Topics

VLC

Jim L

Heya folks,

Another little bug bare with VLC and Jaws, is there a way to stop Jaws speaking the next track without totally silencing Jaws in VLC?.  This happens also when VLC is minimized to the taskbar and is kind of annoying especially if one’s making a playlist for a party etc and Jaws keeps announcing the next track.

Cheers,

Jim

Elise Berkley

Hello, Jim and all members of this list.  My name is Elise Berkley and I am new to the list.  Jim, or anyone, can you explain what VLC is?  I have never heard of this program, and I like to know everything – laugh, laugh!!  Thanks.
Elise

Jim L

VLC is a open source media player

Hello, Jim and all members of this list.  My name is Elise Berkley and I am new to the list.  Jim, or anyone, can you explain what VLC is?  I have never heard of this program, and I like to know everything – laugh, laugh!!  Thanks.

Elise

Bobb Wiley <rwiley46@...>

Uh, to give a little more info, vlc is an audio—I think it’s also a video—player similar to winamp or windows media player.

Hello, Jim and all members of this list.  My name is Elise Berkley and I am new to the list.  Jim, or anyone, can you explain what VLC is?  I have never heard of this program, and I like to know everything – laugh, laugh!!  Thanks.

Elise

Life doesn't imitate art; it imitates bad television. --Woody Allen

David Moore

Hi,
My name is David Moore, and I use VLC media player exclusively. It can play all files of audio, and stream video, and play DVDs and Blue Rays. VLC has many key commands that can be used to control what you are doing. Since VLC is open source, There are always add-ons coming out that can make VLC much more accessible each week. Just a few of the commands are holding down shift and pressing right and left arrow fast forwards or rewinds by a tiny amount. Holding down ctrl and doing the same thing, forwards and rewinds a bit more. Also, Ctrl + up and down arrow increases and decreases the volume. Num pad plus, speeds up the speech, and num pad minus slows down the speech. It is the best media player out there by far and the most versitile. It plays DVDs so well and it is so easy to play them with VLC. Please ask me any questions. Have a great one.

Uh, to give a little more info, vlc is an audio—I think it’s also a video—player similar to winamp or windows media player.
Hello, Jim and all members of this list.  My name is Elise Berkley and I am new to the list.  Jim, or anyone, can you explain what VLC is?  I have never heard of this program, and I like to know everything – laugh, laugh!!  Thanks.

Elise

Life doesn't imitate art; it imitates bad television. --Woody Allen

majno <alfred.hl@...>

Try putting the voice echo to None in jaws preferences INSERT+6.

El 09-Dec-15 a las 17:02, Jim L escribió:

Heya folks,

Another little bug bare with VLC and Jaws, is there a way to stop Jaws speaking the next track without totally silencing Jaws in VLC?.  This happens also when VLC is minimized to the taskbar and is kind of annoying especially if one’s making a playlist for a party etc and Jaws keeps announcing the next track.

Cheers,

Jim

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi David,

On a laptop without a numpad, what keys would be used?

Thanks, Keith

[...]

I have not figured out a work around for the num pad plus and num pad minus. For now, just slowing down or speeding up the speech will have to be put on hold if you do not have a numpad. I use a laptop and have one. However, do you have a FN key? Sometimes, if you hold that down, you can press keys on the alpha numeric keyboard to simulate the num pad. Tell me what you can find out. Have a great one. That is all you need the numpad for is to slow or speed up the speech.

Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:14 PM

[...]

Also, you can stop JAWS from speaking by pressing insert + space bar and pressing S for stop. When you want to turn it back on, just do the same thing again. It is a toggle. Have a great one.

Try putting the voice echo to None in jaws preferences INSERT+6.

El 09-Dec-15 a las 17:02, Jim L escribió:

Heya folks,

Another little bug bare with VLC and Jaws, is there a way to stop Jaws speaking the next track without totally silencing Jaws in VLC?.  This happens also when VLC is minimized to the taskbar and is kind of annoying especially if one’s making a playlist for a party etc and Jaws keeps announcing the next track.

Cheers,

Jim

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi,

On my HP EliteBook, there is an Fn key.

Keyboard help tells me the following:

NumPad minus is read with Fn key + semicolon.

NumPad plus is read with Fn key plus / (below the semicolon).

I don’t have VLC, so I can’t check to confirm.

Thanks, Keith

Also, you can stop JAWS from speaking by pressing insert + space bar and pressing S for stop. When you want to turn it back on, just do the same thing again. It is a toggle. Have a great one.

Try putting the voice echo to None in jaws preferences INSERT+6.

El 09-Dec-15 a las 17:02, Jim L escribió:

Heya folks,

Another little bug bare with VLC and Jaws, is there a way to stop Jaws speaking the next track without totally silencing Jaws in VLC?.  This happens also when VLC is minimized to the taskbar and is kind of annoying especially if one’s making a playlist for a party etc and Jaws keeps announcing the next track.

Cheers,

Jim

Elise Berkley

Thank you, Jim.  I remember this player now.  Have a good day.
Elise

Elise Berkley

Hello.  Thanks, guys for the info.  I may get this on my laptop and try it out.  See ya!
Elise

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I can slow or speed JAWS with Page Up and Page Down on the six pack. Also, I can do Say All with Insert from the six pack and Down Arrow near the keyboard. I would hate to have to give up the num pad, but could work around it, especially now, since I don't seem to get anywhere with rooting JAWS to PCI did try it, but id titn't work, so that would be a lost command, I believe, without the num pad.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

There you go! That would work with NvDA. That is how my old laptop was set up. Have a great one.

Also, you can stop JAWS from speaking by pressing insert + space bar and pressing S for stop. When you want to turn it back on, just do the same thing again. It is a toggle. Have a great one.

Try putting the voice echo to None in jaws preferences INSERT+6.

El 09-Dec-15 a las 17:02, Jim L escribió:

Heya folks,

Another little bug bare with VLC and Jaws, is there a way to stop Jaws speaking the next track without totally silencing Jaws in VLC?.  This happens also when VLC is minimized to the taskbar and is kind of annoying especially if one’s making a playlist for a party etc and Jaws keeps announcing the next track.

Cheers,

Jim

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

What's the six pack?

[...]

With left and right brakets also is possible speed up and down, and equal to normalize.

Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:14 PM

[...]

The six pack is the grouping about the arrows to the right of the keyboard containing -

Top from left to right, Insert, Home, Page Up
And Bottomm, Delete, End, Page Down

That is how it is situated on many keyboards. I have seen some where it is switched 90 degrees.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Okay, David, at the risk of being tiresome, what has to be done to play a Blu-ray? Also, how does one activate the resume feature.  This program even plays MASH gracefully, and, as several veterans of this list will attest, that’s high praise, indeed.

Ted

My name is David Moore, and I use VLC media player exclusively. It can play all files of audio, and stream video, and play DVDs and Blue Rays. VLC has many key commands that can be used to control what you are doing. Since VLC is open source, There are always add-ons coming out that can make VLC much more accessible each week. Just a few of the commands are holding down shift and pressing right and left arrow fast forwards or rewinds by a tiny amount. Holding down ctrl and doing the same thing, forwards and rewinds a bit more. Also, Ctrl + up and down arrow increases and decreases the volume. Num pad plus, speeds up the speech, and num` pad minus slows down the speech. It is the best media player out there by far and the most versatile. It plays DVDs so well and it is so easy to play them with VLC. Please ask me any questions. Have a great one.

Uh, to give a little more info, vlc is an audio—I think it’s also a video—player similar to winamp or windows media player.

Hello, Jim and all members of this list.  My name is Elise Berkley and I am new to the list.  Jim, or anyone, can you explain what VLC is?  I have never heard of this program, and I like to know everything – laugh, laugh!!  Thanks.

Elise

Life doesn't imitate art; it imitates bad television. --Woody Allen

David Moore

Hi Ted,
I need to get a blu-ray to try it out for myself. I thought I found directions for playing blu-rays, but I cannot find those instructions. Also, I do not think my DVD drive on my computer will play blu-rays. I have a feeling that VLC will play blu-rays, but I cannot test it out for my self, and I can no longer find the instructions for how to do so. I will let you guys know as soon as I can, because I would love to know for sure myself. Have a great one.

Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:36 PM

[...]

My drive will play them, so that’s not a problem.  It’s just that it’ll only use PowerDVD—‘nuff said.  However, Blu-ray support was one of the improvements touted in the current edition.  What we really need as a manual!  I have 5 titles--Hitchcock’s “The Birds,” and a four-pack called “Giants of Steam.”  Man alive, I’d like to hear those four over a real system one of these days!

Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:36 PM