getting rid of clutter

Ryan Coverdell

Gmail works great with the Pac Mate Omni and my desktop Pc. But one
thing about it is that it stores message by conversation. That means
that for things like this list there might be a dozen or more messages
to sort through, and deleting them can be tedious. How can I delete an
entire conversation in my gmail account? Jaws 14 with windows 7 and or
pac mate bx series. I have some older messages from a couple of months
ago I have to tie up lose ends with, and in just the past week I
somehow got out of digest mode without my changing anything. I need to
get rid of as many conversations as I can in gmail as quickly as
possible. Thank you for your response. Could some one e-mail me off
list so I don't have to deal with sorting through conversations? Again
my question is, how do I delete conversations? Kind regards,
Ryan Coverdell

Soronel Haetir

I never delete anything from gmail but do use the archive feature.
That way things don't show up on the main inbox page but I can still
refer to them later (admittedly a rare occurrence but it's nice for
those rare times I do want something).

To archive something just check the box on on the inbox page and then
the archive button.

If using the standard layout (rather than basic HTML which is what I
use) there is even a way to check every item on the page at once and
you can then archive them or whatever other action. But the standard
interface is something of a pain with jaws.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Kevin Wollenweber <dancingweed@...>

It is nice to be able to archive older emails instead of having to keep up with it all and delete what is necessary, but where do you find the archived items should you want to refer to something way, way back? I tried looking in the obvious place, the ARCHIVE folder, but they aren't there! It is as if you deleted them instead of archiving. Are the items automatically deleted at a certain point? After all, I've also been told that too much archiving slows down your computer.

Kevin

[...]

They are under "All mail". Note that I am referring only to using the
web mail client. If you use a standalone client then the messages may
well get deleted from the server as you download them to your system.

Note that it's generally far easier to find messages by searching
rather than looking through many dozens or hundreds of pages of
subject lines.

On 12/9/15, Kevin Wollenweber <dancingweed@...> wrote:
[...]

Mario

um... er... what is the purpose of archiving? I see it in Thunderbird but haven't used it because I don't know what it does.

On 12/9/2015 9:39 PM, Soronel Haetir wrote:
[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Kevin, I have Outlook set to delete when I exit. It gives me the choice, so I do not do it every time that I exit. I usually wait until the end of the day, and it will clean everything out, zap, in one whack. That setting might do what you need.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Alice Dampman Humel <alicedh@...>

when you archive something in gmail, where does it go? in other words, where do you go to re-read the things you’ve archived? I’ve done it on the phone, but I have no idea where to find them…thanks.

On Dec 10, 2015, at 9:30 AM, Mario <mrb620@...> wrote:

[...]

I checked in Outlook - Alt F-T-A (advanced settings). For one thing, I
saw that there were four or five tabs to get to check or uncheck deleted
e-mails, but there is a tab for archives there. I'm not concerned with
any archives, so I don't know what it does, but I do know that it's
there.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

<mailto:rmcover74@...> > wrote:

[...]

Mario:

Archiving sends a good portion of the emails that you currently have in your inbox to an ARCHIVED file or a separate file (which I am now told can be found at ANY MAIL), so your immediate inbox will not be so chock full of emails dating back to perhaps when you first bought your PC or laptop. It just minimizes the amount of emails that you keep in your inbox; does that sound right, folks?

Kevin