're rooting around in ribbons for a control they had not previously used much or at all but that they are now wanting to use frequently and want to access directly.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Hi Brian,

Ask the person who has the problem to tab once past the edit box with the signature and then shift+tab back and see if that helps. Also, are you watching as he or she does this? Some people may thing the information is not there but they have to tab past all the stuff first like the font, bolt, underline and all that, the last thing before the actual edit field is “Hyperlink”.

[...]

Sieghard,

            I am present when this is occurring and it is occurring even when I try it.  We're definitely in the signature edit box.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back