Thank you and a question about pdf files

Shirley Tracy

Hi everyone,

First, thanks to  those of you who answered my question about using convenient OCR. It’s awesome!

Now, for another challenge (to me, anyway). A medical person has emailed me an important pdf attachment. I’ve been able to open them in the past. But I haven’t needed to for a while. I’m running JAWS 2018 and Windows 10. I started using Gmail just recently and am still learning to use it.

Meanwhile, I started importing the Gmail into Windows Mail for quick and simple emails—it’s faster for me right now.

Anyway, my problem is this: PDF attachments won’t open. I press enter, and the word “EDGE” is read at the top and that’s all. So I went directly to my Gmail account, and the same thing happened. How did Edge get involved? Is there any way to be able to read this pdf attachment? Help!

Thank you so much.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

In Windows 10, there are several ways to get a pdf document to open in Adobe Reader, which is what you want. I’ll mention a couple.

First, when in the e-mail client, focus on the attachment and use the application or context menu key to see what choices are offered.  One will likely be to save the document.  Once you do so, go to Documents where it prob ably resides and focus on it.  Use the application key and press H until you hear Open With. Adobe Acrobat Reader will probably be among the first choices, if it isn’t, the menu allows you to choose another app, and you can locate it there.  If you do so, you can tab to a check box to always use this app to open pdf files.

If you can get the pdf saved, or if you have another one on your system, focus on it and press alt+enter to bring up its properties. Once there, tab once to the Change button and press space. Tab to the list of potential apps to use to open pdf files and choose adobe acrobat reader.

Let us know if this doesn’t work.

[...]

Richard Turner

Shirley, for some unknown reason, Microsoft has Edge defaulting as the reader for PDF files.  It is a mystery to me why they did this.

Dean’s methods should work, and the one using the properties and accessing the change button, should change the default to Adobe Acrobat rather than Edge so future PDF’s will open correctly.

I think everyone may want to write accessibility@... and mention how useless Edge is for PDF files to open in Edge.

Richard

[...]

Joseph Norton

Hi:

No mystery as to why MicroSoft wants to use Edge as default pdf reader.

For the average sighted user, Edge is able to handle pdf’s, and MS wants it that way.

I am sure the accessibility team knows about this and will recommend installing Acrobat Reader instead if asked.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

mike mcglashon

Mr. Norton:

Your reasoning impresses me.

First, regarding the “no mystery” “because the average sighted person wants to use edge for pdsf’s” “and ms wants it that way””.

That really tells us a lot.

We’re truly much better off with that answer versus none at all.

The only thing better would be, had you had elaborated and explained what edge can do with pdf’s that adobe can’t do, and whether those advantages are forbidden to us due to inaccessibility?

Secondly, “I am sure the access team knows about this”.

Is also extremely helpful as no foundation was provided as to how you have “special knowledge” of this info; maybe you directly wrote to them, maybe you work for them.

Again, the reasoning is so perfect, that a little decoration of that sort on top would take the cake.

Thank you muchly.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

[...]

Not sure why you are so confrontational, Joseph is extremely involved with Microsoft and I agree that Microsoft of course wants you to use Edge for reading PDF files since it is their product, they want you to use it the same way as they remind you to use Edge as your browser.

[...]

Maria Campbell

It used to be that PDF files used to automatically open into Internet Explorer, so why not Edge now that it's the favored browser?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

Success is having the courage to meet failure without being defeated.

[...]

That’s great,

I was hoping more elaboration and backup of his positions would be forth coming, that’s all;

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

[...]

Mario

maybe the pdf extension is set to open with Edge?

lucky1inct@gmail.com

Email: Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net
<mailto:Michael.mcglashon@comcast.net>

Shirley, for some unknown reason, Microsoft has Edge defaulting as the
reader for PDF files.  It is a mystery to me why they did this.

Dean’s methods should work, and the one using the properties and
accessing the change button, should change the default to Adobe
Acrobat rather than Edge so future PDF’s will open correctly.

I think everyone may want to write accessibility@microsoft.com
<mailto:accessibility@microsoft.com> and mention how useless Edge is
for PDF files to open in Edge.

Richard

“Definition of an expert: An ex is a has-been and a spirt is a drip
under pressure.” – Bruce U. Utah Phillips