Topics

Making JAWS announce shortcut sequences

I could swear that JAWS once did this by default, but on one client's machine it is not any longer.

By "announce shortcut sequences" I mean that if, for instance, you hit the ALT key and focus is thrown to the upper ribbon you would get something like, "H, Home Ribbon," announced if that's where actual focus is and if you moved left or right with the arrow keys it would tell you what the "ALT+Letter" or just the letter itself is in order to throw focus to that ribbon immediately.

Then, if you descend to the lower ribbon and are navigating controls, it would announce the additional letter or letters to activate that control after having done the ALT+Letter appropriate to get you to the upper ribbon for the controls you're traversing.

When ALT is hit I am visually presented with every "next key" letter that could be pressed to make focus go to a given upper ribbon or control and that is hovering in a small square very near to the actual item that would get focus.  If I hit ALT+Letter to focus on a specific ribbon, the additional letter shortcuts are shown in the same way for every control within that ribbon.

I know that there is a way in JAWS to have these presented to the user, which is particularly helpful when they're new to a specific program or even a specific ribbon in a program that they had not previously used.

If anyone can tell me what setting I need to tweak to turn this on/off I'd appreciate it.  For anyone who also happens to be an NVDA user you can hear this behavior, which is on by default in NVDA, as you throw focus either to the upper ribbon via just ALT or to a specific ribbon as you traverse the controls.  I want to replicate that in JAWS.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Ann Byrne

In order for those key strokes to be spoken, you have to have 'access keys' set to all, whether you wanta hear them in other situations or not.

At 09:32 AM 10/2/2018, you wrote:
I could swear that JAWS once did this by default, but on one client's machine it is not any longer.By "announce shortcut sequences" I mean that if, for instance, you hit the ALT key and focus is thrown to the upper ribbon you would get something like, "H, Home Ribbon," announced if that's where actual focus is and if you moved left or right with the arrow keys it would tell you what the "ALT+Letter" or just the letter itself is in order to throw focus to that ribbon immediately.Then, if you descend to the lower ribbon and are navigating controls, it would announce the additional letter or letters to activate that control after having done the ALT+Letter appropriate to get you to the upper ribbon for the controls you're traversing.When ALT is hit I am visually presented with every "next key" letter that could be pressed to make focus go to a given upper ribbon or control and that is hovering in a small square very near to the actual item that would get focus. If I hit ALT+Letter to focus on a specific ribbon, the additional letter shortcuts are shown in the same way for every control within that ribbon.I know that there is a way in JAWS to have these presented to the user, which is particularly helpful when they're new to a specific program or even a specific ribbon in a program that they had not previously used.If anyone can tell me what setting I need to tweak to turn this on/off I'd appreciate it. For anyone who also happens to be an NVDA user you can hear this behavior, which is on by default in NVDA, as you throw focus either to the upper ribbon via just ALT or to a specific ribbon as you traverse the controls. I want to replicate that in JAWS.--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 Â

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

Thanks Ann.  I'll find that setting tomorrow and tweak it.
--

Mario

it's in basic options (JAWS, options, basics).

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Tuesday, Oct 2, 2018 11:04 AM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Making JAWS announce shortcut sequences

Thanks Ann.  I'll find that setting tomorrow and tweak it.
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need
for illusion is deep./

~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/

Mario,

Thanks for the location specifics.  JAWS settings (any screen reader settings) are a real swamp, but they are so by necessity.  A screen reader has to be uber customizable.
--

Everyone can ignore this reply.  I'm doing filter testing with Google and want to pass this through a pre-existing one.
--

Ann Byrne

The easy way to get to most of the most relevant JAWS commands is to jump to the start up wizzard with alt+h, then z. The goodies are there in a bunch, regardless of where they live in the menus.

At 01:23 PM 10/2/2018, you wrote:
Everyone can ignore this reply. I'm doing filter testing with Google and want to pass this through a pre-existing one.--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 Â

Update:  Sadly, tweaking the access keys settings to all didn't change a thing.

I know darned well that at one time when you traversed the ribbon the "end of shortcut" sequence for the control on which you've landed was announced.  I rely on that as far as a student's ability to keep adding to their own "greatest hits" list as they find controls they use all the time.  It doesn't help to know if, for instance, in Microsoft Word that the font is in the Home Ribbon, Font Group, and that you can get to it "the long way" each time rather than knowing that if you hit ALT+H,FF will instantly take you there.  I need that FF to somehow be announced when you land on that control, and NVDA still does it by default.  I know JAWS can, too.

--

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. It might not have to do with Access keys. It might have to do with the level of verbocity in JAWS. Try it with the following checked:

Tutor Messages Announce Menu and Control Help radio button checked

This setting is in Basic Settings in JAWS.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: Making JAWS announce shortcut sequences

I know darned well that at one time when you traversed the ribbon the "end of shortcut" sequence for the control on which you've landed was announced.  I rely on that as far as a student's ability to keep adding to their own "greatest hits" list as they find controls they use all the time.  It doesn't help to know if, for instance, in Microsoft Word that the font is in the Home Ribbon, Font Group, and that you can get to it "the long way" each time rather than knowing that if you hit ALT+H,FF will instantly take you there.  I need that FF to somehow be announced when you land on that control, and NVDA still does it by default.  I know JAWS can, too.

--

Bill,

Thanks.   I see another JAWS 2018 user tomorrow and I will be curious to see if her default settings are the same as my other client and will try this.

--

Hi, Brian. I’m using JAWS 2018, latest update, and all my controls are still announced with shortcut sequences. It sounds as if JAWS on the system you are using has been customized in some way, and the personal settings are blocking announcement of these key sequences.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

--

Cristóbal

Yup.

Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 8:51 PM

Hi, Brian. I’m using JAWS 2018, latest update, and all my controls are still announced with shortcut sequences. It sounds as if JAWS on the system you are using has been customized in some way, and the personal settings are blocking announcement of these key sequences.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

--

Hi, Brian. Another thing you can do, if the client is using JAWS 2018, is to use INSERT plus SPACE, followed by Z to put JAWS into Alternate User Directory Mode. This keeps any settings files from taking effect. JAWS runs in default mode at this point. So, if shortcut key sequences are announced in this mode, you will know that it is a setting in JAWS which has been personalized by the user, which is blocking the key sequence announcements when JAWS has been toggled back to the regular mode.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 8:50 PM

Bill,

Thanks.   I see another JAWS 2018 user tomorrow and I will be curious to see if her default settings are the same as my other client and will try this.

--

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 11:50 PM, Bill White wrote:
JAWS on the system you are using has been customized in some way
Certainly within the realm of possibility, but if it is, it was not intentional.  I think I'm the only one whose made intentional changes, some of those to speech and the others being the suggestions offered here.

I am definitely going to check out "installation #2" with another client today to see how that one is behaving.

--

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Brian,

In Word options on the Advanced tab press, Alt + H, to go to, Show shortcut keys in screen tips, and check this box if it isn't checked.  Now see if this helps with the problem you're having.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 8:23 PM

--

Mike,

Thanks for the tip, but I have now come to the conclusion that something's off in JAWS 2018.  I am getting precisely the same behavior on two different machines, one running Win7/Word 2013 and the other Win10/Word 2010.

The issue is not in Word, as it's showing the shortcut keys as you hit ALT+{Ribbon Letter} for all the controls in the ribbon, JAWS just refuses to read them off as you traverse the actual controls themselves.

I reported the issue on the Win10/Word 2010 machine and the response I received is one of those non-response responses that infuriate me.  "We no longer support Office 2010."  Well, VFO, let me tell you that while I understand this, you can be darned sure that something that's appearing with Word 2010 related to the ribbons can and will be appearing for later versions.   And, of course, it is.   I'm fine with saying we no longer support Word 2010 at this juncture, but the follow on should be, "and we will check if this behavior is present with JAWS 2018 and later supported versions of Microsoft Office."  It's pretty clear that's not what's happening.
--

Hi, Brian. I’m using JAWS 2018.1808.10, and my Word 2010 announces shortcuts.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:30 PM

Mike,

Thanks for the tip, but I have now come to the conclusion that something's off in JAWS 2018.  I am getting precisely the same behavior on two different machines, one running Win7/Word 2013 and the other Win10/Word 2010.

The issue is not in Word, as it's showing the shortcut keys as you hit ALT+{Ribbon Letter} for all the controls in the ribbon, JAWS just refuses to read them off as you traverse the actual controls themselves.

I reported the issue on the Win10/Word 2010 machine and the response I received is one of those non-response responses that infuriate me.  "We no longer support Office 2010."  Well, VFO, let me tell you that while I understand this, you can be darned sure that something that's appearing with Word 2010 related to the ribbons can and will be appearing for later versions.   And, of course, it is.   I'm fine with saying we no longer support Word 2010 at this juncture, but the follow on should be, "and we will check if this behavior is present with JAWS 2018 and later supported versions of Microsoft Office."  It's pretty clear that's not what's happening.
--