Topics

JAWS 2018 - Does it have the equivalent of NVDA's "Focus Highlight" Add-On?

As the very odd man out being sighted but using screen readers for experimenting and figuring out issues, it is often difficult to know where they have focus at the moment, particularly if the object that focus is not visible on the screen and there is no attempt to scroll the screen to follow where the virtual cursor has focus.

NVDA has an add-on that causes various colors and line styles to outline the object that has screen reader focus and keeps the virtual cursor and its corresponding on-screen focused object in sync.

This can be very, very helpful for me.  It was my understanding that JAWS 2018 and later were to have either a built in feature or scripting that would produce the same result, or something very similar to it.  I have yet to find that if it does exist.

This seems like as good a place to ask as any before resorting to VFO technical support.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Jason White

JAWS does have this feature, and it’s supposed to work by default in Windows 10. See the “visual tracking” discussion at
https://www.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/JAWS/Jaws18Features

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 19:18
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: JAWS 2018 - Does it have the equivalent of NVDA's "Focus Highlight" Add-On?

[...]

           I appreciate the response.  If only all of my clients were as up-to-date with their version of Windows as their version of JAWS.  I need to dig in a bit and how (or if) this can be activated under Windows 7, as I have a few clients who are still using Windows 7.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back