Jaws command read Outlook message number

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Tom,

Try the keystroke, Insert / Jaws key + Page down, to read the status line to see if that'll getter done.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Actually, Jaws Key+Tab should do it, Jaws Key+Page Down will tell you how many messages you have in your Inbox or mailbox where you are, but it won’t tell you which one you are on. Here is an example, this is the Inbox of the mail account I use for the Viphone list, this is what I get with Jaws Key+NumPad Page Down:

Items in View 4

Unread Items in View 1

Progress All folders are up to date.

Connectivity to your server. Connected to: Microsoft Exchange

Zoom 100%

Now if I actually arrow down that list there are only 3 lines/items, but one is a conversation with two messages, actually, this one, Tom’s question and Mike’s message, Outlook gives you total number of messages including those in collapsed conversations.

Now, here is Jaws speech history if I go to the very bottom of my Inbox, on Message 4 so to tspeak:

Rick Miller

Is This An Office or a JAWS Problem?

Mon 8/27/2018 9:01 PM

69 KB

4 of 4

Regards,

Sieghard

Try the keystroke, Insert / Jaws key + Page down, to read the status line to see if that'll getter done.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi,

Thanks to those who answered my query regarding number of messages in the Outlook inbox.

Insert tab seems to give me what I require.

Thanks

Tom

Try the keystroke, Insert / Jaws key + Page down, to read the status line to see if that'll getter done.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Try reading the status bar, with JAWS Key+Page Down on the number pad.

All the best

Steve

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Steve Nutt

Hi,

JAWS Keey+Tab doesn’t work for me in outlook 2016, all it reads to me is the current message as if I’d pressed an arrow key.

All the best
Steve

Try the keystroke, Insert / Jaws key + Page down, to read the status line to see if that'll getter done.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Don Mauck

Does JAWSKey+PageDown work?

JAWS Keey+Tab doesn’t work for me in outlook 2016, all it reads to me is the current message as if I’d pressed an arrow key.

All the best
Steve

Try the keystroke, Insert / Jaws key + Page down, to read the status line to see if that'll getter done.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Thanks for your reply Steve.

Under Outlook 2013, all I get when pressing insert numpad page down is Jaws saying something about filter applied.  Pressing insert Tab does give the number of the current message as well as the total number of messages.  Maybe Outlook 13 works differently from version 16.

Tom

Try reading the status bar, with JAWS Key+Page Down on the number pad.

All the best

Steve

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Make sure your Window is maximized, I am using OUtlook 2016 and both Jaws Key+Tab and Jaws Key+Page Down work and say what they are supposed to say.

Under Outlook 2013, all I get when pressing insert numpad page down is Jaws saying something about filter applied.  Pressing insert Tab does give the number of the current message as well as the total number of messages.  Maybe Outlook 13 works differently from version 16.

Tom

Try reading the status bar, with JAWS Key+Page Down on the number pad.

All the best

Steve

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Hi Sieghard,

Yes, the Outlook 13 screen is maximized but insert numpad page down only gives some info about a filter.  Maybe Outlook 13 is different from version 16.  But insert tab gives me the info required so insert tab it will be.

[...]

Does for me.

All the best

Steve

JAWS Keey+Tab doesn’t work for me in outlook 2016, all it reads to me is the current message as if I’d pressed an arrow key.

All the best
Steve

Try the keystroke, Insert / Jaws key + Page down, to read the status line to see if that'll getter done.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Using: Latest Jaws 2018, W10 Home 64 bit, Outlook 13

Is there a Jaws  command which will read  the current message number and or the total number of messages  being displayed in the Outlook 2013 inbox?

Thanks

Tom

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Press F6, until you hear Clear Filters, then press space on it.

Now you’ll get that info with JAWS+Page Down.

[...]

JAWS+Tab just does effectively a Say Line for me.

All the best

Steve

[...]

In Ourtlook for me it does almost the same, a say line also speaks the number of the message I am on, just now when I did a say line it read your message, sender, subject etc. and then at the end it said “13 of 15”.

The only difference with Jaws+Tab is that is says “List box” before it starts speaking your name, the subject and all that.

[...]

This works for Outlook 13 and so will use this method in future.

Cheers

[...]

In outlook 2016, Say Line works, but doesn’t give you the number of messages or the number of the message you’re on.

All the best

Steve

[...]

It does for me using Office 2016 via Office 365, here is the Jaws Speech History for a say line on your message:

Steve Nutt

Jaws command read Outlook message number

Mon 9/3/2018 1:59 AM

70 KB

23 of 23

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

I get all that, except the number.  Same Office.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Ah, works now.  It seems a bit inconsistent for me.

All the best

Steve

[...]

In your example below, the say line command gave the number of messages as 23 of 23 which could be incorrect.

If I press either insert plus numpad 8 or insert tab in Outlook 13, Jaws says 23 of 23 but using shift tab reads 51 messages still available.

I was curious why the first two above commands always showed as there being 23 messages although a number had been read. These commands may be correct when the total gets below 23.