how to have jaws speek where a file is located

Nino Dagostino

Tood morning:

I am trying to locate a file on the computer I press the windows key and let up on it and type part of the name

Windows will show me there is a file on the computer but it wont speek the location of the file on the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan Robbins <alan1057@...>

Once the file is highlighted, use your applications key and select one of the following:

Open file location

Copy full path

Al

I am trying to locate a file on the computer I press the windows key and let up on it and type part of the name

Windows will show me there is a file on the computer but it wont speek the location of the file on the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Nino,

If the copy path option isn't available in the regular context menu try pressing, Shift + F10, to open the extended context menu.  I don't have a Windows 10 computer available to me right now, but in Windows 7 the copy path option is in the extended context menu.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

I am trying to locate a file on the computer I press the windows key and let up on it and type part of the name

Windows will show me there is a file on the computer but it wont speek the location of the file on the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mario

also, you can try shift+application key, this might sometimes provide
additional commands such as the "copy as path" as opposed to just
pressing the application key by itself.

If the copy path option isn't available in the regular context menu try
pressing, Shift + F10, to open the extended context menu.  I don't have
a Windows 10 computer available to me right now, but in Windows 7 the
copy path option is in the extended context menu.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In
the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

also, you can try shift+application key, this might sometimes provide
additional commands such as the "copy as path" as opposed to just pressing
the application key by itself.

I am trying to locate a file on the computer I press the windows key and let
up on it and type part of the name

Windows will show me there is a file on the computer but it wont speek the
location of the file on the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hmm, I always was under the impression that if you have an application key and it actually works as such then it makes no difference if you press it, Shift+F10 or if a sighted person does a right click. Can other Windows experts comment on what Mike calls the “extended context menu”?

Regards,

Sieghard

If the copy path option isn't available in the regular context menu try pressing, Shift + F10, to open the extended context menu.  I don't have a Windows 10 computer available to me right now, but in Windows 7 the copy path option is in the extended context menu.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

I am trying to locate a file on the computer I press the windows key and let up on it and type part of the name

Windows will show me there is a file on the computer but it wont speek the location of the file on the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

The Open File Location is only available if you are dealing with a shortcut, it is not even available if you are on an actual file because if you are in Windows Explorer and highlight a file and not a shortcut then you are already at the file location.

Another method if you want to see but not copy the entire path would be to go into the file’s properties by pressing Alt+Enter, you always land on the “Read Only” checkbox, press Shift+Tab once and if you use Jaws then route the Jaws cursor to the PC cursor and arrow down once and Jaws will read the file location. If it’s too long and gets cut off you can left click on it once with the Jaws cursor and it will then read it completely.

I am trying to locate a file on the computer I press the windows key and let up on it and type part of the name

Windows will show me there is a file on the computer but it wont speek the location of the file on the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hi.

The OP described using the windows key search box to find the file. In that case, at least on my own Windows 10 machine, alt-enter (which I was actually going to suggest) does not work and in fact performs the same function as hitting enter/opening the file. When I press the application key I also get a heavily truncated menu that only includes a couple of options, usually, depending on what type of file is focused on. “open file location” is as far as I know always one of those options. This isn’t the same as using the search function in file explorer, which should in fact take you directly to the path as you mentioned.

I tested the alt-enter just now and was kind of surprised it didn’t do what I was expecting, but there you go.

[...]

Shift-f10 does sometimes give one more options. For example, focusing on one of my documents (a txt file) and pressing the applications key gives a whole host of options, and in this case, I can verify that when I press shift-f10 I have a “copy as path” option that wasn’t present in the other menu. This is only one example but I have definitely noted this before. Yes, it does not seem terribly efficient or intuitive.

[...]

Hi,

I did not refer in any way to using the Windows search box when I mentioned the Alt+Enter option. If you read my message you find that I am speaking about Windows Explorer, e.g. if you drill down to a subfolder somewhere using Windows Explorer then you are already at the file location.

Yes, if you use the Windows search box to type a file name or part of a file name and it does pop up then Shift+F10 only gives you two options, Open File Location and Copy as Path so I guess in that case an Open File Location exists for a file, but if you are already on said file in Windows Explorer that option does not exist since as I said you are already at the file location and in Windows Explorer only shortcuts have an Open File Location option in the context menu.

I rarely use the application key since most of my keyboards don’t even have one and I have gotten so used to Shift+F10 that even on the one keyboard where I do have an application key I don’t usually use it.

[...]

I was clarifying that the person who originally asked the question specifically referred to using that search box, and as I just verified, using that method, alt-enter to open properties does not work as it normally does in file explorer.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, JM. Another way of obtaining file location is:

1. Open File Explorer Options.

2. Navigate to the View tab.

3. Open the tree list, and navigate to the item which reads:

Display the full path in the title bar

4. Determine whether this option is set to On or Off.

5. If it is set to Off, press SpaceBar to toggle this option to On.

6. TAB to the Apply button, and press ENTER.

7. TAB to the OK button and press ENTER.

8. Search for the file, and, once found, open the file.

9. Read the TitleBar information (in JAWS this command is JAWS Key plus T)

10. The file location will be spoken when the TitleBar information is read.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...