PDF file automatically goes into Edge

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

Marianne Denning

You have to go in and set Adobe as your default pdf reader.

Christopher Zeigler

Hello to set interview reader is the default viewer four PDF go to settings on your start menu then select apps then select set file types by app or it might say select click on that or select it signed a w reader on the list then hit set as default you also might want to look in the settings while you're in default apps area and see if there's any way to change it there as well.
One other thing you can do if you can find the PDF in question selected and press Alt Enter that will take you to the file property dialog box hit choose on the general tab that will bring up a list of suggested apps select Adobe Reader on that and then hit okay or and then close the dialog box all should go well with that.
I hope this helps
Chris

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 4:06 PM Marianne Denning <marianne@...> wrote:

You have to go in and set Adobe as your default pdf reader.

Steve Nutt

Hi Kevin,

Firstly press your Windows key, then type Default Programs and press enter.

Now tab around until you hear PDF then Edge, which will be a button.  Press space on it, and change it with up and down arrows to Acrobat Reader DC.

Now any PDF file will open in DC.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Sent: 05 September 2018 20:56
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: PDF file automatically goes into Edge

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

Van Lant, Robin

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:40 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: PDF file automatically goes into Edge

Hi Kevin,

Now tab around until you hear PDF then Edge, which will be a button.  Press space on it, and change it with up and down arrows to Acrobat Reader DC.

All the best

Steve

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Robin,

I don't want to wear out my Tab key navigating that long list of file types!  LOL  Do you know of a quicker way of navigating that list of file types?  If so, would please share?!  Thank you very much.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:46 AM

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe. 

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

Mike,

I thought I had used page down, but I just tried that and, although I can see that the screen is moving up, focus does not seem to change. So, just hold down your tab key for several seconds, then stop to check where you are.  The items are in alphabetical order, so you can just keep holding down the tab key in short spurts until you get to the “P” section. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 1:31 PM

Hi Robin,

I don't want to wear out my Tab key navigating that long list of file types!  LOL  Do you know of a quicker way of navigating that list of file types?  If so, would please share?!  Thank you very much.

Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Randy Meyer

I am setting up a new computer and just made this adjustment myself.  I agree with Robin, it is a very long list you have to work through before you find .pdf but it is there.  Once you find it making the change is easy.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 10:47 AM

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Robin,

I've tried that, but no go!  Is there a setting that I should change to make the navigation move faster when holding down the Tab key?  Thanks much.
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 3:26 PM

Mike,

I thought I had used page down, but I just tried that and, although I can see that the screen is moving up, focus does not seem to change. So, just hold down your tab key for several seconds, then stop to check where you are.  The items are in alphabetical order, so you can just keep holding down the tab key in short spurts until you get to the “P” section. 

Hi Robin,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Randy,

Using the Set Defaults by App link made this much easier.  I didn't have to navigate the long list of file types to set Adobe as my default PDF reader.
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 4:38 PM

I am setting up a new computer and just made this adjustment myself.  I agree with Robin, it is a very long list you have to work through before you find .pdf but it is there.  Once you find it making the change is easy.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Robin,

Okay, using NVDA and holding down the Tab key navigates that file types list much faster!  Wish Jaws would do this!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Mike,

Hi Robin,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Van Lant, Robin

Mike,

Holding the tab key with JAWS worked for me.  I have not heard of the key repeat adjustment you also made.  Interesting to think about what other purposes that option has. 

Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:21 PM

Hi Robin,

Okay, using NVDA and holding down the Tab key navigates that file types list much faster!  Wish Jaws would do this!

Sent from my iBarstool.

Mike,

Hi Robin,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Robin,

Okay, I found that you can fast forward through the, Choose default apps by file type link, if you turn Key Repeat on. 
1. To do this, after the file types list is loaded up open the Settings Center with, Jaws Key + 6 on the number row, and if you get a new configuration
message select the, Okay, option and press the spacebar. Arrow down to, User closed, and right arrow to open.

2. Down arrow to, Key Repeat not checked, and press the spacebar to check this.

3. Tab to, Okay, press enter to save and close.  Now if you hold the Tab key down it will fast forward through this long list of file types.
It's funny listening to Jaws fast forward through this long files type list because it sounds like fast forwarding a cassette tape.  LOL 
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Friday, September 07, 2018 8:44 AM

Mike,

Holding the tab key with JAWS worked for me.  I have not heard of the key repeat adjustment you also made.  Interesting to think about what other purposes that option has. 

Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:21 PM

Hi Robin,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Mike,

Hi Robin,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Mike,

I went to set default app. There was nothing to set PDF file reader. I’m using Windows 10.

Cheers,

Kevin

Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2018 6:45 PM

Hi Randy,

Using the Set Defaults by App link made this much easier.  I didn't have to navigate the long list of file types to set Adobe as my default PDF reader.

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Kevin. In your search box, type:

This should bring up a category called:

Default app settings, System settings

Press ENTER on that.

Now TAB past all the apps, and even past Set Defaults by Filetype, and past Set Defaults by Protocol. Then there should be a category like:

Set defaults by app Link

Press ENTER there, and you should have a list of apps you can arrow through. If you have Adobe Reader DC installed, it should be in that list, and you can make it the default.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Sent: Friday, September 7, 2018 7:15 PM

Mike,

I went to set default app. There was nothing to set PDF file reader. I’m using Windows 10.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Randy,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Kevin,

In case you didn’t see it, I just replied to another message about this and descfribe a 3-step process which works fine for me to select Adobe ACrobat for PDF files, look for it and see if that works for you.

Mike,

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Randy,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Hi Kevin,

All the best

Steve

Sieghard,

That was on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader User's Group.  Here's the URL to that message:  https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/message/27370
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Is there a way to do this in Windows 7?

Thanks.

Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2018 12:23 AM

Hi, Kevin. In your search box, type:

This should bring up a category called:

Default app settings, System settings

Press ENTER on that.

Now TAB past all the apps, and even past Set Defaults by Filetype, and past Set Defaults by Protocol. Then there should be a category like:

Set defaults by app Link

Press ENTER there, and you should have a list of apps you can arrow through. If you have Adobe Reader DC installed, it should be in that list, and you can make it the default.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com<mailto:billwhite92701@dslextreme.com>

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers

Mike,

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Randy,

Using the Set Defaults by App link made this much easier. I didn't have to navigate the long list of file types to set Adobe as my default PDF reader.
Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.
To: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>

I am setting up a new computer and just made this adjustment myself. I agree with Robin, it is a very long list you have to work through before you find .pdf but it is there. Once you find it making the change is easy.

From: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too. I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types. I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe.

From: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt

Hi Kevin,

Now tab around until you hear PDF then Edge, which will be a button. Press space on it, and change it with up and down arrows to Acrobat Reader DC.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io> <main@jfw.groups.io<mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
To: jfw@groups.io<mailto:jfw@groups.io>

send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND wrote:
Yes.  Under Control Panel, I believe the item is Default Programs.  I don't have a Win7 machine to check at the moment, but there is definitely a control panel item for setting the Default Programs for specific file types.

I also believe that the "quick trick" that Sieghard mentioned also works under Windows 7, and it's much easier and faster.

--

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

Marianne Denning

Are usually type default into the search box and it shows up very quickly.

On Sep 8, 2018, at 12:07 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND wrote:
Yes.  Under Control Panel, I believe the item is Default Programs.  I don't have a Win7 machine to check at the moment, but there is definitely a control panel item for setting the Default Programs for specific file types.

I also believe that the "quick trick" that Sieghard mentioned also works under Windows 7, and it's much easier and faster.

--