From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 9:12 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Accessible Business Management Software

Hi, it's Annabelle.

I know this might sound complicated, but I'm wondering, do any of you JAWS members out there know if there's a software that works with JAWS, with which I can manage customer accounts? When I start my company making products and services that are accessible for people of all abilities, I want to be able to have an accessible software for managing customers' information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, order numbers, and receipts, for when they want to purchase a product or service from my company. I guess you could say I'm thinking of a software for management of customers' orders. Are there any good business management softwares out there that work well with JAWS?

Annabelle Susan Morison

Is QuickBooks good at managing information that is otherwise confidential? In other words, things like credit card numbers? Like what computers do when they mask a password with circle characters?

I know this might sound complicated, but I'm wondering, do any of you JAWS members out there know if there's a software that works with JAWS, with which I can manage customer accounts? When I start my company making products and services that are accessible for people of all abilities, I want to be able to have an accessible software for managing customers' information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, order numbers, and receipts, for when they want to purchase a product or service from my company. I guess you could say I'm thinking of a software for management of customers' orders. Are there any good business management softwares out there that work well with JAWS?

John Covici

Don't store credit card numbers on your computer!! If you do, you
will have to be pci compliant and that is a pain in the neck. Use a
processing service instead, like stripe.com -- for a low volume
operation this is quite nice.

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know this might sound complicated, but I'm wondering, do any of you JAWS members out there know if there's a software that works with JAWS, with which I can manage customer accounts? When I start my company making products and services
that are accessible for people of all abilities, I want to be able to have an accessible software for managing customers' information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, order numbers, and receipts, for when they want to
purchase a product or service from my company. I guess you could say I'm thinking of a software for management of customers' orders. Are there any good business management softwares out there that work well with JAWS?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

HH. Smith Jr.

Don't store credit card numbers on your computer!! If you do, you will have
to be pci compliant and that is a pain in the neck. Use a processing
service instead, like stripe.com -- for a low volume operation this is quite
nice.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 21:55:14 -0400,
Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Is QuickBooks good at

---------------------------
I know this might sound complicated, but I'm wondering, do any of you
JAWS members out there know if there's a software that works with
JAWS, with which I can manage customer accounts? When I start my company
making products and services that are accessible for people of all
abilities, I want to be able to have an accessible software for managing
customers' information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, order
numbers, and receipts, for when they want to purchase a product or service
from my company. I guess you could say I'm thinking of a software for
management of customers' orders. Are there any good business management
softwares out there that work well with JAWS?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Annabelle Susan Morison

PCI compliant? I'm confused! Low-volume? I'm not sure what you mean. I do
know, however, that my company will be privately owned, and I will be
establishing it in my home.

I know this might sound complicated, but I'm wondering, do any of you
JAWS members out there know if there's a software that works with
JAWS, with which I can manage customer accounts? When I start my company
making products and services that are accessible for people of all
abilities, I want to be able to have an accessible software for managing
customers' information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, order
numbers, and receipts, for when they want to purchase a product or service
from my company. I guess you could say I'm thinking of a software for
management of customers' orders. Are there any good business management
softwares out there that work well with JAWS?

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Annabelle Susan Morison

I couldn't click on the link. Was it turned off? Also, does QuickBooks have
to be purchased? If so, how much does it cost?

[...]

The link was over two lines, so you will have to put them together.
The article explains better than I could, but you need to do some
research on this. Just don't store credit card numbers or the like.

On Wed, 03 Oct 2018 05:19:57 -0400,
[...]

.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Yes, Quickbooks is not free software and the scripts which you need for it to be accessible cost several hundred Dollars. No good solution for something like this will most likely be free.
There is also Quickbooks Online which is a subscription service. It is quite accessible at this point, apparently even more so on an iOS device and Quickbooks takes accessibility quite serious and they are working constantly on making the service work even better. Keep in mind, though, that Quickbooks is primarily an accounting package and while just as with any good accounting package you can track customers and suppliers, if you don't know at least some basics of accounting it maybe difficult to learn it and there will definitely be a good bit of learning involved and you might want to consider inquiring about Quickbooks courses.

Regards,
Sieghard

the link was broken. try this repaired one:

[...]

I wonder if there's a trial version out there, so I can sort of get a feel of
what it's like.

the link was broken. try this repaired one:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/technology-and-security/complete-guide-to-protecting-customer-data/

I couldn't click on the link. Was it turned off? Also, does QuickBooks have to
be purchased? If so, how much does it cost?

Don't store credit card numbers on your computer!! If you do, you will have
to be pci compliant and that is a pain in the neck. Use a processing service
instead, like stripe.com -- for a low volume operation this is quite nice.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 21:55:14 -0400,
Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Is QuickBooks good at managing
[...]

Cristóbal

Many moons ago, I recall a similar thread popping up regarding accounting software on an old list, Someone recommended Cash Manager: https://cashmanager.io/us/
Indeed, if I remember correctly a Cash Manager rep even popped up to explain that they take care to insure that their application is accessible. https://cashmanager.io/us/accessibility
I know Quickbooks has the name recognition and majority market share, but it can't hurt to try an alternative. After all, numbers are numbers and everything else to a degree is just noise.
I don't use the product since my wife handles the books, so I can't speak as to how accessible Cash Manager is or if they've maintained their commitment to accessibility, but there you go.
As Sieghard points out though, unless you have a foundation or some sort of knowledge in accounting, it really won't matter what you choose.

Cristóbal

the link was broken. try this repaired one:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/technology-and-security/complete-guide-to-protecting-customer-data/

I couldn't click on the link. Was it turned off? Also, does QuickBooks have to be purchased? If so, how much does it cost?

Don't store credit card numbers on your computer!! If you do, you will have to be pci compliant and that is a pain in the neck. Use a processing service instead, like stripe.com -- for a low volume operation this is quite nice.

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 21:55:14 -0400,
Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
[2 <text/html; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] Is QuickBooks good at managing information that is otherwise confidential? In other words, things like credit card numbers? Like what computers do when they mask a password with circle characters?

---------------------------
[...]

Paul Sandoval

QuickBooks Online does usually offer a 30 day trial.

On Oct 3, 2018, at 9:30 AM, Annabelle Susan Morison <foristnights@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

Hi,
I wanted to share another potential idea on this thread. I got an estimate via email yesterday from a local computer repair shop. He is using something called Fresh books. The email gave me a link to the estimate, which was easy to read with my iPhone, so likely with JAWS. I then clicked on a button at the bottom to accept the estimate to have them begin on the work. I was then prompted if I wanted to save the estimate within the site. From a customer perspective, it seemed really speech friendly. I cannot speak to the accessibility on the other end, but it's nice to have another option to consider. If it's a smaller company, maybe they would be easier to talk to about accessibility. There is a free trial period on the page link below.

Here is the tag line and link from the bottom of the email I got with my estimate.
Create invoices, track expenses and collaborate on projects with FreshBooks.
https://my.freshbooks.com/#/signup

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.