Firefox extended support release

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

Hello all,

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Is that the whole extent of the message you are getting? It doesn’t sound like it’s telling you to do anything. Do you use firefox already? What version?

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

I checked on my desktop and Firefox is there but I cannot tell what version it is.

The whole message says “Display of tab content has been disabled. Update your screenreader software or switch to Firefox extended support release.”

My laptop is set to automatically do updates, so I don’t know what the problem is.

Thanks.

Marilyn

Is that the whole extent of the message you are getting? It doesn’t sound like it’s telling you to do anything. Do you use firefox already? What version?

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Firefox is your default web browser it sounds like. You didn’t say, but it sounds like  you are using an old(er) version of JAWS. This won’t work with any of the new Firefox versions, including the extended support release as of a week or two ago. You’ll have to either upgrade JAWS, use a different screen-reader, or use a different browser.

I like Firefox a lot and want to continue using it, but at present there is a bug in JAWS 2018 that causes it to hang fairly often. Apparently this may be fixed soon.

Is that the whole extent of the message you are getting? It doesn’t sound like it’s telling you to do anything. Do you use firefox already? What version?

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Marilyn. The problem is that whichever version of Firefox you had previously, it updated automatically, and, because you don’t have JAWS 2018, Firefox 62.0 will not work with your version of JAWS.

The only thing to do is to download an earlier version of Firefox and, after installing it, make sure you disable automatic updating of Firefox. This takes a few steps to make sure it doesn’t update.

If you are interested, Write back. I’ll have you call me, and I’ll also walk you through the process of disabling any future updates.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Is that the whole extent of the message you are getting? It doesn’t sound like it’s telling you to do anything. Do you use firefox already? What version?

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hey Bill.

You seem to know what you’re talking about in this group and so I don’t want to come off as overly critical….

But are you sure helping people to do this is really a worthy cause? At least, without some important caveats?

Mozilla themselves do not recommend doing this. Version 52 won’t even be receiving security updates anymore. I suppose it’s all right, so long as people understand that it should be only a temporary measure til they get around to switching to a different course.

Is that the whole extent of the message you are getting? It doesn’t sound like it’s telling you to do anything. Do you use firefox already? What version?

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn

Richard Turner

Marilyn,
Bill hit the nail on the head. Also, having Windows set to do automatic updates, will only update Windows, not your applications.
HTH,
Richard

"The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment." - Dorothy Nevill

[Sent from my little hand-held computer]

On Sep 15, 2018, at 3:44 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, I did this for a number of years. I use Eset NOD32 as my antivirus, and I turned off all the threat measures in Firefox. I don’t need multilayers of protection, as long as my antivirus and firewall are working and up-to-date.

If I were going to help someone do this, I would give them caveats, but many people don’t want to pay for another version of JAWS, and may want to stay with their same browser.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Fair enough. But when you have browsers becoming unsupported and going further “out-of-date”, often various elements of the web simply no longer work right. We’re seeing this already with Internet Explorer, even though technically it *is* still supported by Microsoft. There are also security holes in the browsers themselves that, once discovered, literally need to be patched even though they never bothered anybody until said discovery. I know Mozilla was just alerted to one they deemed “critical” just the other week. I know everyone can be a bit alarmist about computer security at times, and I know updates can be a pain, but I think the web browser is one piece of software I would like to keep current, and would especially advise those who might not be quite as savvy as others that they should probably do this.

I totally understand not wanting to pay for JAWS updates. It is unfortunate that FS didn’t backport Firefox Quantum support to at least JAWS 18, since they did so with Edge support. But there are alternatives. NVDA for instance works great with Firefox today. I did pay for a JAWS upgrade and I’m still not happy with JAWS Firefox support, as there’s a bug that causes it to keep crashing on at least some of our machines.

[...]

Marty Hutchings

Bill,  You and others on this group site helped me solv this same problem just last week.  I do thank you for that.  I had to unplug my computer from my router after I reinstalled Firefox 52, so it couldn’t automatically update itself to version 60.  I then uninstalled the Mozilla maintainance, turned off automatic updates and went into the mozilla folder on C/Program Files and deleted the 2 Update files.  After plugging my computer back into my router, everything works fine now except that every time I open Firefox now I get a pop up message that Firefox has found an update and I should install it.  I just close it and go on.

Love in Christ
Marty

Is that the whole extent of the message you are getting? It doesn’t sound like it’s telling you to do anything. Do you use firefox already? What version?

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn

paul lemm

Hi Bill,

I had the same issue the other day ,I’m only running  jaws 18, so looks like that’s what the issue must be. In all fairness  I actually use chrome as my main browser, but use Firefox as a backup. I should be able to find and download an older version of Firefox and work out how to prevent it updating, but just wanted to check which version of Firefox I would be looking to download that would still work with jaws 18. Can you confirm which version I’m looking for? As for the security  side of everything, I completely understand risks of not using the most up to date browser and I’m fine with that side of things, especially  since I really only use Firefox as a backup option as I mentioned previously.

Paul

[...]

You want Firefox 52, ESR.

Download Firefox 52 ESR, 32-bit US English

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Paul,  How does Crome work with JAWS 18?  I am using Firefox version 52 and JAWS 18 and it works, but I have run into problems with some web pages and want a different browser and you say that you use Crome as your main browser with Firefox as a back up.

Love in Christ
Marty

[...]

Much appreciated for sending the link.

Paul

[...]

Hi Marty,

Chrome actually works really well with jaws 18, I haven’t had any issues with it at all. I also find chrome a lot faster than most other browsers, which is one of the main reasons I use it.

Paul

[...]

Paul,  I have installed Chrome and you are right, it is much faster.  I wish that I had discovered this a while ago and had all of that time back that I spent waiting for Firefox to download pages.

[...]

Andrew J. LaPointe

    Hi, I am using windows 7 with jaws 13.  Would I be able to use Chrome as a browser??  I am using firefox at the time but, constantly telling that it is  outdated.  I think that it would cost me a bundle to upgrade to windows 10 and jaws to what ever it is at this time.  Can someone give me some suggestions?  Thanks so much, Andy and Shubert

Sent: Monday, September 17, 2018 8:04 AM

[...]

Mario

you can use Chrome on Windows 7 but JAWS 13 is not likely to work with
Chrome. JAWS 2018 is compatible with Chrome. Alternatively, you can try
NVDA and Chrome if you're not able to upgrade to JAWS 2018.

Chrome actually works really well with jaws 18, I haven’t had any issues
with it at all. I also find chrome a lot faster than most other
browsers, which is one of the main reasons I use it.

**

**

*Paul*

**

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com <mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>

Is that the whole extent of the message you are getting? It doesn’t
sound like it’s telling you to do anything. Do you use firefox already?
What version?

Yesterday I had no problems with opening a link in the body of certain
emails, but now I’m getting a prompt that says the link cannot open and
I should do the following: “Firefox extended support release.”

What does this mean? How would I go about doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Marilyn

ratshtron

would happen to have a direct link to download crome? thanks.

<mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I checked on my desktop and Firefox is there but
I cannot tell what version it is.

The whole message says “Display of tab content
has been disabled. Update your screenreader
software or switch to Firefox extended support release.â€