Protected view/Can't read email attachment

Laura Richardson

Hello,

I received an email with three attachments …… they are word docs, not PDF.  When I open the attachment Jaws says “protected view” and I’m unable to read the document.  Could somebody please help?  It is very important and urgent that I read these attachments.  I’m using Jaws 18, Windows 10 and Outlook 2016.

Laura

Marianne Denning

Hit F6 and you will get a message to be where of emails. Tab one time to enable editing and hit the enter key.

On Sep 8, 2018, at 6:42 PM, Laura Richardson <laurakr65@...> wrote:

Hello,

I received an email with three attachments …… they are word docs, not PDF.  When I open the attachment Jaws says “protected view” and I’m unable to read the document.  Could somebody please help?  It is very important and urgent that I read these attachments.  I’m using Jaws 18, Windows 10 and Outlook 2016.

Laura

Alan Robbins

Laura,

Don’t have anything here now but seems I remember once opened hitting F6 key would give you a choice to select open or read. Normally I would not throw an idea I couldn’t test but you are saying urgent.

Al

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 6:42 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Protected view/Can't read email attachment

Hello,

Laura

Albert Rizzi

Do you have kersweil?

Hello,

Laura

Laura Richardson

I pressed F6 and nothing happened …… I also pressed tab and nothing happened …… Still can’t read the attachment.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 5:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Protected view/Can't read email attachment

Hit F6 and you will get a message to be where of emails. Tab one time to enable editing and hit the enter key.

Hello,

Laura

Laura Richardson

Al,

Thanks for responding …… it is quite urgent.  I tried F6 and nothing happened …… Still can’t read the attachment.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 5:49 PM

Laura,

Don’t have anything here now but seems I remember once opened hitting F6 key would give you a choice to select open or read. Normally I would not throw an idea I couldn’t test but you are saying urgent.

Al

Hello,

Laura

Laura Richardson

No …… I use Open Book.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Albert Rizzi
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 5:45 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; jfw@groups.io

Do you have kersweil?

Hello,

Laura

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Lora. If you want to read your attachments, call me at:

714-835-6295. I will walk you through saving and reading your attachments.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 4:18 PM

No …… I use Open Book.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Albert Rizzi
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 5:45 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; jfw@groups.io

Do you have kersweil?

Hello,

Laura

Mario

Laura, press alt, then f, then i, and finally e. this should allow you
to read/edit the document.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Saturday, Sep 8, 2018 6:42 PM EST

Hello,

I received an email with three attachments …… they are word docs, not
PDF.  When I open the attachment Jaws says “protected view” and I’m
unable to read the document.  Could somebody please help?  It is very
important and urgent that I read these attachments.  I’m using Jaws 18,
Windows 10 and Outlook 2016.

Laura

ely.r@...

Laura,

If the attachment is open in MS Word, that program protects you from opening a document sent to you by email. Because it is protected as screen reader does not have access to the text. To remove that protected status,

Press alt + F to open the file menu.

Arrow down to Info.

Right arrow until you find document status which will show the file as protected and press enter. That removes the protection and you should be able to read its contents.

Rick

Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 7:15 PM

I pressed F6 and nothing happened …… I also pressed tab and nothing happened …… Still can’t read the attachment.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marianne Denning
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 5:48 PM

Hello,

Laura

Barbara Black

Hi-

For any Word or Excel attachment, they will first open in protected view.  If you press F6 twice, you will hear something like “files from the internet can contain viruses. Do you want to enable editing?” There will be a yes button and you press that – the document will then be readable.  (Sometimes it will say this on the first press of F6 but it seems to me that is usually the second time I press F6.

Hope this helps

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2018 6:42 PM

Hello,

Laura

One of the first things I do for my clients who are screen reader users is to remove the loathsome "Protected View" default from MS-Office programs.  It's the second thing I do for my sighted clients.

This is an anachronism and a hold over from the days before virtually every antivirus/security suite in existence scans attachments being downloaded as a part of that process.

If you'd like to do the same:
                      --

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back