How do you make the gmail account your default mail?

Ryan Coverdell

I finally got the windows live mail to work. Praise God!

A few weeks ago gmail evidently blocked things for security reasons, but now I finally have my gmail account working on my windows live mail system. But I’m still confused about some accessibility issues. First, how do I turn off the annoying feature of it checking my other email account for new messages? That account is no longer configured properly and I don’t use it for now. Also, I didn’t set this one up as default yet and how do you do that using the keyboard? Please send to my email address as I will have this windows live mail program open and that would be the easiest way to get things today.

Regards,

Ryan Coverdell

"Kevin Hourigan " <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Ryan,

Here are some notes I saved from the list.

Adding an account to Windows Live Mail 2012 via Keyboard Commands

1.        Open WLM

2.       Hit ALT+S to be taken to the Accounts Tab followed by E to open the Create E-mail Account dialog

3.       Navigate to the e-mail address box and enter your e-mail address.

4.      Navigate to the Password Box and enter your password

5.       Navigate to the “Remember this Password” checkbox and make sure it’s checked.  It should be checked by default.

6.      Navigate to the “Display Name for your Sent Messages” box and enter the name you wish to have shown before your e-mail address when you send e-mail messages.  This can be left empty, but I don’t advise doing that.

7.       If you wish the account you’re adding to become your default account when WLM opens then navigate to the “Make this my default e-mail account” checkbox, and check it.

8.      There remains one checkbox, “Manually configure server settings” that follows the default account checkbox.  There are very few e-mail service providers, if the one you’re using is a major one like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Verizon, etc., that WLM does not already have the configuration information for in its database.  I advise leaving this unchecked.

9.      Activate the Next button.

10.    If everything goes as expected then you’ll get a message that the account was added and you can just activate the Finish button.  If it did not, you’ll need to find out what the specific server settings are for the e-mail provider you’re using, including the necessary port numbers for the incoming and outgoing mail servers, and the security and login protocols used for each, then circle back to step 8, but check the checkbox to manually configure server settings.  I will not get into the server settings configuration dialogs at this time, as they are seldom needed.

I finally got the windows live mail to work. Praise God!

A few weeks ago gmail evidently blocked things for security reasons, but now I finally have my gmail account working on my windows live mail system. But I’m still confused about some accessibility issues. First, how do I turn off the annoying feature of it checking my other email account for new messages? That account is no longer configured properly and I don’t use it for now. Also, I didn’t set this one up as default yet and how do you do that using the keyboard? Please send to my email address as I will have this windows live mail program open and that would be the easiest way to get things today.

Regards,

Ryan Coverdell

George Gray

Very good stuff, but...

How can I get WLM onto my Windows10 machine? When I search for it I
am automatically put onto Edge, though FireFox is indicated as my
dedicated browser.

And, similarly; when I am attempting to add my Gmail account to the
onboard Mail App and entering my gmail address it refuses to take the
g in the address no matter what I do.

What is up with that?

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

I just posted a dedicated thread about getting Windows Live Mail 2012.

Additional detail would be necessary regarding rejection of a gmail address in the Windows 10 mail app.  I have never seen one work other than flawlessly and clearly there's some small snag here and it's a matter of determining what that snag is.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Feliciano G

Gmail has recently improved their security by not allowing third-party programs use Gmail. In order for you to use Gmail and third-party programs, you must go to your Gmail account using the browser and you must enable allow less secure apps.

Regards,Feliciano For tech tips and updates, LIKE www.facebook.com/theblindman12v Follow www.twitter.com/theblindman12v

On Aug 27, 2016, at 10:21 AM, George Gray <blindtraveler2@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Just to reinforce the point made by Feliciano, if you intend to use a Gmail account with an e-mail client that does not support 2-step authentication (which is a lot of them) you must do the following once you are logged in to your Google account for any service:

1.  Go to https://myaccount.google.com/

2.  Navigate to the "Signing in to Google" link and activate it.

3.  Search for "2-Step Verification" link, which will read as being "On" by default.  Activate it and follow the steps to turn it "Off."  Part of this will require you to manually enter your existing password.

After you've turned 2-step verification off then any e-mail client should be able to access your Gmail account if you've provided the correct password.  Many more modern ones like the Windows 10 Mail App will actually include a step when you're setting up the account where a Google window is presented where you specifically allow the app or application program access and Google registers this.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

George Gray

Brian:

To the best of my memory...

Upon Opening the Mail App it says something to the effect "let's get
going". Which then drops me into a Dialogue Box that asks what kind
of mail program I want to add, where-in, I highlight Google and hit
enter. This action takes me to an odd kind of window that sort of
comes and goes...meaning sometimes I have to Alt-tab away, then go
back to it.

This window is the one that I enter the email address, in which, Edit
Field is giving me a problem. It takes everything that I enter into
it except for the g of gmail. And, when I reenter it, in order, to
insert the g it keeps throwing me out and will not accept that darned
g.

The same page then asks me if I want to create a new account. I am
writing you this from the account that I wish to add to the Mail App,
so it is a valid gmail account.

Sorry, but that is the best description that I can give.

Thanks.

[...]

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging
their prejudices.

         ~ William James
--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Ocean Winds
Cabarete/Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

George,

           That's a mystery to me.  I just tried adding another Google Account under the Win10 Mail App and the first screen you get after choosing the Google option is the "Connecting to a Service" screen that shows you an actual Google page where you enter your Gmail username (or full e-mail address) as part of setting up the app connection to Google.  It doesn't reject the 'g' in the "@gmail.com" for me.

--
Brian

         ~ William James