Topics

"Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

While this is not directly JAWS related, the issue of lack of a "coming back from being shut down when using Fast Startup" sound, as well as the lack of the good, old-fashioned shutdown sound, under Windows 10 comes up repeatedly on virtually every screen reader related group I'm participating in.  

I have just created feedback related to both, and here's the click-through link to the Windows 10 Feedback Hub for it (which, of course, only works for Windows 10 users):

If this is an accessibility issue for you, please review this feedback and upvote it so that it will garner more attention.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...>

Hi all,

Because this issue of a startup sound is of great concern to many people on these blindness related lists, all opinions will be given quite a bit of scrutiny, so here goes my opinion. J

One doesn’t really need any sort of confirmation the computer has shut down since one can hear the computer fans and alike no longer spinning, not to mention closing the lid will also insure a laptop is in sleep mode or shut down. One can also tap the keyboard to insure the computer has actually gone into shut down mode. It has not been a problem for me at all, and I’ve been using Windows 10 since day one on my very quiet laptop. I do admit that this issue did bother me at first, and I did all the crazy stuff many have tried including registry hacks that never did work or that Microsoft disabled upon next operating system upgrade.

The following utility did work very, very well and is 100% accessible. This utility will let you know when your computer is turning on and when it is shutting down—it says using the Narrator voice “hello” and “goodbye.” I originally installed it to play a short beep every hour on the hour as well as for automatically maximizing all Windows. This utility has lots of great features, and it is incredibly stable. I believe the software developer is a fellow blind person but nevertheless a very talented programmer. I should also add that I’m using this utility while my laptop is on fast startup.

Stassen - Stascom –

https://is.gd/OUNxjJ

HTH

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:42 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

While this is not directly JAWS related, the issue of lack of a "coming back from being shut down when using Fast Startup" sound, as well as the lack of the good, old-fashioned shutdown sound, under Windows 10 comes up repeatedly on virtually every screen reader related group I'm participating in.  

I have just created feedback related to both, and here's the click-through link to the Windows 10 Feedback Hub for it (which, of course, only works for Windows 10 users):

If this is an accessibility issue for you, please review this feedback and upvote it so that it will garner more attention.
--

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Jeremy,

I couldn't get the link to work no matter how I tried to edit / post / search for it.  Do you have another URL?  Thanks much.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: "Fast Startup" sound akin to Startup Sound, could we get one?

Hi all,

Because this issue of a startup sound is of great concern to many people on these blindness related lists, all opinions will be given quite a bit of scrutiny, so here goes my opinion. J

One doesn’t really need any sort of confirmation the computer has shut down since one can hear the computer fans and alike no longer spinning, not to mention closing the lid will also insure a laptop is in sleep mode or shut down. One can also tap the keyboard to insure the computer has actually gone into shut down mode. It has not been a problem for me at all, and I’ve been using Windows 10 since day one on my very quiet laptop. I do admit that this issue did bother me at first, and I did all the crazy stuff many have tried including registry hacks that never did work or that Microsoft disabled upon next operating system upgrade.

The following utility did work very, very well and is 100% accessible. This utility will let you know when your computer is turning on and when it is shutting down—it says using the Narrator voice “hello” and “goodbye.” I originally installed it to play a short beep every hour on the hour as well as for automatically maximizing all Windows. This utility has lots of great features, and it is incredibly stable. I believe the software developer is a fellow blind person but nevertheless a very talented programmer. I should also add that I’m using this utility while my laptop is on fast startup.

Stassen - Stascom –

HTH

JR

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi Mike,

I pressed enter on my originally sent email message below, and the link worked. Weird it didn’t work for you, but that’s computers for you.:)

Here is the long URL:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:27 PM

Hi Jeremy,

I couldn't get the link to work no matter how I tried to edit / post / search for it.  Do you have another URL?  Thanks much.

Sennt from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Hi all,

Stassen - Stascom –

HTH

JR

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Bob Hicks

Hey Mike, it worked for me.

Have a great day, 73

Bob Hicks, KC8CR

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 3:27 PM

Hi Jeremy,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi all,

Stassen - Stascom –

HTH

JR

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Jeremy,

This one worked with no problem, and I got all the info.  Thank you very much.

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:30 PM

Hi Mike,

I pressed enter on my originally sent email message below, and the link worked. Weird it didn’t work for you, but that’s computers for you.:)

Here is the long URL:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

JR

Hi Jeremy,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi all,

Stassen - Stascom –

HTH

JR

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi Mike,

I pressed enter on the link and the website pened up in Chrome, not sure why it doesn’t for you, but in case it helps I have copied the link after the website opened and I am including it below:

WELCOME TO JACQUES STASSEN's HOME PAGE

Regards,

Sieghard

Hi Jeremy,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi all,

Stassen - Stascom –

HTH

JR

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Sieghard,

I was able to get to the website using another URL that Jeremy posted, but thank you very much for your input.

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:26 PM

Hi Mike,

I pressed enter on the link and the website pened up in Chrome, not sure why it doesn’t for you, but in case it helps I have copied the link after the website opened and I am including it below:

WELCOME TO JACQUES STASSEN's HOME PAGE

Regards,

Sieghard

Hi Jeremy,

Sennt from my iBarstool.

Hi all,

Stassen - Stascom –

HTH

JR

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

As an aside, I have been told that certain security software (and, no, I don't remember which ones) are set up by default these days to consider Tinyurl and similar URLs as suspicious and block them.  That might be what was being experienced by Mike B. with the original URL.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Steve Nutt

Just turn off fast startup, it’s a pain anyway.  Often your on-disk to memory transfer gets corrupted.  It causes more grief than it helps, in my experience.

All the best

Steve

Sent: 22 August 2018 15:42

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

I disagree. Fast Startup is a very useful time-saving feature of Windows. I use it on all my computers, and I’ve never experienced corruption.

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 1:39 AM

Just turn off fast startup, it’s a pain anyway.  Often your on-disk to memory transfer gets corrupted.  It causes more grief than it helps, in my experience.

All the best

Steve

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Alan Robbins

Agreed, if using a traditional mechanical drive. However, if one is using the new solid-state drive the increased time saved is not worth any possible inconvenience. I keep this turned off and all my solid-state drive computers and see virtually no difference in time whether it is enabled or not.

On Aug 24, 2018, at 4:43 AM, Jeremy <jeremy.richards7@...> wrote:

I disagree. Fast Startup is a very useful time-saving feature of Windows. I use it on all my computers, and I’ve never experienced corruption.

JR

All the best

Steve

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

I have a bit of a high-end computer, and I definitely notice a difference when Fast boot is on or off. I can come in and out of shutdown in about as  long as it takes me to lift the lid on my laptop with fast boot on as opposed to about 35 seconds with fast boot off. This feature is also very reliable and stable--I can go for weeks without a restart. I don’t think Microsoft would have spent so much in R&D for this feature to not notice a difference in boot time.  

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 3:39 AM

Agreed, if using a traditional mechanical drive. However, if one is using the new solid-state drive the increased time saved is not worth any possible inconvenience. I keep this turned off and all my solid-state drive computers and see virtually no difference in time whether it is enabled or not.

JR

All the best

Steve

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Alan Robbins

Again, my experience has been different. Maybe I’ll try again but up until now I’ve seen on lists far more issues/problems than enhancements.

Al

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 8:31 AM

I have a bit of a high-end computer, and I definitely notice a difference when Fast boot is on or off. I can come in and out of shutdown in about as  long as it takes me to lift the lid on my laptop with fast boot on as opposed to about 35 seconds with fast boot off. This feature is also very reliable and stable--I can go for weeks without a restart. I don’t think Microsoft would have spent so much in R&D for this feature to not notice a difference in boot time.  

JR

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io

JR

All the best

Steve

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi Allen,

Out of curiosity, what issues has this fast boot caused? The issue I’m most aware of is that some are bent on hearing the Windows start up sound and would gladly sacrifice performance and convenience just to hear that little wav file. J

Thanks,

JR

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 5:48 AM

Again, my experience has been different. Maybe I’ll try again but up until now I’ve seen on lists far more issues/problems than enhancements.

Al

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jeremy
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 8:31 AM

JR

JR

All the best

Steve

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 09:13 AM, Jeremy wrote:
Out of curiosity, what issues has this fast boot caused?
Taken directly from a client report written in November 2015, regarding a Windows 8 machine that was using Fast Startup and where the hibernation file used for same had become corrupted:
-----------

Caps Lock key was perpetually locked, backspace key did not work, up arrow and down arrow keys would not work.  He had already done a full system shutdown and restart and this did not clear the problems.  He acquired another portable wireless keyboard and mouse and the same behaviors were exhibited when these were in use, so the issue definitely was with the computer.   Windows 8 uses a form of shutdown known as a hybrid shutdown by default, where certain state information is written to a file at shutdown an read back in again upon restart.  I disabled this feature such that a shutdown completely powers down the laptop and retains no information regarding the prior session upon reboot.  This cleared all of the keyboard issues for the laptop and external keyboards upon rebooting.

-----------

I had never encountered anything like this before, and it was sheer luck that I eventually hit upon Fast Startup as the root cause.  The kinds of things that can go wrong if there is a corruption in the OS system state are myriad, and if that state is written out to a hibernation file and reloaded, you just carry it along.  Of course, one could do a forced Restart and that should clear it, but that's counterintuitive to those of us who have been taught for decades that using Shut Down was the definitive way to power the computer off and have Windows reload from scratch when powered up again.

If one wants to use Fast Startup then have at it.  Just realize that if you start to have inexplicable weirdness going on that doing a forced Restart, which does make Windows reload from the disc from scratch, is the first thing you should do.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Ok, fair enough, one guy using the less than stellar Windows 8 (Sample size is n = 1), not to mention it was operating system corruption causing the problem and not fast boot. Still not really much of a sample from millions and millions of Windows 10 users whom don’t have these problems.

JR

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 6:24 AM

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 09:13 AM, Jeremy wrote:

Out of curiosity, what issues has this fast boot caused?

Taken directly from a client report written in November 2015, regarding a Windows 8 machine that was using Fast Startup and where the hibernation file used for same had become corrupted:
-----------

Caps Lock key was perpetually locked, backspace key did not work, up arrow and down arrow keys would not work.  He had already done a full system shutdown and restart and this did not clear the problems.  He acquired another portable wireless keyboard and mouse and the same behaviors were exhibited when these were in use, so the issue definitely was with the computer.   Windows 8 uses a form of shutdown known as a hybrid shutdown by default, where certain state information is written to a file at shutdown an read back in again upon restart.  I disabled this feature such that a shutdown completely powers down the laptop and retains no information regarding the prior session upon reboot.  This cleared all of the keyboard issues for the laptop and external keyboards upon rebooting.

-----------

I had never encountered anything like this before, and it was sheer luck that I eventually hit upon Fast Startup as the root cause.  The kinds of things that can go wrong if there is a corruption in the OS system state are myriad, and if that state is written out to a hibernation file and reloaded, you just carry it along.  Of course, one could do a forced Restart and that should clear it, but that's counterintuitive to those of us who have been taught for decades that using Shut Down was the definitive way to power the computer off and have Windows reload from scratch when powered up again.

If one wants to use Fast Startup then have at it.  Just realize that if you start to have inexplicable weirdness going on that doing a forced Restart, which does make Windows reload from the disc from scratch, is the first thing you should do.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Jeremy,

You asked for an example, I gave you an example.  Spend approximately 30 seconds on a web search on "Windows 10 Fast Startup Problems" and the results you'll get and you'll realize this is far from an isolated incident.   And, by the way, Fast Startup is implemented the same in both OSes and, as I said before, the issues can come from something causing corruption in the hibernation file, and that does happen.  It's no different than the myriad problems that can creep in to web browsers via cache corruption that "magically disappear" if one simply purges cache.  The hibernation file is "OS Cache," and it can get screwed up completely independently of an OS that's perfectly fine.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Well, I don’t want to get into any sort of typical, heated user list discussions, but I asked for examples (plural). You gave me one. I don’t doubt your claim, I’m just saying fast boot may not be the cause of many issues people are experiencing since operating systems are complex. Of course I’ve not explored any of these individual’s computers, but I am a former tech and understand the subtleties of individual computers and how the operating system is supposed to perform for all users. I can also run a Google search on the Pope and find problems with him, suggesting Google searches for X, Y, and Z is not how one presents a good argument—too early for me to recall the name of this logical fallacy. . J  

All I can do is provide my opinion and desire to help, but sometimes discussions get out of hand, so please forgive me for walking away from a discussion which may end as such. J

JR

Sent: Friday, August 24, 2018 7:29 AM

Jeremy,

You asked for an example, I gave you an example.  Spend approximately 30 seconds on a web search on "Windows 10 Fast Startup Problems" and the results you'll get and you'll realize this is far from an isolated incident.   And, by the way, Fast Startup is implemented the same in both OSes and, as I said before, the issues can come from something causing corruption in the hibernation file, and that does happen.  It's no different than the myriad problems that can creep in to web browsers via cache corruption that "magically disappear" if one simply purges cache.  The hibernation file is "OS Cache," and it can get screwed up completely independently of an OS that's perfectly fine.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Jeremy,

I gave one example because that example clearly proves the point.  All it took was turning off Fast Startup and when the machine was rebooted (no forced Restart had ever been performed, oddly enough) the issue disappeared.

I'm not going to "heat up" the discussion as there's no debate if one looks at the available evidence.   Fast Startup has been implicated in a number of different issues by a number of different experts.  There are ways to recognize those issues and to either force a Restart or to choose to disable Fast Startup so that that range of issues does not occur.

I happen to prefer the latter option as I don't shut my computer down very often and when I do I want for it to be completely shut down.  The amount of time it takes for my system to boot from scratch is irrelevant to me, and I'd rather know it is booting from scratch.  Others will feel differently.

When it comes to Fast Startup, when that's something I desire, I'd far rather use conventional hibernation on those occasions because I'd rather have both my user (or users if more than one person were to be logged on) state and OS state preserved.  Fast Startup is, for me, a half-measure that I simply do not want.  Since it is known to cause issues if the hibernation file experiences corruption, from whatever the root cause, it's just not worth the bother to me, either.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill