Very Strange Issue With Old Windows XP Computer

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I have an old Windows XP computer that I use for logging as a ham radio operator, and I have just experienced a very strange problem with this computer.

The computer worked fine last night, but this morning, when I turn on the computer, I can’t get to any of the programs on the machine.

If I turn on the computer, I can hear the hard drive start to engage, but after waiting for a few seconds, nothing happens, other than a double beep which I’m sure  indicates something. … Jaws will not come up, so I can’t read the screen.  And, I don’t have any sighted assistance here to look at the screen.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before, and if so, can you tell me what might of happened?  Most important, how do you get the computer back into normal operation?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

ratshtron <northstar1950@...>

hmmm, sounds like you may have lost the power from the motherboard battery. its a 2032 battery and if it dies, youloose all of the cmos settings like the time for example. you may need to replace the battery and then set the cmos time and that may fix the problem. unless it cannot recover all of the other settings to tell what is exactly installed on your system. i would for sure purchase a new cmos battery and try that first.

Legend has it that on Saturday 12/12/2015 09:55 AM, Tom Behler said:
Hello, everyone.

I have an old Windows XP computer that I use for logging as a ham radio operator, and I have just experienced a very strange problem with this computer.

The computer worked fine last night, but this morning, when I turn on the computer, I can’t get to any of the programs on the machine.

If I turn on the computer, I can hear the hard drive start to engage, but after waiting for a few seconds, nothing happens, other than a double beep which I’m sure indicates something. … Jaws will not come up, so I can’t read the screen. And, I don’t have any sighted assistance here to look at the screen.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before, and if so, can you tell me what might of happened? Most important, how do you get the computer back into normal operation?

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Nicole Massey <nyyki@...>

Your computer is telling you something is wrong. Look up the beep codes for
your computer -- the brand name should probably be enough if you have it,
though they're all fairly standard. There's something wrong with your
hardware if you're getting a double beep, but my only copy of those codes is
in hard copy and the roommate is currently offline in a data reindexing
cycle or I'd get her to help me look it up.

I have an old Windows XP computer that I use for logging as a ham radio
operator, and I have just experienced a very strange problem with this
computer.

The computer worked fine last night, but this morning, when I turn on
the computer, I can't get to any of the programs on the machine.

If I turn on the computer, I can hear the hard drive start to engage,
but after waiting for a few seconds, nothing happens, other than a
double beep which I'm sure indicates something. . Jaws will not come
up, so I can't read the screen. And, I don't have any sighted
assistance here to look at the screen.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before, and if so, can you
tell me what might of happened? Most important, how do you get the
computer back into normal operation?

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Gerald Levy

I experienced a similar problem with my Dell XP desktop about three months ago.  It worked fine the previous day, and I shut it down normally that evening like I always do.  But the following morning, when I pressed the power button to boot it up, nothing happened.  I heard a beep, but the internal cooling fan would not come on, and the DVD tray would not slide out when I pressed the eject button.  Fortunately, it was a Sunday morning, and my techie friend, who works during the week, was available and was able to visit me to check out my suddenly dead computer.  He noticed that the front panel power indicator light was flashing, but otherwise, the computer seemed to be dead and would not boot up no matter how many times he tried.  He finally concluded that either the motherboard or power supply were shot, and that it would not make any sense to fix the computer, if it could even be fixed at all, because XP was no longer supported, and I would be better off setting up the refurbed Windows 7 desktop that I had recently acquired from the Texas-based Computers for the Blind organization, which was sitting untouched in its carton, ready for just such a contingency.  He simply swapped out the old box and connected all the wires and cables to the new box, and I was back in business.  By coincidence, the new computer was also a Dell desktop almost identical to the dead one, and because it came with  NVDA and a demo version of JAWS 15 already installed, I was ready to go.  I upgraded my SMA from JAWS 9 to JAWS 16, updated my Open Book SMA from Open Book 7 to Open Book 9, for which Freedom Scientific charged me a total of $650, and configured Windows Live Mail, which also came pre-installed.  Thank goodness I had the presence of mind to obtain a backup computer to bail me out in the event my original one failed, and I am using it right now to compose this message.

Gerald

I have an old Windows XP computer that I use for logging as a ham radio operator, and I have just experienced a very strange problem with this computer.

The computer worked fine last night, but this morning, when I turn on the computer, I can’t get to any of the programs on the machine.

If I turn on the computer, I can hear the hard drive start to engage, but after waiting for a few seconds, nothing happens, other than a double beep which I’m sure  indicates something. … Jaws will not come up, so I can’t read the screen.  And, I don’t have any sighted assistance here to look at the screen.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before, and if so, can you tell me what might of happened?  Most important, how do you get the computer back into normal operation?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Dr. Tom, I got the impression that was going to happen to XP and Internet
Explorer 8 in December, which is why I bought a new computer. If I
thought I could have continued with XP, I'd have just kept right on with
the thing. I was used to it; it worked fine. But, I kept getting warnings
any time I went to Google, which was every day, that soon my systems were
no longer going to be supported.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Gerald:

Well, at least this Windows XP laptop is used only for ham radio logging purposes, and is not my main computer. … My main computer is a Windows 7 machine.

And, I religiously save all of my ham logs, so even if the computer had totally failed, I would not have been completely dead in the water.

Backups are always essential in this day and age.

Dr.  Tom Behler

[...]

Matthew Bullis

Try pressing F1 when that set of beeps happens. Most times that will bypass it, but then your time and date settings may be wrong. Those beeps mean that the Bios is coming up, which is what you get before Windows even loads. If F1 doesn't solve this, you will need sighted assistance to get past this screen.
Matthew

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Uh oh, could be the hard drive or the battery on the motherboard.  Have there been power surges or similar phenomena?  Get sighted help, and see if Windows will do a restart-repair.  If not, you are probably looking at a hardware failure of some kind, especially on a machine that old.  If your last shutdown was normal, it’s probably not Windows-related.  I’ve had this happen both at home and at work.

If you haven’t resolved the problem by the time you see this, we could go off list.

Ted