getting the mail ap in windows 10 to work with jaws?

Michael Amaro

Hello Listers,

How easy is it to use the mail ap in windows 10 with jaws?  I am having no luck in setting up my friend's @msn email address in windows live mail.  There for I want to go the mail ap route.  I my self have never used  the mail ap.  How easy is it to teach some one that doesn't know much about technology?  Is it easy to set up an acount?

Thanks

Michael

Email/Skype:

Zoom Room:

Zoom ID:

7792849618

JFK
"
What kind of peace do I mean? What kind of peace do we seek? Not a Pax Americana enforced on the world by American weapons of war. Not the peace of the grave or the security of the slave. I am talking about genuine peace, the kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living, the kind that enables men and nations to grow and to hope and to build a better life for their children--not merely peace for Americans but peace for all men and women--not merely peace in our time but peace for all time."

Chris Hill

I played with it  It is Clunky  Thunderbirds better and easier to set up

On Sep 22, 2018, at 14:34, Michael Amaro <mikeameli@...> wrote:

[...]

Joseph Norton

Hi:

I’m using it successfully with both the beta and earlier versions of JAWS.

There are a few issues, such as not being able to press Enter on some links, but not all.  Also, JAWS doesn’t read the address fields very well when I’m composing a message.

For simple reading and replying, which is a large percentage of my mail actions, it works adequately.

when I want to compose a message.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Could you please give me step by step instructions on how to set it up?  I am trying to set up my friend's msn email address in windows live.  So far no luck.  I am about to pull out my hair.

[...]

Thunderbird is easy to get going, especially for a common email.  I don't remember the exact steps, but once you open it, it will likely ask for the email address you wish to configure,then it will give you options like whether you want pop or imap using its database or configure it yourself.  Using the database makes the process nothing to fear.

On 9/24/2018 11:18, Michael Amaro wrote:
[...]

Michal Nowicki

The Windows 10 mail app is compatible with JAWS, but it works much better with NVDA. For example, when I start typing an e-mail address in the to field, NVDA reads the suggested recipients that pop up automatically, while JAWS does not. To get JAWS to read this information, I must tab out of the to field. Additionally, JAWS does not always accurately read message sender information while navigating the inbox with the arrow keys, whereas NVDA does not seem to have any trouble with this. Third, when I press enter to open a message from the inbox, JAWS frequently crashes. Sometimes, the mail app crashes along with it. I have never encountered this serious bug with NVDA running.

Finally, unlike NVDA, JAWS has had a difficult time keeping up with updates to the mail app. Since the app first became accessible, I have noticed accessibility regressions on at least three occasions. While VFO has always fixed these problems reasonably quickly, the issues were frustrating.

As a result of the above issues, I now use the Windows 10 mail app almost exclusively with NVDA, which interacts with it quite smoothly and adapts to changes faster. I hope this helps.

Michal

[...]

Thanks for those observations.

Things like this are why I advocate having more than one screen reader on a system.

[...]

Ashleigh Piccinino

It works fine for me. Of course we’re talking about Jaws in the mail app.

On Sep 24, 2018, at 10:00 AM, Joseph Norton <joseph.norton@...> wrote:

[...]

Shirley Tracy

I’ll add my 2 cents here. I prefer Windows Mail to anything else I have used recently. I import my Gmail into it, and if I have trouble opening links or such, then I go to the Gmail directly. I just think using Windows Mail for most of my email works fine.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy