Creating Webpage Desktop Shortcuts for Any Web Browser

See this article on intowindows.com entitled, How To Create Website Shortcut On Desktop In Windows 10, which gives you alternative methods for creating desktop shortcuts to websites that are applicable no matter what web browser you're using.  They're applicable on earlier versions of Windows, too.

If your default web browser is something other than Internet Explorer (and it should be) you can still use the trick of using IE to view the webpage you want the shortcut for then invoke it's Create Shortcut function.  The shortcut on the desktop will open in whatever your chosen default web browser happens to be, as what's created is nothing more than a shortcut to a web page and those are always opened by the default web browser you've chosen.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

mike mcglashon

I think the is sue really:

That, if there is a shortcut on the desktop,

We should be able to “right click” and select “open with” and select the program, (including the browser desired);

I don’t believe that this article addresses that functionality;

Please advise as necessary;

Mike m.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 2:37 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Creating Webpage Desktop Shortcuts for Any Web Browser

See this article on intowindows.com entitled, How To Create Website Shortcut On Desktop In Windows 10, which gives you alternative methods for creating desktop shortcuts to websites that are applicable no matter what web browser you're using.  They're applicable on earlier versions of Windows, too.

If your default web browser is something other than Internet Explorer (and it should be) you can still use the trick of using IE to view the webpage you want the shortcut for then invoke it's Create Shortcut function.  The shortcut on the desktop will open in whatever your chosen default web browser happens to be, as what's created is nothing more than a shortcut to a web page and those are always opened by the default web browser you've chosen.
--

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

That's not how desktop shortcuts, except those to files, have ever worked.

You can't right click on the shortcut to a program and say, "Open with," something else.

I have never heard of anyone, prior to now, wanting web URLs to open with anything other than the web browser of their choosing.  If they want to use another one then they can open the shortcut itself, copy the URL, open the other web browser wanted at the moment, and paste it in.

Web desktop shortcuts have always opened with the default web browser from day one.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

mike mcglashon

I know, it sucks,

They should have had the foresight to do those the same way they did files;

Typical short sightedness by software developers;

Bet they don’t screw up the billing though;

That always works like its supposed too;

Mike mcglashon

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 2:59 PM
Subject: Re: Creating Webpage Desktop Shortcuts for Any Web Browser

You can't right click on the shortcut to a program and say, "Open with," something else.

I have never heard of anyone, prior to now, wanting web URLs to open with anything other than the web browser of their choosing.  If they want to use another one then they can open the shortcut itself, copy the URL, open the other web browser wanted at the moment, and paste it in.

Web desktop shortcuts have always opened with the default web browser from day one.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

It was explained elsewhere (although I don’t remember now if it was on this list or the other one) how to get a shortcut to open in whatever browser you want.

Frankly I don’t see the big deal. Why not just use browser bookmarks? That’s what they’re there for after all. I know everyone likes doing things in different ways and it’s one of the nice things about Windows that you can. Still, accessing stuff from the desktop never seemed that efficient or worthwhile to me.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of mike mcglashon
Sent: August 25, 2018 3:15 PM

I know, it sucks,

Mike mcglashon

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. How do you know when you are on the “page icon, left of the address bar? I have never been able to locate this icon, even using the JAWS cursor.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 11:59 AM

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Mario

one instance: if there's a website that works better with a browser that
is not set as the default browser, a copy of the desktop shortcut that
launches that browser can be copied to the clipboard and then pasted on
to the desktop, open it's properties and append the website URL to the
end of the path that launches the executable for the browser, and the
name of the shortcut needs to be renamed to something that reflects
which browser is opening the website, for example Sample Poems via
Chrome, or Kitty Land via Firefox.

------- Original Message --------
Sent: Saturday, Aug 25, 2018 2:58 PM EST
Subject: Creating Webpage Desktop Shortcuts for Any Web Browser

You can't right click on the shortcut to a program and say, "Open with,"
something else.

I have never heard of anyone, prior to now, wanting web URLs to open
with anything other than the web browser of their choosing.  If they
want to use another one then they can open the shortcut itself, copy the
URL, open the other web browser wanted at the moment, and paste it in.

Web desktop shortcuts have always opened with the default web browser
from day one.
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in
the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Mario,

Absolutely true and correct.  There is the occasional website that not only plays with a given screen reader better than another, but a given web browser better than another, and one can always force its opening via shortcut by specifying the command line arguments for the browser preferred for the exception instance.

I use bookmarks a lot more than desktop shortcuts when it comes to web-related material, but there have been occasions where I have put a web shortcut on the desktop.

These days I don't use bookmarks except for Firefox and even then only for collections of links that I want to open all at once in their own tabs without having to don them one by one.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 03:39 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Brian. How do you know when you are on the “page icon, left of the address bar? I have never been able to locate this icon, even using the JAWS cursor.
Bill,

It's very simple to get to, really, but what gets announced when you land on it varies depending on the browser you're using and, potentially, add-ons as well.  Regardless of what's announced, this is how you get there if you have focus on a web browser window:

1. Hit ALT + D to navigate to the address box/URL box.
  2. Hit SHIFT + TAB to move to the most immediately prior object that allows interaction, which is this button.

You definitely still have to use the equivalent of drag and drop, so the web browser cannot be maximized and you must have a part of your desktop visible as the drop zone, at least when doing it the conventional way.  I do not know whether doing a screen reader left mouse lock for dragging, then bringing up the desktop afterward, then doing the drop might work for a screen reader user.  If you decide to give the latter a whirl please report back.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi, Brian. I have to do more experimentation with this. Here is what I got when I tried to drag and drop this button.

When I did the drag:

To drag and drop, place the JAWS, PC or touch cursor in the drop location and press Control+JAWSKey+NumPadSlash.

When I tried to do the drop:

The object to be dragged was not found. This may be because it has been covered by another window.

The drag and drop action has been canceled.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:03 PM

Bill,

It's very simple to get to, really, but what gets announced when you land on it varies depending on the browser you're using and, potentially, add-ons as well.  Regardless of what's announced, this is how you get there if you have focus on a web browser window:

2. Hit SHIFT + TAB to move to the most immediately prior object that allows interaction, which is this button.

You definitely still have to use the equivalent of drag and drop, so the web browser cannot be maximized and you must have a part of your desktop visible as the drop zone, at least when doing it the conventional way.  I do not know whether doing a screen reader left mouse lock for dragging, then bringing up the desktop afterward, then doing the drop might work for a screen reader user.  If you decide to give the latter a whirl please report back.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Bill,

If you are not successful, and you'd like "a pair of eyes" on just what's happening let me know.  I am always curious as to how and whether a solution can be found for simulated drag and drop using a screen reader for a given task, as it seems to have spotty success overall, at best.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi, Brian. Here’s what I think is happening. When Firefox is opened in JAWS, it is opened in a “virtual view”. This means that the user is not interacting directly with the screen. Instead, the user is interacting with the contents of a buffer, a virtual screen. I can drag and drop in Internet Explorer, which is not in a “virtual view”, but not in Firefox.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:40 PM

Bill,

If you are not successful, and you'd like "a pair of eyes" on just what's happening let me know.  I am always curious as to how and whether a solution can be found for simulated drag and drop using a screen reader for a given task, as it seems to have spotty success overall, at best.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Bill,

I don't have JAWS to test with, but using NVDA and locking the left mouse button on that "URL Button" doesn't seem to have the desired effect, either.  It seems to grab the screen as a whole.  If I have the screen not maximized, hit the key sequence to lock the left mouse button, and try to move the real mouse the whole Firefox screen moves.

I have always found drag and drop by keyboard to be a very dicey proposition.  That's one of the reasons I like the, "Copy the URL then use create shortcut on the desktop itself" method as it's foolproof for someone trying to do this strictly using the keyboard.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

The information below is not true at all. One can definitely specify which browser opens a website. One needs to modify the path of the shortcut, but it can be done.

JR

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 11:59 AM

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi Mike,

Funny. I agree on the billing point. J Regarding creating shortcuts to webpages using a browser other than the default browser, it can be done as I previously stated, just remember that you must add the path to the browser’s executable first, then add the URL second. Also know that the entire URL must be put in quotes or else the shortcut won’t work.

JR

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:15 PM

I know, it sucks,

Mike mcglashon

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Oops, need to modify my previous message a bit.

Regarding creating shortcuts to webpages other than the default browser…

One must first include the path to the browser in quotes then add the URL to the webpage. Here’s an example:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" https://www.freedomscientific.com/Downloads/JAWS

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 5:50 PM

Hi Mike,

Funny. I agree on the billing point. J Regarding creating shortcuts to webpages using a browser other than the default browser, it can be done as I previously stated, just remember that you must add the path to the browser’s executable first, then add the URL second. Also know that the entire URL must be put in quotes or else the shortcut won’t work.

JR

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 12:15 PM

I know, it sucks,

Mike mcglashon

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi Brian,

Gave your suggestion below a try, but it didn’t seem to work using JAWS drag and drop. Gotta admit, I didn’t put too much effort into it because the desktop shortcut method takes about a minute, and I don’t really use shortcuts like this in my everyday computing.

JR

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:03 PM

Bill,

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi Bill,

Both Internet Explorer and Firefox are rendered by JAWS using a virtual browser. In fact, I can drag and drop objects on the IRS webpage and alike using Firefox, but  its much trickier to do using IE.

Either way, drag and drop is a bit finicky, but it’s awesome when it works. One has greatest probability of success when dragging and dropping on the same screen.

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 2:24 PM

Hi, Brian. Here’s what I think is happening. When Firefox is opened in JAWS, it is opened in a “virtual view”. This means that the user is not interacting directly with the screen. Instead, the user is interacting with the contents of a buffer, a virtual screen. I can drag and drop in Internet Explorer, which is not in a “virtual view”, but not in Firefox.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 1:40 PM

Bill,

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 08:45 PM, Jeremy wrote:
The information below is not true at all.
It is true and it describes the default behavior.  I've already discussed, as have others, including yourself, how to make specific shortcuts use specific browsers to open them.  This, however, must be forced by adding the full path to the browser executable you wish to use as part and parcel of the shortcut.

If you have a shortcut that is nothing but a URL it will always use whatever browser is defined as the default browser on that Windows system to open.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

No, you emphatically stated one could not create a desktop shortcut to a webpage using a specific browser of one’s choice, and I stated it can in fact be done. As I read my email for the day, you came to this realization once Mario posted his message on the matter.

Here is your previous post:

“That's not how desktop shortcuts, except those to files, have ever worked.

I have never heard of anyone, prior to now, wanting web URLs to open with anything other than the web browser of their choosing.  If they want to use another one then they can open the shortcut itself, copy the URL, open the other web browser wanted at the moment, and paste it in.”

JR

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2018 6:20 PM

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 08:45 PM, Jeremy wrote:

The information below is not true at all.

It is true and it describes the default behavior.  I've already discussed, as have others, including yourself, how to make specific shortcuts use specific browsers to open them.  This, however, must be forced by adding the full path to the browser executable you wish to use as part and parcel of the shortcut.

If you have a shortcut that is nothing but a URL it will always use whatever browser is defined as the default browser on that Windows system to open.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill