How do you "send shortcut to desktop" in Firefox 52?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I have begun to switch to Firefox 52 from Internet Explorer 11.  I use JAWS 15 under Windows 7.  In IE, when on a webpage you could pull down the file menu and easily send a shortcut to the webpage (i.e., its URL) to the desktop.  In Firefox, what is the best way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Richard

John Covici

Can you shift-f10 when focussed on the URL and in there should be a
send-to menu, where you can do what you want, or in that menu there is
a copy shortcut and maybe you can just create a new one on the
desktop.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 17:17:47 -0400,
Richard B. McDonald wrote:

[1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
Hi!

I have begun to switch to Firefox 52 from Internet Explorer 11. I use JAWS 15 under Windows 7. In IE, when on a webpage you could pull down the file menu and easily send a shortcut to the webpage (i.e., its URL) to the desktop. In
Firefox, what is the best way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Richard

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

dennis

if your using win 7 go to your programs menue. arrow up to mozilla firefox. hit the applications key and arrow up to sendto. you'll find send to desktop in there.if your using win 10 i don't know the answer to that.

On 8/24/2018 4:17 PM, Richard B. McDonald wrote:

Hi!

I have begun to switch to Firefox 52 from Internet Explorer 11.  I use JAWS 15 under Windows 7.  In IE, when on a webpage you could pull down the file menu and easily send a shortcut to the webpage (i.e., its URL) to the desktop.  In Firefox, what is the best way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Richard

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I never thought to do this myself, as I hardly use the desktop for anything, so I had to look it up.

I guess this can be done easily – for mouse users. Seems like it might be more tricky with the keyboard. Mozilla should have a better way. Anyway, see here. Maybe someone else has an idea.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/create-desktop-shortcut-website

Now you should really be able to do this some other way. After all, it’s only a URL.

Any thoughts from other users?

I have begun to switch to Firefox 52 from Internet Explorer 11.  I use JAWS 15 under Windows 7.  In IE, when on a webpage you could pull down the file menu and easily send a shortcut to the webpage (i.e., its URL) to the desktop.  In Firefox, what is the best way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Richard

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hey Dennis.

I believe he’s asking about sending a link to the desktop, so that he can access it from there, and it will open the browser.

if your using win 7 go to your programs menue. arrow up to mozilla firefox. hit the applications key and arrow up to sendto. you'll find send to desktop in there.if your using win 10 i don't know the answer to that.

On 8/24/2018 4:17 PM, Richard B. McDonald wrote:

Hi!

I have begun to switch to Firefox 52 from Internet Explorer 11.  I use JAWS 15 under Windows 7.  In IE, when on a webpage you could pull down the file menu and easily send a shortcut to the webpage (i.e., its URL) to the desktop.  In Firefox, what is the best way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Richard

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I use Chrome 99% of the time, but I just checked and while this drag and drop method explained in the link seems easy enough for sighted users, there does not seem to be an easy way to do this with the keyboard and as a blind user. In Chrome there is a “Create Shortcut” option under “More Tools” but with Firefox it would appear you need to go to the addressbar, copy the link to the clipboard and then manually create a shortcut on the desktop.

I believe he’s asking about sending a link to the desktop, so that he can access it from there, and it will open the browser.

if your using win 7 go to your programs menue. arrow up to mozilla firefox. hit the applications key and arrow up to sendto. you'll find send to desktop in there.if your using win 10 i don't know the answer to that.

On 8/24/2018 4:17 PM, Richard B. McDonald wrote:

Hi!

I have begun to switch to Firefox 52 from Internet Explorer 11.  I use JAWS 15 under Windows 7.  In IE, when on a webpage you could pull down the file menu and easily send a shortcut to the webpage (i.e., its URL) to the desktop.  In Firefox, what is the best way to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Richard

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

I tried this, and it does not directly work.

I guess you need to create some kind of file to place on the desktop; simply copying the url as is tehre, I think, will not work.

I haven’t investigated, but the format of whatever file is saved on the desktop using IE that contains the uRL (and yes, it would be some kind of shortcut file, possibly with extention .lnk?) should be easily replicatable. This means you could simply open notepad, put your url in there using whatever prefix characters are required, and save it to your desktop. But I’m only theorising as I haven’t looked into it much.

I did find this. It’s an add-on for firefox that might add an item to the context menus as they exist in ie. But you’ll have to try it and see.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/savelink/

[...]

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

I believe what is being suggested is the following:

Note: I copied and pasted the following from an item on the JAWS-Users list, sorry I couldn’t give direct credit to the author since he/she is not stated.

Creating a website shortcut on the desktop for Firefox and Chrome

Unlike Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome do not seem to save bookmarks as shortcuts,

instead they seem to be accessed from an HTML file.

Firefox does not appear to have any provision for sending a website shortcut to the Desktop, hence the need for this work-around.

Mozilla Firefox:

If Firefox is your default browser, do the following:

1. Open the webpage you want, and copy the URL to the clipboard.

2. From the Desktop, press control + spacebar to deselect all items on the desktop.

3. Press the applications key or Shift + F10 to open the context menu.

4. Arrow to the "New" sub-menu, and press enter.

5. Arrow to "Shortcut", and press enter.

6. When the shortcut dialogue opens, you will be in an edit field, so paste the URL from the clipboard.

7. Tabb to the next button, and press the spacebar.

8. In this edit field, give your shortcut a name, then tab to finish, and press the spacebar.

You are done.

Note:

If Firefox is not your default browser, then creating the shortcut as outlined above will

result in that site opening in whichever is your default browser.

Browser specific shortcuts:

Note:

When making a website shortcut in this manner you may want to include the browser name in the shortcut name,

so that when you go to that site you will know which browser it is opening in.

Keep in mind, that these are browser specific, so they will open the site in the assigned browser no matter what your default browser is.

If you want a specific webpage to open in a specific browser,  for instance, Internet Explorer is my default,

but I want a specific site to open in Firefox or Chrome, here's what to do:

Mozilla Firefox:

1. Open the webpage you want, and copy the URL to the clipboard.

2. Locate the executable for Firefox, then open the context menu, and choose Desktop create shortcut from the SendTo sub-menu.

3. Go to the Desktop and locate the shortcut you just sent there.

4. Press Alt + Enter to open the properties of the shortcut.

5. In the shortcut dialogue, you will be in an edit field containing the file path  of the executable,

press the end key to move you to the end of the file path.

6. Press the spacebar once, then paste the URL from the clipboard.

7. Tab to the apply button, spacebar that, then tab to the okay button and do the same.

You are done.

Google Chrome:

While on the website you want to create a desktop shortcut for do the following:

1. Press Alt + F for the file menu.

2. Arrow to, "More Tools", and press enter.

3. In the resulting menu choose, "Add to Desktop", and press enter.

4. In the resulting edit field, the shortcut name will appear, you can change this to your liking

then press enter to close the dialogue.

You are done.

Note:

On my system, I noticed when creating a shortcut in Chrome as described above,

that when the page loads, there  is only a context menu.,

however, when creating a browser specific shortcut as outlined above, the standard Chrome menu is available.

Additional Note:

You can further customize any shortcut from within the properties of the shortcut,

such as changing the name, assigning a keystroke, , or opening the site maximized.

HTH

JR

I tried this, and it does not directly work.

I guess you need to create some kind of file to place on the desktop; simply copying the url as is tehre, I think, will not work.

I haven’t investigated, but the format of whatever file is saved on the desktop using IE that contains the uRL (and yes, it would be some kind of shortcut file, possibly with extention .lnk?) should be easily replicatable. This means you could simply open notepad, put your url in there using whatever prefix characters are required, and save it to your desktop. But I’m only theorising as I haven’t looked into it much.

I did find this. It’s an add-on for firefox that might add an item to the context menus as they exist in ie. But you’ll have to try it and see.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/savelink/

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Hey jeremy.

I wasn’t the OP, but that post got me curious about finding a solution to this, and yeah, this should work! I don’t use the desktop for much of anything so it never even occurred to me that you couldn’t do this as easily in FF as you could in iE. Actually as I posted above, for mouse users it’s very easy to drag a URL onto the desktop from the address bar, but, alas, Mozilla hasn’t thought of a convenient way to do this from the keyboard. I did find an add-on though, which, I think, is supposed to add an item to the context menu as it appears in Internet Explorer.

I tried this, and it does not directly work.

I guess you need to create some kind of file to place on the desktop; simply copying the url as is tehre, I think, will not work.

I haven’t investigated, but the format of whatever file is saved on the desktop using IE that contains the uRL (and yes, it would be some kind of shortcut file, possibly with extention .lnk?) should be easily replicatable. This means you could simply open notepad, put your url in there using whatever prefix characters are required, and save it to your desktop. But I’m only theorising as I haven’t looked into it much.

I did find this. It’s an add-on for firefox that might add an item to the context menus as they exist in ie. But you’ll have to try it and see.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/savelink/

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Could you share the name of said add-on?

[...]

I posted the uRL last night, but I did not save it. Sorry. I’ll have to find it again. From the description though it seemed like that is what it was made to do. I encouraged the OP to give it a try.

[...]

Mario

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/savelink/

it appears to only create a "text" file for a shortcut that has the URL
of a website with a URL extension instead of a LNK (what's the
difference?). so the URL will open with the default browser, but how to
make it open with Firefox? I don't see a way, unless someone can layout
the steps using this extension. Jeremy did offer steps that don't rely
on the installation of an extension.

[...]

Hi JM,

Your ad-on suggestion is definitely a good one, but I restrict my Firefox extensions to what is essential or else I’m going to end up turning the very nimble Firefox into Internet Explorer. J In other words, I don’t want to weigh down Firefox with too many extensions.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to research and help us all.

JR