Question about upgrading

Jim Portillo

Hello,

I would like to upgrade to the Windows 10 anniversary edition.  I’m currently using the latest version of JAWS 17 and last year’s Windows 10.

I thought I read somewhere that there was something wrong with downloading the anniversary edition update because it didn’t like the accessibility drivers.  Is this correct?

So, what is the best way to upgrade?

So far, I’ve gone to Settings, and then to “Check for update.”  It tells me that my system is up to date, but I guess that’s from the current Windows 10 and not the newer one.

I know I can tab to “Learn More” and download it that way, but is this the way that people advise against?

If this has already been discussed, then someone can write me off list with specific instructions.

Thanks much as always.

Jim

Mark

Hello Jim,

At one time, the Freedom Scientific display driver was an issue during the
upgrade process.

However, this issue has been resolved. Just make certain that you have the
absolute latest version of Jaws 17, before you begin the upgrade process.

All things being equal, you may use the method you listed in your original
post to update to the Anniversary version of Windows 10 without fear of
encountering any problems from the Freedom Scientific display driver.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mark

I would like to upgrade to the Windows 10 anniversary edition.  I’m
currently using the latest version of JAWS 17 and last year’s Windows 10.
I thought I read somewhere that there was something wrong with downloading
the anniversary edition update because it didn’t like the accessibility
drivers.  Is this correct?
So, what is the best way to upgrade?
So far, I’ve gone to Settings, and then to “Check for update.”  It tells me
that my system is up to date, but I guess that’s from the current Windows 10
and not the newer one.
I know I can tab to “Learn More” and download it that way, but is this the
way that people advise against?
If this has already been discussed, then someone can write me off list with
specific instructions.
Thanks much as always.

Jim

I posted this on this group and on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users group on August 22nd.  For those worrying about not having the Anniversary Update yet, count yourselves lucky and read the post at this link: https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/8615

The best things, like upgrades with all the kinks worked out, come to those who wait.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Zachary Abernathy <zabernathy@...>

I was under the impression it was to be a structured rollout...??
Regards,

Ps. HI JIM!!!!
You can't get rid of me sir!!!

"If I fall short of my goals in life, I guarantee it won't be because of my lack of Vision."

On Aug 29, 2016, at 19:01, Mark <facebookmark@candleshoreblog.com> wrote:

[...]

Zachary Abernathy, in regard to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, wrote:  "I was under the impression it was to be a structured rollout...??"

About which you are absolutely correct.  This update has been much more fraught with issues, though not for everyone, than had been anticipated.  I got it almost the moment it was available.  How my machine came to be one of "the chosen few" for first update I do not know.  I have lost jump lists in the start menu, but that's about it, and none of the tweaks that have been issued since have restored them.  Others have had more significant difficulties while still others have had none.

The whole purpose of the system health telemetry is to alert Microsoft to malfunctions occurring in the field that did not occur in their testbed.  When these occur in the quantity and with the frequency that they have for the Anniversary Update this can and will change the rollout schedule.  It's quite clear now that the brakes have been put on as far as continued rollout until the existing identified issues can be resolved.  This happened with one of the 2015 major updates as well, but I can't recall which one at the moment.

No one is going to fail to get the Anniversary Update unless they have their wireless internet connection identified as metered, which will prevent the download of any Windows Updates.   Microsoft will almost certainly announce when it believes everyone should already have the Anniversary Update installed when the end of the rollout period arrives.  I suspect that this will be months away just based on how the rollout has already slowed to a crawl, or perhaps stopped for the moment.

--
Brian

         ~ William James

James Malone

Hi Brian, Did this upgrade end with the numbers 407?

James

[...]

George Basioli <gbmagoo@...>

Jump lists were removed I think

[...]

Mario

Brian, what about those who shut off their computers at night? if they
did not get the anniversary update already, will they ever get it if
they just wait?

[...]

/*A great many people think they are thinking when they are */*/merely
rearranging their prejudices./*

* ~ William James*

Mario,

         The Anniversary Update will be detected, and an attempt to download it made, if Windows Update detects it has not been applied and one's individual machine happens to be in the current rollout group (and I have no idea how Microsoft works out its groupings, just that these major updates are not shot to every Windows 10 machine at one time, but occur in "chunks" of the Windows 10 embedded base).

         If you shut your machine down nightly it is entirely possible that you might not end up completing the process of downloading and installing since this particular update is quite substantial in size.  I do not recommend to my clients that they do shut their machines down on a daily basis, particularly if you have a conventional disc drive that isn't one that's designed to, essentially, turn itself off when it's not been accessed for a while.  The wear and tear on spinning a disc up to speed after being shut down is a lot worse over repeated cycles than just letting the thing keep on spinning.   You could also be in the same situation if you work at night and shut your machine down during the day.  Windows Update generally checks sometime shortly after a machine starts up if it's been off for any significant period of time to see if there are updates available, but once it finds them if you don't give it sufficient time to download and install these you can be in a perpetual, "I need this, I'm getting this, I stopped the process in the middle so I need to start over again" loop.   As a general rule I recommend leaving your computer on, period, but if you you see that Windows Update is pulling down a major update like the Anniversary Update in particular you should definitely let the computer run and do its thing.

          Other points:

  1. Jump Lists have not been eliminated and this can be confirmed in the Personalization settings where the toggle switch for "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the Task Bar" still exists.
  2. I have no idea what the KBB number for the Anniversary Update is.  You can, however, tell if you have it by hitting the Windows Key, typing "winver", then hitting enter.  If the About Windows dialog that comes up tells you that you are running Version 1607 then you have already got the Anniversary Update.  If not then the most likely version you'd be running is 1511.

--
Brian

         ~ William James

Mario

so, would it be advisable to occasionally check if there are updates?
I also need to know how because I'm not sure if I noted how to check.
it's probably simple but I still want to make a note on how to do it.

[...]

Maria Campbell

I, for one, don't leave my laptop on all the time, I think, for obvious reasons. Additionally, I need to manually do updates, because I have different data caps during the day versus during the night at my winter home.

Maria Campbell
lucky1@gmail.com

Without them, hunanity cannot survive.
--Dalai Lama

On 8/30/2016 12:47 PM, Mario wrote:
[...]

Teddybear

When jaws 18 beta will out?

I would like to upgrade to the Windows 10 anniversary edition.  I’m currently using the latest version of JAWS 17 and last year’s Windows 10.

I thought I read somewhere that there was something wrong with downloading the anniversary edition update because it didn’t like the accessibility drivers.  Is this correct?

So, what is the best way to upgrade?

So far, I’ve gone to Settings, and then to “Check for update.”  It tells me that my system is up to date, but I guess that’s from the current Windows 10 and not the newer one.

I know I can tab to “Learn More” and download it that way, but is this the way that people advise against?

If this has already been discussed, then someone can write me off list with specific instructions.

Thanks much as always.

Jim

Mario,

             It can't hurt.  Simply invoke Windows Update in the manner appropriate to the version of Windows you're running.  Going to Control Panel will get you to where you can invoke Windows Update no matter what version of Windows you're running.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Mario,

             I retract that statement about Control Panel, at least for Windows 10 after the Anniversary Update, as it's not in Control Panel on my 64-bit Win10 Home machine when I look now.

             Under Windows 10 just go to Settings and choose the "Updates & Security" settings and you immediately land on the Windows Update pane and have a "Check for updates" button on that pane.

--
Brian

         ~ William James

Mario

OK. thanks.

It can't hurt. Simply invoke Windows Update in the manner
appropriate to the version of Windows you're running. Going to Control
Panel will get you to where you can invoke Windows Update no matter what
version of Windows you're running.
--
*/Brian/*

/*A great many people think they are thinking when they are */*/merely
rearranging their prejudices./*

* ~ William James*

Zachary Abernathy <zabernathy@...>

Thank you. This explains why I have not gotten the update on my personal computer, yet I have it on 2 others.
Regards,

Ps. So this "telemetry" you speak of...does the data collected have an immediate or real time effect on the rollout schedule?
Regards,

On Aug 30, 2016, at 07:15, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]

             I think that presuming realtime changes in rollout scheduling secondary to telemetry data or, possibly, the lack thereof, is a bit too optimistic.  I do know that it's aggregated and those aggregate results are closely monitored by humans who can raise the red flag to stop something dead in its tracks mighty quickly.

             Last year I had downloaded and burned one of the Win10 ISOs mere hours before it was pulled due to error reporting from the system health feature where you can exercise some degree of control over how extensive that data is under the Privacy Settings, Feedback & diagnostics pane.   It's taking longer for Microsoft to roll out the Anniversary Update than any of the prior ones I can think of, by a long shot, and that speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned.  Much better late than on time and disastrous.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Kenny Peyattt jr.

You can always download the anaversary update by clicking the learn more link in the windows update earea of the settings app. That is what I did and It went smoothly. That is if you don’t want to wait for your machine to do it for you.

Kenny Peyatt jr.

[...]

Very true.
Regards,

On Aug 30, 2016, at 13:37, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

[...]