fillable pdf forms

Lauren Snyder

Hi:

There is a court document online I need to complete because my life is a drama. To keep in tact the information I complete, how do I save it? When I leave for a few minutes and I come back, Jaws just says the http address and I have to start from the beginning.

Is there a way to save it as a Word file without losing the format? I downloaded Acrobat DC and have Jaws 17.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Brad Martin

Do this first.

1. You didn't mention which browser you're using, but if it's coming up in a web browser, save the PDF by choosing Save As from the browser's file menu. (There should be something like Save As anyway.) Make sure you save the file where you can find it--desktop or documents or wherever.

2. Open the file you saved, rather than the HTTP location. If the form will allow saving, save whenever you want. If it won't, you'll get a warning that you will lose your entries and you should print the form once it is completed. That will depend, not on you, but on how your form was created to work.

Brad

On 12/11/2015 2:19 PM, Lauren Snyder wrote:

Hi:

There is a court document online I need to complete because my life is a drama. To keep in tact the information I complete, how do I save it? When I leave for a few minutes and I come back, Jaws just says the http address and I have to start from the beginning.

Is there a way to save it as a Word file without losing the format? I downloaded Acrobat DC and have Jaws 17.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Do you have Office 2013?

There is a court document online I need to complete because my life is a drama. To keep in tact the information I complete, how do I save it? When I leave for a few minutes and I come back, Jaws just says the http address and I have to start from the beginning.

Is there a way to save it as a Word file without losing the format? I downloaded Acrobat DC and have Jaws 17.

Sincerely,

Lauren

HH. Smith Jr.

Yes, Sorry it took so long to respond, THE HOLIDAYS in the VIRGIN ISLANDS!

There is a court document online I need to complete because my life is a drama. To keep in tact the information I complete, how do I save it? When I leave for a few minutes and I come back, Jaws just says the http address and I have to start from the beginning.

Is there a way to save it as a Word file without losing the format? I downloaded Acrobat DC and have Jaws 17.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

You should be set.  Office 2013 has the ability to open and edit existing PDF’s, rather than merely creating them.  If, on the other hand,  you’re dealing with an image file, use JAWS 16, or a similar OCR package, to convert it, then paste it directly into Word, and proceed from there.  Either way, you should be able to achieve what you want.

Ted

Yes, Sorry it took so long to respond, THE HOLIDAYS in the VIRGIN ISLANDS!

There is a court document online I need to complete because my life is a drama. To keep in tact the information I complete, how do I save it? When I leave for a few minutes and I come back, Jaws just says the http address and I have to start from the beginning.

Is there a way to save it as a Word file without losing the format? I downloaded Acrobat DC and have Jaws 17.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Edited

Lauren,

          You have already been given the best advice by Brad Martin.  The courts are quite unforgiving of any change, however slight, in the format of their forms and I would not trust any "import to edit" function of MS-Word.  The danger there is you could end up editing the form itself rather than just filling in the fields and one never knows just how perfectly the "import to edit" function will work.  I've currently got Office 2010 on this machine and no easy access to Office 2013 so can't do a quick test to see for myself.

           Since you entitled this thread "fillable PDF forms" that gives me the impression that this one has already been opened at some point in Adobe Reader or Adobe DC and you've received the announcement that it is a fillable pdf that allows you to save the data when you're finished.

           Simply download and save the file, open it in Adobe Reader and do your filling-in there.   As already noted, if the form doesn't allow itself to be saved once filled out you should simply print several copies when you're done entering your information.  If push comes to shove and you need to file it electronically, just scan in the filled-in and printed form.

           You really want to have these sorts of materials in precisely the format issued by the court.

Brian

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I’ve tried filling out forms in Acrobat Reader, it never worked.  I guess that’s why they call it a reader.  However, your point is well taken on things like margins, font size an style—things which may or may not translate properly from format to format.  Incidentally, I wasn’t being facetious on AR; if anyone has ever used it to fill out anything successfully, please speak up.

Ted

[...]

Castonguay, Guy (SSC/SPC) <guy.castonguay@...>

PDF forms are very dependent on the editor. If the form has not been setup properly with the field labels in the right places, JAWS or any other screen reader for that matter will not be able to follow properly. We have those types of forms at work and they can be saved with data inside. This depends on the security settings put in place by the author.

Regards

Guy Castonguay

[...]

Okay.  My last attempt was a transportation application back in late summer, 2013, prior to either 16 or Office 2013.  I think I bought and installed that last year.

[...]

Ted,

         The problem here is that we have JAWS involved and that can make it harder to know if there's an issue with Adobe Reader and JAWS "playing well together" with PDF fillable forms.

         As I've said before, I'm not a daily JAWS user but am a JAWS tutor.  I fill out my IRS taxes every year using PDF fillable forms that Adobe Reader allows me to save once filled out because that's how they are supposed to work (and have for me).  I'd suggest downloading something like a W4 Form and seeing if you can fill in some fields and save it using Adobe Reader.   I just did that with Adobe Reader DC and it did work though it required me to Save As rather than overwriting the original file I opened.  The file "saved as" opens up for further editing and all the changes I'd made are still there.  There are PDF forms that are not truly fillable in that they cannot be saved with the data you enter.   It used to be that Adobe Reader presented a message when you opened a fillable PDF that said you could save the data you entered.  Adobe Reader DC is not doing that, though.

         If you do download a W4 and give it a try in Adobe Reader (and please let me know what version, eleven AKA XI is the last I know of) with JAWS let me know if it will save (or save as).

Brian