From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Joseph Norton <joseph.norton@...>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2018 11:41:45 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: May need alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader

Hi listers:

Recently, I have been needing to access some PDF’s.  For some reason, whenever I try to use Acrobat Reader DC, the program seems to be very sluggish, sometimes, even unresponsive.  Is this becoming a problem?  If so, is there another solution that will work better with JFW?

Thanks!

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Another option is to use the “recognize with JAWS feature, and bypass Adobe Acrobat DC altogether.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Recently, I have been needing to access some PDF’s.  For some reason, whenever I try to use Acrobat Reader DC, the program seems to be very sluggish, sometimes, even unresponsive.  Is this becoming a problem?  If so, is there another solution that will work better with JFW?

Thanks!

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Acrobat is always kind of sluggish.

If it’s not a scanned image document and is straightforward in general (iE, an etext or something), you can use qRead. It’s a nice little programme that very quickly opens pdf and epub files. I like it because it’s very fast. However it doesn’t have many of the features Adobe has. It’s generally meant for books or similar context with straightforward, linear text.

Recently, I have been needing to access some PDF’s.  For some reason, whenever I try to use Acrobat Reader DC, the program seems to be very sluggish, sometimes, even unresponsive.  Is this becoming a problem?  If so, is there another solution that will work better with JFW?

Thanks!

Apart from the fact that a large document say with 20 or 30 pages or even more takes a while to load I have no problems with ACrobat Readder being sluggish, once the document has loaded I can navigate it withut problems.

If it’s not a scanned image document and is straightforward in general (iE, an etext or something), you can use qRead. It’s a nice little programme that very quickly opens pdf and epub files. I like it because it’s very fast. However it doesn’t have many of the features Adobe has. It’s generally meant for books or similar context with straightforward, linear text.

Recently, I have been needing to access some PDF’s.  For some reason, whenever I try to use Acrobat Reader DC, the program seems to be very sluggish, sometimes, even unresponsive.  Is this becoming a problem?  If so, is there another solution that will work better with JFW?

Thanks!

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I’ve always found it usable, but clunky as hell.

[...]

It works better if you use the “Change reading options setting in the Edit menu, and choose “Raw print stream.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Joseph Norton

Thanks, I’ll give that a look.

The document is pretty straight forward, but, Adobe freezes in the middle of processing—maybe that’s actually JFW freezing.  Maybe Adobe is just fine with it.

However, NVDA doesn’t like it either.

Just in case anyone wants to look at it, it’s an eBook on using FreeDOS.

The file is at:

http://www.freedos.org/ebook/download/using-freedos-24.pdf

If it’s not a scanned image document and is straightforward in general (iE, an etext or something), you can use qRead. It’s a nice little programme that very quickly opens pdf and epub files. I like it because it’s very fast. However it doesn’t have many of the features Adobe has. It’s generally meant for books or similar context with straightforward, linear text.

Recently, I have been needing to access some PDF’s.  For some reason, whenever I try to use Acrobat Reader DC, the program seems to be very sluggish, sometimes, even unresponsive.  Is this becoming a problem?  If so, is there another solution that will work better with JFW?

Thanks!

Sharon

What about QRead?

I love that program, though I do not have it on the computer that has the newest JAWS version.

Sharon

If it’s not a scanned image document and is straightforward in general (iE, an etext or something), you can use qRead. It’s a nice little programme that very quickly opens pdf and epub files. I like it because it’s very fast. However it doesn’t have many of the features Adobe has. It’s generally meant for books or similar context with straightforward, linear text.

Recently, I have been needing to access some PDF’s.  For some reason, whenever I try to use Acrobat Reader DC, the program seems to be very sluggish, sometimes, even unresponsive.  Is this becoming a problem?  If so, is there another solution that will work better with JFW?

Thanks!

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Joseph. I have written you privately and put the pdf document you wanted in Microsoft Word, docx format. Please let me know if you would prefer the document in another format.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

If it’s not a scanned image document and is straightforward in general (iE, an etext or something), you can use qRead. It’s a nice little programme that very quickly opens pdf and epub files. I like it because it’s very fast. However it doesn’t have many of the features Adobe has. It’s generally meant for books or similar context with straightforward, linear text.

Recently, I have been needing to access some PDF’s.  For some reason, whenever I try to use Acrobat Reader DC, the program seems to be very sluggish, sometimes, even unresponsive.  Is this becoming a problem?  If so, is there another solution that will work better with JFW?

Thanks!

Joseph Norton

Hi:

Thanks a lot.

JFW seems to get stuck at 79 per cent.

Thanks again!

[...]

It will get stuck, unless you switch to “Read raw print stream”.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...