PDF file automatically goes into Edge

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

Marianne Denning

You have to go in and set Adobe as your default pdf reader.

Christopher Zeigler

Hello to set interview reader is the default viewer four PDF go to settings on your start menu then select apps then select set file types by app or it might say select click on that or select it signed a w reader on the list then hit set as default you also might want to look in the settings while you're in default apps area and see if there's any way to change it there as well.
One other thing you can do if you can find the PDF in question selected and press Alt Enter that will take you to the file property dialog box hit choose on the general tab that will bring up a list of suggested apps select Adobe Reader on that and then hit okay or and then close the dialog box all should go well with that.
I hope this helps
Chris

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018, 4:06 PM Marianne Denning <marianne@...> wrote:

You have to go in and set Adobe as your default pdf reader.

Steve Nutt

Hi Kevin,

Firstly press your Windows key, then type Default Programs and press enter.

Now tab around until you hear PDF then Edge, which will be a button.  Press space on it, and change it with up and down arrows to Acrobat Reader DC.

Now any PDF file will open in DC.

All the best

Steve

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

Van Lant, Robin

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe.

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Robin,

I don't want to wear out my Tab key navigating that long list of file types!  LOL  Do you know of a quicker way of navigating that list of file types?  If so, would please share?!  Thank you very much.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:46 AM

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe.

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Van Lant, Robin

Mike,

I thought I had used page down, but I just tried that and, although I can see that the screen is moving up, focus does not seem to change. So, just hold down your tab key for several seconds, then stop to check where you are.  The items are in alphabetical order, so you can just keep holding down the tab key in short spurts until you get to the “P” section.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:46 AM

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe.

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Randy Meyer

I am setting up a new computer and just made this adjustment myself.  I agree with Robin, it is a very long list you have to work through before you find .pdf but it is there.  Once you find it making the change is easy.

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe.

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Robin,

I've tried that, but no go!  Is there a setting that I should change to make the navigation move faster when holding down the Tab key?  Thanks much.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 3:26 PM

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:46 AM

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe.

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Randy,

Using the Set Defaults by App link made this much easier.  I didn't have to navigate the long list of file types to set Adobe as my default PDF reader.
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 4:38 PM

[...]

Okay, using NVDA and holding down the Tab key navigates that file types list much faster!  Wish Jaws would do this!
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 3:26 PM

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:46 AM

I followed Steve’s instructions, as I needed to make this change, too.  I did not find PDF in the initial list of default app settings, but there was a link to other file types.  I clicked that and was able to move down the long list of alphabetical file types and click that button to make the adjustment to Adobe.

Hello, I downloaded a PDF file from my bank’s web site. I put my cursor on the file and pressed enter. It opens the file into Microsoft Edge. Jaws cannot read anything. I even put the cursor on the file and used the Jaws OCR function and that didn’t work. Do I need to turn on or off certain settings? OR is there a way for it to go into Acrobat reader?

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Van Lant, Robin

Mike,

Holding the tab key with JAWS worked for me.  I have not heard of the key repeat adjustment you also made.  Interesting to think about what other purposes that option has.

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 3:26 PM

Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2018 8:46 AM